What are you reading?

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

How is this? I really enjoy some Brett Easton Ellis..

- spidey

If you like him - you'll love this. Cant put it down.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sacrilege!

Just as there is only one true rhythm of the one, there is only one true fonk bible!

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

How is it so far? This one's definitely on my list unless I get word that it's

I would highly recommend it....I have learned alot. You kinda have to take that with a grain of salt tho, cause like I said, I hadn't really followed much non-mainstream media current events.

It was just interesting to learn what birthed the insurgency and the various factors/mistakes that contributed to it. Basically the whole book has you going "hoooooly shiiiiiiiiit". It hooks you with the whole 'green zone' angle, but also has alot about who did what (like disbanding the iraqi army & the de-Baathification inititive), and how that affected the people of iraq directly.

-pj

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Reading, not really... but it's a piece of paper, I've found some BLACK PANTHER posters earlier this week, in a old bookstore!

• currently reading

because i got it for free.

next'd be
    or

• It's great so far...

really want to read this next...

• The Musicians guide to Pro-Tools

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    The Musicians guide to Pro-Tools

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Definitely getting into Dylan more because of it. I have slept on so many of my parents favourite artists
    it's not even funny - time to grow up and grow a beard. Cosign on Lunar Park, by the way.

• I'm reading Lost in the City by Edward P. Jones. I recently read "The Known World" by him and it was incredible. This book, a collection of short stories all set in DC, is also good, but really heavy and violent and depressing and not at all making me wanna visit DC.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    What Is The What by Dave Eggers- AMAZING. I thought I couldn't love this dude any more than I do.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Sacrilege!

Just as there is only one true rhythm of the one, there is only one true fonk bible!

I actually read Ricky Vincent's book when it first came out.

Should I bow down in front of it and chant FUNKBOMB! ten times and repent?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    current library joints:

• current library joints:

I enjoyed this one. Having been a teenage fuckup I could relate to some of it. Except the jail part. I would not have survived jail.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just finished this

Which is actually the first of Smith's books that I've properly enjoyed from start to finish

And before that this:

Which only really struck me afterwards and, while a little contrived, I think is wortha secnd read.

Having read the dice man before these two it seemed high time to move away from the bookshop section marked "middle aged man's personal crisis" and am now getting into this:

The Weinsteins are douches, that's taken for granted, but Redford's looking pretty shitty at the moment.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

I enjoyed this one. Having been a teenage fuckup I could relate to some of it. Except the jail part. I would not have survived jail.

the best books are about fuck ups!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    and I've been dabbling in the following for the past couple of months: Maurice Merleau-Ponty Phenomenology of Perception, Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari One Thousand Plateaus, Andre Lepecki Exhausting Performance, and Allen Weiss Breathless. The last two are professors in my department. I really wish that I was better at reading lots of stuff at once.

• Just finished this

off a strutters recommendation.

and know im moving back to:

for more practical reasons

• I just started reading Sir John Hawkins (aka sir john horny hawkins): Queen Elizabeth's Slave Trader by Harry Kelsey.

Amir

• Just finished Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men (very good, but not necessarily major) and Charles Mingus's Beneath the Underdog (I really liked it, although I thought there was too much of the pimping stuff). I'm currently reading Gogol's Dead Souls (long overdue) and James Joyce's Dubliners.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men

That's slated to be the next Coen Brothers movie (it was originally written as a script and then converted to novel form). I'm thinking that should be a perfect match.

• Very entertaining.

• Looking forward to getting further into this guys head, might not be so good for my own head though.

I think I may have seen someone mention this one here, so I asked for it for Christmas being the Michigander that I am.

• You should also check out The Masters and the Slaves: A Study in the Development of Brasilian Civilization by Gilberto Freye. It's some heavy reading, but well worth it.

Amir

• Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men

That's slated to be the next Coen Brothers movie (it was originally written as a script and then converted to novel form). I'm thinking that should be a perfect match.

Yeah, no doubt. As a fan of the Coen's, I'm hoping they'll deliver after a couple of dry years-- with material like that and Tommy Lee Jones in the lead it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm really curious to see what they'll come up with for the ending.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

How is this? I really enjoy some Brett Easton Ellis..

- spidey

If you like him - you'll love this. Cant put it down.

Serious co-sign I finished Lunar Park about a week ago and it's still
    with me....
    Very different than some of this other stuff, more supernatural....
    and very creepy!

Just started Shackleton's first hand account of his expedition to Antarctica,
    those guys were real fucking men, hard as nails adventurers!