La Haine

2»

Comments

• Nique La Police

Anyone have an MP3?

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts
    La Hain is great, picked it up on dvd in London last spring...
    As far as ghettos in paris check out this guy JR and his book 28millimetres.

28millimetres

• Speaking of French movies, I bought "Bande A Parte" by Jean-Luc Godard yesterday.
    That scene when they dance in the cafe is fantastic.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Man...y'all americans still talk about Mc Solaar, so i cannot be mad at y'all "loving" this flick. Even Jodie Foster endorsed it back then...From a technical point of view, it wasn't too bad. But the movie was not anything close to a good flick if you have to talk about the scenario, cast or relevancy (putting back the movie when it came out, the context wasn't today's situation).

I read a line about how this movie represented french, a generation of people or whatever...let me tell y'all. I am this generation you are talking about, and this movie was not cool back then. It became cool because Kassowitz blew as a movie maker. And because Vincent Cassel ended up fucking around with Brad Pitt and shit. But when the movie came out, Kassowitz was getting booed left and right for what he did. People from the surburbs (where i was raised) wasn't feeling this movie. We was all stuck by Spike Lee's movies already and we didn't expect no out-of-space shit. And that's what this movie was...Nothing of what you see in this movie was close to what was happening in France...it was just Kassowitz romance about it. He never understand people from the projects and he will never understand them because he don't know...he's just fascinated. Since then, he never did anything remotely close to this subject because he got so much bad vibes out of this movie that i'm sure he prefer to stay off the radar. And for the record, Cut Killer is a wack DJ. Pretty much like Clue for french. Good for mixtapes, but that's it.

I didn't want to break the mood...sorry. If you want to see a good french movie, watch that :

nothing hip-hop in that, but that'a a real movie at least...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Man...y'all americans still talk about Mc Solaar, so i cannot be mad at y'all "loving" this flick. Even Jodie Foster endorsed it back then...From a technical point of view, it wasn't too bad. But the movie was not anything close to a good flick if you have to talk about the scenario, cast or relevancy (putting back the movie when it came out, the context wasn't today's situation).

I read a line about how this movie represented french, a generation of people or whatever...let me tell y'all. I am this generation you are talking about, and this movie was not cool back then. It became cool because Kassowitz blew as a movie maker. And because Vincent Cassel ended up fucking around with Brad Pitt and shit. But when the movie came out, Kassowitz was getting booed left and right for what he did. People from the surburbs (where i was raised) wasn't feeling this movie. We was all stuck by Spike Lee's movies already and we didn't expect no out-of-space shit. And that's what this movie was...Nothing of what you see in this movie was close to what was happening in France...it was just Kassowitz romance about it. He never understand people from the projects and he will never understand them because he don't know...he's just fascinated. Since then, he never did anything remotely close to this subject because he got so much bad vibes out of this movie that i'm sure he prefer to stay off the radar. And for the record, Cut Killer is a wack DJ. Pretty much like Clue for french. Good for mixtapes, but that's it.

I didn't want to break the mood...sorry. If you want to see a good french movie, watch that :

And there you have it straight from the horse's mouth

• Man...y'all americans still talk about Mc Solaar

That's funny because I haven't heard that name since Jazzmatazz.

Any movie that has skinheads catchin' a beat down gets a pass from me.

• Man...y'all americans still talk about Mc Solaar, so i cannot be mad at y'all "loving" this flick. Even Jodie Foster endorsed it back then...From a technical point of view, it wasn't too bad. But the movie was not anything close to a good flick if you have to talk about the scenario, cast or relevancy (putting back the movie when it came out, the context wasn't today's situation).

In all honesty, who cares what you think ?
    It's a movie, Kassovitz never said he was gonna depict the way people live in the suburbs... You obvioulsy took it for granted.
    It's ART ! Like music. If you people feel that movie, be it ! For myself, I love it, I came from the suburbs too, I know when things are relevant or not, that won't make it a bad movie.

And I love that Cut Killa scene too ! Even if he sucks as a deejay. The scene is just AWESOME !

His movie 'Metisse' with some related topics (cliches among suburban people and people from other countries) was good too even if it's more or less a french adaptation of the first Spike Lee...

You gots to chill like EPMD once said...

• In all honesty, who cares what you think ?
    It's a movie, Kassovitz never said he was gonna depict the way people live in the suburbs... You obvioulsy took it for granted.
    It's ART ! Like music. If you people feel that movie, be it ! For myself, I love it, I came from the suburbs too, I know when things are relevant or not, that won't make it a bad movie.

And I love that Cut Killa scene too ! Even if he sucks as a deejay. The scene is just AWESOME !

His movie 'Metisse' with some related topics (cliches among suburban people and people from other countries) was good too even if it's more or less a french adaptation of the first Spike Lee...

You gots to chill like EPMD once said...

Strange how we french people are ticklish as soon as we speak about suburbs.. It always ends with a beef on the soulstrut threads.

As for Cut Killer or Solaar skills, beware with the old schooler, theses guys could still probably kick some juvenile asses!

SO..

Hey by the way french strutters, as anybody of you watched the radio nova DVD?
    Some great (or hilarious) moments of french ol'school hip hop.

Solaar kickin azz???lol c'mon Rob. Last time he kicked azz was in 92 on his second LP. That's a looooooooong time ago. And Cut Killer...you know what it is, if you're 75ers, this dude was always a controversy since so many DJ's was better than him back then and never got one inch of recognition. And dude didn't know how to cut kill nothing back then man...he didn't know how to scratch in sync...His party sets was horrible. Dee Nasty was kickin his azz every night. Even my man Goldfingers was better than him. So much DJs in France with crzay skillz man...and you got Cut Killer to represent you. I'm sorry but it was a joke...nowadays things are getting back to normal a bit, but back then he was taking all the spotlight.

In all honesty, who cares what you think
    Nobody my dear, but if you feel offended, just don't read my post and certainly don't reply to it then...i have no time to argue about it, i was just adding some input so my fellow american movie fans don't think the movie was all that for at least ONE person... I didn't take nothing for granted FYI. I'm just an avid movie watcher and i so happened to not like "La Haine". Not because he didn't depict the surburbs or whatever, not because he's not from the surburbs, but because the storyline sucked, the balck and white option got on my nerve and the cast was questionnable. He's like Kanye West for me if you want a weird analogy. He makes good movies but sucks as an actor. I know you don't care, but hey, do a mixtape if i get on your nerve, that's a good therapy. And don't let me talk about JF Richet either...LOL.

• So much DJs in France with crzay skillz man...and you got Cut Killer to represent you.

I never said I was represented by Cut Killer as I don't know him at all, I never said he's the best DJ from France and everybody (including non french) know we have great DJs out there.
    And anyway at the age of 30 I don't need people to represent me and I don't give a damn about all that fake hip hop stance.

It's just that we don't need all the hatin' you constantly throw at people..

It's christmas time mate!

ok sorry, my bad, i was being too much of a republican/azzhole for a minute i guess...

La Haine is a great movie people...the scene with Cut Killer is a killer straight Kassowitz is a great actor. Merry Christmas too Rob...Keep on slinging them Libraries..!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I have dug on "La Heine" since I saw in the theatre years ago and
    it still packs the same punch it did then.
    Put me in the Kassovitz fan club for sure.
    I also dug Cafe Au Lait, even Crimson River was aiight.
    His role in Amelie was awesome too.
    Not to swing on his nuts too much but he's done some great work IMO.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I loved la haine

MA-6-T is really great too and its soundtrack is top notch

I got that cut chemist track for you btw

But it is true that cut chemist is the funkmasterflex de france

He had double H posse which had two great cuts and a bunch of crap on it

check tha Ma 6-T

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Just found out this was released on region 1 DVD two months ago. Criterion Collection.