CNN reports: RIP James Brown

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    it's sad to hear his legacy underestimated, this guy invented music as we know it.
    RIP

First JD, now JB...06 sucks big time when it comes to this. Damn. Truly one of the G.O.A.T...

• We just lost the Godfather of SOUL MUSIC??? What a loss...

I'm listening to nothing but JB records right now. Damn. What a loss.

• dayum. RIP to the man, the Godfather of all this shit. wow.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

RIP... 1000 drummers are crying.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    man thats crazy
    i knew this was goin to happen. after i saw dude was sick... this is bugged man
    i had heavy jb in rotation last night. to wake up and see this is crazy...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    when MLK was shot, the only reason boston did not have riots (and was the only major american city not to have them) was because JB played there and the show was broadcast for free on public TV and he told people to stay home, chill out, and watch him. i can't think of another music figure in the last 50 years with that kind of socio-political power.

A Police spokesman at that time was quoted with the words "A handmove by James Brown is worth more than 100 cops"...

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Don't have much to add to what's already posted here, just a very depressing day

• yeah, pretty crappy christmas news. james isn't going anywhere though. glad i got to add him to my list of artists i got to see perform before they passed into legend. i wish i was at home so i could throw on some jb 45s.

• Thank you Mr. Brown.

You changed my life.

Dude was the definition of the American Dream. Gonna blast nothing but JB and JB Productions at the store tommorow.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Damn... just heard the news. Shocking to say the least. RIP to the Godfather.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    wow...im in France. Sad day. Cold freezing. Cold sweat too...Dude, you changed my life too. Bad day. Im gonna listen to King Hero??n all day...

• No JB equals no funk equals no hip-hop equals no soulstrut. He made me proud to be from Georgia and was even the grand marshall of my freshman year homecoming parade. RIP and much respect and love.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

He was it. Period.

R.I.P.

Thank you Brother James!

• rest in peace

the man impacted music listened to by millions and probably billions of people. worked till his last days and will never be forgotten. he leaves too much of a legacy for me to be sad cause he's going to live forever.

beautiful that his death wasnt long and drawn out and he left us while in complete control of his self. Thats a good time to move on. Life lived to the fullest.

Thanks so much JB.

• thank you,
    Godfather, prime minister, king, and soul brother #1
    RIP

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    RIP.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Cant beleive this

RIP to a pioneer that did it all himself...

Mr Dynamite and the godfather of soul and father of funk

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    Thanks for all you did JB.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Wow, first thing i saw when i got on the computer.

Horrible news, but as we're seeing here, his impact will be felt long past today. Listen and remember.

RIP

• RIP

• WOW..RIP JB. his music is timeless. Every hip hop producer/artist need to realize it's his records, style, lyrics that has shaped hip hop and made it what it is today. From all of the first sampling that was done to now. RIP

• much love

• In the words of one of JB's songs:

"I Guess I'll Have To Cry, Cry, Cry"

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Found out as soon as I woke up. Merry Christmas to me.

Damn.

RIP to THE greatest.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    best respects

• can every one stop saying shit like "oh shit, i'm glad i saw him" or "man, i wished i saw him"

shit is mad shallow.

No, it's not either. Reflecting on the last time you saw someone is a totally natural occurrence. What did JB himself sing on "Maybe The Last Time?" "Look around you, over and over again...shake hands with your best friend...you might not ever see him again..."

As for me...saw him three times, and the first time I got to shake his bruised, battered hand twice. Out of the thousands of albums I own, the most albums I got by any one artist is James Brown (I'm guessing 25-30) and you can bet that was no accident. We love them funk classics, but even his off-the-wall experiments (like Sho' Is Funky Down Here, his "rock" album) had some kind of appeal to them.

What more can I say? Genius personified. I'm glad I saw him. AND heard him.

I'm gonna spin some JB at my NYE set for DAMN sure.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Already Deebo'ed my moms christmas music and made them listen to "YOUR LOVE WAS GOOD TO ME", becausae i loved his music and needed to hear that sweet sad song on this unfortunate day. RIP JB

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's true, when I heard this over morning coffee, it
    felt like a punch in the gut. The man was a King.

At least we can say he lived enough for 3 lifetimes
    of any other man - in 73 years he did it all.

The creator, the instigator and the innovator.

God Bless JB, may he rest in peace - though I
    suspect he'll be the hardest working man
    in Heaven, as well. Sing on, James.