What are you reading?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Books, magazines, liner notes, cereal boxes?I'm about halfway through "Champagne" by Don and Petie Kladstrup. Good read. Well-written and not at all too stuffy, as food histories can sometimes be.I had no idea how much trouble went down in the Champagne region, going all the way back to Atilla the Hun. And Loius XIV and Dom Perignon were born in the same year and also died in the same year. Interetsing trivia for a wine connoissuer such as myself.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm about to start reading this:

I started reading this in mid-December, but got distracted with the holidays. I'm sure I mentioned MacMillan before, but I heard about him when I was back home seven years ago, and really liked what he had written. He's lived in Hawai'i for about 25 years, and the stories he writes with a Hawaiian theme often have something to do with the ocean, be it boating, fishing, or whatever. Those books I've read by him were short stories, but this one is one story so I look forward to this. It is available through Amazon, but you can also go to Bamboo Ridge Press:
    http://www.bambooridgepress.com

Other books he has written include:
    Squid Eye[/b]
    Exiles From Time[/b]
    Ullambana[/b]

These three are available through http://www.anoaipress.com

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• as per my new years resolution to read the classics I should have read by now but havent, I am reading:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I turned in my late pass and read Fiasco, finishing it a couple days ago. It's a hell of a book, though it can angery and/or depress you by showing just how badly our government screwed the pooch regarding Iraq.

• Currently reading "The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records". It's a great book, a lot of interesting history about Impulse. There are 2-page anecdotes throughout the book detailing certain albums that give some background info about the recording session, how the album came about and so on.

Next up is Bukowski's "Factotum". I've read a bunch of his books and want to see the movie after I read the book. I also picked up the latest in the 'Hannibal' books, I didn't even know there was a new one until I was at a bookstore. I don't know if it'll be all that great, but I'm interested nonetheless.

• My 12th graders and I just started a spy/detective/mystery unit with this as the main piece. We started to watch "Goldfinger" today in order to solidify our knowledge of what makes a spy/detective/mystery story. I had them all take notes on "plot," "themes," "characters," and, of course, strictly for the boys, "Lines that will get women in the sack." We'll probably dig into some old-timey comic books like "Dick Tracy" and listen to those old "The Shadow" programs. It'd be fun to throw a Murder Mystery Pizza Lunch Theater (tm), but it'd never get off the ground with this group.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

READING IS FUNDEMATAL!

My 12th graders and I just started a spy/detective/mystery unit with this as the main piece. We started to watch "Goldfinger" today in order to solidify our knowledge of what makes a spy/detective/mystery story. I had them all take notes on "plot," "themes," "characters," and, of course, strictly for the boys, "Lines that will get women in the sack." We'll probably dig into some old-timey comic books like "Dick Tracy" and listen to those old "The Shadow" programs. It'd be fun to throw a Murder Mystery Pizza Lunch Theater (tm), but it'd never get off the ground with this group.

That sounds like a fuckin' dope unit. Any Agatha Christie up in there?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Currently reading "The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records". It's a great book, a lot of interesting history about Impulse. There are 2-page anecdotes throughout the book detailing certain albums that give some background info about the recording session, how the album came about and so on.

I've been wanting to pick this up. Reading up on Rudy Van Gelder's studio and his mentality towards capturing the music in a studio that, for most, was an odd set-up yet added the kind of warmth which kept artists coming to him for years.

• Currently reading "The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records". It's a great book, a lot of interesting history about Impulse. There are 2-page anecdotes throughout the book detailing certain albums that give some background info about the recording session, how the album came about and so on.

Just got this in the mail today. Looking forward to reading it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Looks like a winner, dude.

• HAHA! Yeah right! That is a sinful book--I would never cheat on Christ with a real human.

• I've enjoyed the details about ABC Execs and how they worked with Bob Thiele, Creed Taylor, and other people at Impulse. It's amazing that such a high level of quality was maintained for so many albums over the course of 10+ years.

I've been wanting to pick this up. Reading up on Rudy Van Gelder's studio and his mentality towards capturing the music in a studio that, for most, was an odd set-up yet added the kind of warmth which kept artists coming to him for years.

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts

My 12th graders and I just started a spy/detective/mystery unit with this as the main piece.

Alan Watts, in his lecture series that used to air on WFMU, gave a nice lecture on Chesterton. Worth checking out if you can find it (I have it on Cassette in some box somewhere).

Talks a lot about music in that same lecture, and music's relation to life (neither are 'end' oriented pursuits).

• Sorry, probably no Agatha.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im going through a whole collection of steven k dicks novels and short stories. Reading lots of back issues of tape op. Thats basically been it lately.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

french version

essential thoughts

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

&

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

again

• Probably the first ever NYTimes Book of the Year inclusion to mention DJ Assault's 'Ass & Titties'.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I havn't followed current events nearly enough in the past few years (beyond the fluff on tv), so I started reading some new non fiction. Currently on this:

• for the second time .. incredibly poetic

• for the second time .. incredibly poetic

i dated a girl who was a writer/editor who swore by this book. will have to get around to this one.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Read this at the beginning of X-mas break:

Bought this years ago and just now finished reading it. Has some nice general overviews of groups plus discographies.

Currently reading this:

I havn't followed current events nearly enough in the past few years (beyond the fluff on tv), so I started reading some new non fiction. Currently on this:

How is it so far? This one's definitely on my list unless I get word that it's

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

downloaded from a blog, can't afford an actual one and can't find it 'in the field'.

But this is worth the trouble, so far a great, great read! The author went on tour and performed onstage and in the studio with the band in '73 on the Muscle of Love Tour, and spills a lot of beans about the band from the inside. So far one of the best rock books I have read.

• did this one over the summer -

this was a neat read about the development of one of the US's earliest planned communities (after Levittown)

currently reading:

• Starting off the year w/ some mindless fare

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

How is this? I really enjoy some Brett Easton Ellis..

I'm currently reading

- spidey