new version of s e r a t o

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
We are pleased to announce the release of Scratch LIVE version 1.6.3. This version contains a number of stability improvements, mainly focused on the problem of handling corrupt MP3s. It also includes a tempo tapper[/b] to help you to calculate the BPM of your tracks, and automatic BPM-syncing for the TTM 57SL effectsyezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzir

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    How about that whitelabel.net steez? If labels adopt this it's gonna save everyone a lot of $$.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    whitelabel site is really slow right now but you can use your rane forums login on there so everything is already setup

• fuck I wish I had the $$$ to get a setup.

• Any word on processing? I tried to run 1.6.2 and it would make my laptop (not a powerhouse) too hot so I'm back on 1.5 which uses less processing power. Sticker drift is fer the birdz.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i got the email today at work and just installed it just now. Im loving the tap tempo. Other stability issues i had they corrected. Overall a good maintainence update. Here is the full list
    Scratch LIVE version 1.6.3 Full change log
    - Fixed audio cache running out on some low-spec Macs.
    - Improved handling of comments and the comment language.
    - Fixed issue where a song unload could cause the UI to freeze for a second or so.
    - Fixed mp3's being incorrectly marked as corrupt due to splitting.
    - Fine tuned incomplete WAV file detection.
    - Crates can now be dragged onto the Prepare button.
    - Fixed modulated distortion in the audio if you are repeating a track in Absolute mode.
    - Made changes to the song library as an additional safeguard against the empty crates problem.
    - Readjusted GUI vs. audio cache priorities.
    - Changed the drag and drop scroll delay time to be longer.
    - Fixed a GUI freeze that could happen if loading a song to a deck that is not playing.
    - Fixed unexpected behaviour when multiple "jump to cue" hot keys were pressed at once.
    - Cue stutter now works for temporary cue points in Relative mode.
    - Fixed graphics glitch when the track position marker would appear to jump briefly to a random position.
    - Fixed disappearing ticks in popup menus.
    - More improvements to song load time.
    - Fixed scrolling in track window on Mac when pointer is stationary in the scrolling trigger zones at the top and bottom of the window.
    - Mp3 files that have been improperly trimmed or split (non-zero data pointer in the first frame) will be flagged corrupt.
    - Added "Tap Tempo" feature.
    - Fixed USB dropouts and performance drops that occured while playing through a silent section of a small number of tracks.
    - When hovering the mouse pointer over a corrupt/missing file icon in the track window, a message giving details of the problem will display in the status bar.
    - Fixed the 'track stack' crate from appearing in the crate window as a result of repositioning songs in the prepare window. If this crate has appeared while running a previous version you can safely delete it.
    - Changed the crate reading and writing behaviour in such as a way that it should no longer be possible to have any permanent data loss (ie. empty crates). If an error *does* occur while reading the crates off the disk an error message will show in the status bar.
    - Improved scrolling behaviour in the Browse window when using arrow keys.
    - Reinstated cue stutter when pressing keyboard cue shortcuts while playing. Note that this only works with the keyboard at this stage as the stutter was originally a side-effect of the operating system keyboard repeat.
    - Fixed the track list sometimes not updating straight away after importing songs / rescanning tags.
    - Fixed BPM of certain tracks not being displayed.
    - Improved window scrolling when dragging tracks across the track list borders. There is a delay before scrolling the window, plus the scroll speed varies depending on the mouse position in the scroll area.
    - Fixed popup windows from being drawn over by other objects (eg. tooltips, popup menus on the 57 panel) (mac only).
    - Fixed >44.1kHz songs not displaying waveforms when zoomed out the maximum amount.
    - Improved GUI performance on song loads / needle drops plus improved smoothness of the waveform displays.
    - Fixed minor visual bug where the pitch reading would be incorrect on startup, after exit in 45RPM internal mode.
    - Added missing beatmatching display tooltip.
    - Fixed the task bar iTunes loading message not clearing if no iTunes xml file is found. Now it displays "iTunes library not found"
    - Fixed the task bar iTunes loading message not clearing if you check and uncheck the "read iTunes library" option before it finishes.
    - Removed the auto and prev / next buttons from absolute mode. Keyboard shortcuts for prev and next still work.
    - Improved MP3 stability and added checks for more types of corrupt files.
    - Fixed MP3 files that are not corrupt being erroneously marked corrupt during playback.
    - Improved recognition of unsupported WAV formats.
    - WAV files greater than 2GB are now marked as not supported.

• they seem to be working hard.

now let's see how this works...

"What file format does Whitelabel.net use?
    Whitelabel.net uses a custom file format: Whitelabel MP3s (file extension .wl.mp3). These files will play as a low quality preview in any MP3 player, and a high quality version within Microwave Scratch LIVE. The Whitelabel.net format files are specially prepared for use in Scratch LIVE - they have had their overviews built, they are tagged with song and artist info, BPM, and album art where possible. The file will be the equivelent in quality to a 320KB MP3 when played in Scratch LIVE."

• i'm still on 1.4 and know a lot of people, like myself, who tried 1.5 but switched back after experiencing crashes. i think im gonna upgrade to 1.6.3 because the whitelable mp3s only work if u have the newest version installed. one thing i don't like is that it seems like you can't make your own edits to their tracks since they don't show up until you load them in scratchlive. am i right about that?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Now if they'll just release ASIO drivers...

• Call me a luddite but I think I'll stick to records. You clean em, then you play em.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Call me a luddite but I think I'll stick to records. You clean em, then you play em.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Call me a luddite but I think I'll stick to records. You clean em, then you play em.

amen

• The new specs don't mention anything about processing (something about lo=spec macs, n/a for me). Has anyone tried the new software out on a lower-spec pc? Ah fuck it I'll install it and report back if anyone is interested. Thanks for the heads up on the new version.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Josh I know you're a PC dude, but I'll be gigging tonight with the new version on Mac, and I'll let everyone know the score.

• Josh I know you're a PC dude, but I'll be gigging tonight with the new version on Mac, and I'll let everyone know the score.

anyone know the cost? or where there is a good deal on this (including hardware...mac related

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm sure the cost is probably the same (around $500) and I'm unsure if they have shipped the new version in the latest packages, but if you're a member of the Microwave team you can download it fr free from the website.

• I purchased mine in late november from guitar center for 499. it shipped with an older version and i downloaded the newer version easy peasy...

Just downloaded this new version... we'll see how it pans out.

• i've used the new version about 3 times now, and so far so good... 1.6.2 had a graphic glitch where the white marker would jump around... it never affected the music, but it always scared the shit out of me... that seems to be gone, and the tracks are loading up faster now... the bpm counter is nice and works well, although i already have everything bpmed... my partner used it on a bunch of his stuff saturday, and it's easy and works like it should

@ whoever said they went back to 1.4: i think 1.5 was one of the most problematic builds, several dudes i know had it lock up, but i think they straightened all that out... 1.6.2 & 1.6.3 (so far) are rock solid

• parenparen 537 Posts
    automatic BPM-syncing for the TTM 57SL effects

now that is interesting. still not enough to make the switch from the 909 but it's a step in the right direction for effects integration.

--

I used 1.6.3 for 3 hours on a 17" 2.33 GHz Macbook Pro without any problems last night.

• automatic BPM-syncing for the TTM 57SL effects

now that is interesting. still not enough to make the switch from the 909 but it's a step in the right direction for effects integration.

--

I used 1.6.3 for 3 hours on a 17" 2.33 GHz Macbook Pro[/b] without any problems last night.

I've been thinking of getting that Macbook. I've been a PC user all my life so not sure if its worth it though but I was tempted by the specs compared to PC laptops and the reliablity that everyone goes on about. But I need to run XP on it to run AutoCAD and other PC only stuff....

How have you found it so far paren?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i want to see vst intergration by the next update. its about time for that shit. might fuck with the integrity of the stabilty but fuck it, i want to get buck wild with that shit.

• parenparen 537 Posts

I've been thinking of getting that Macbook. I've been a PC user all my life so not sure if its worth it though but I was tempted by the specs compared to PC laptops and the reliablity that everyone goes on about. But I need to run XP on it to run AutoCAD and other PC only stuff....

How have you found it so far paren?

I don't really suffer from OS loyalty. I choose my systems based on what's most functional for me. Like most, I've leaned towards Macs for design, publishing, and music endeavors (my primary businesses). I was using an ailing 1.5 GHz 15" PowerBook as my primary laptop before this upgrade. I chose to upgrade because it was time for me - (my other machine was growing too slow to handle apps that I needed to run at optimized speeds; I required a dual-boot machine to run apps like Visio; I needed to process and document Macs and Windows iterations of software, etc.)

The move to the intel chipset and the speedbump that came with the move to Core2Duo made this an ideal time for me to upgrade. I think this is a fine time to switch, I don't expect any "big" macbook changes (case redesign, massive speedbumps, etc) for a while.

Negatives: I disappointed with the LCD in the current MacBook Pro. This has been well documented elsewhere, but suffice it to say, the backlighting and color banding is not what I would have expected from a $3000.00 Apple product. That having been said, I can live with it while I closely monitor new revs for changes.

Only other minor glitch in my model is a loose power button that will require an annoying trip to the genius bar in the next week or so to resolve.

Parallels has been great for me thus far in terms of running XP on the Macbook Pro. Switching from environments is just like fast user switching. For my needs, it's a much better solution than Bootcamp.

in terms of running Microwave on the Macbook Pro... I've not had the usb drop outs that some Macbook users are complaining about. Tracks load to the virtual decks much faster than on my PowerBook and much much faster than on the iBooks i've seen running Microwave. From a performance standpoint, I'm quite happy.

===

I'd like to see some video footage of effects being triggered on the SL57 using 1.6.3. If anyone has seen any, please pass along a link.