AI Traded!

2»

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Jan 2nd, Sixers vs. Nuggets in Denver. Word. Everyone will be active on their new teams by then, right?

As a Philly fan, a long time Philly fan, i am pretty excited about this. All i care about is the games being exciting and they certainly haven't been. I have liked Andre Miller for a couple of seasons now and think he's going to set up our offense for good looks.

The draft pick situation is probably what's the most exciting and from a mass fan approval standpoint i think it could get an obviously impatient Philly crowd more interested in the rebuilding aspect of this move.

What do you folks think about AI's first game back in Philly...standing O or boo's? I think he'll get an ovation the first time back. But from there he could turn into a villian just like anyone else.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    woah, that was wierd. Did you just somehow retract your post Drewn?

Yeah, I let it go. I still think they have just as good a chance as anyone else to come out the West now, though.

What do you folks think about AI's first game back in Philly...standing O or boo's? I think he'll get an ovation the first time back. But from there he could turn into a villian just like anyone else.

Fans here have a great appreciation for what Iverson meant to this city. I haven't heard much discontent at all from people about him being traded, actually. Obviously folks don't want to see him go, but they know it's BEEN time to move on. I think definite standing ovation on his return to Philly and then all reaction will be in the spirit of competition, not in spite of his departure.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Having two Top Ten scorers has not been very successful in the last 30 years as far as winning Playoffs/Championships go.

With the exception of Kobe/Shaq here's what it looks like

Mid-90's Detroit - Jerry Stackhouse & Grant Hill - Missed Playoffs
    '91-'92 Golden State - Chris Mullin & Tim Hardaway - Lost in 1st Round
    '86 - Boston - Kevin McHale & Larry Bird - Lost in Finals
    Early 80's Denver Kiki Vandeweghe & Alex English (Were the #1 & #2 scorers in the NBA) Lost in 2nd Round and lost in the First round the following year.

'81-'82 - Denver Alex English & Dan Issel - Lost in 1st Round

I do not expect to see a title in Denver any time soon with AI/Melo.

• Having two Top Ten scorers has not been very successful in the last 30 years as far as winning Playoffs/Championships go.

Early 80's Denver Kiki Vandeweghe & Alex English (Were the #1 & #2 scorers in the NBA) Lost in 2nd Round and lost in the First round the following year.

Negative Nancy.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Having two Top Ten scorers has not been very successful in the last 30 years as far as winning Playoffs/Championships go.

I don't even think the owners are either. There are far greater rewards in the NBA for owners, players, and all others associated, besides winning championships; most notably money.

Yea, I was gonna compile a similar list, but

One-man teams are the easiest to defend; two-man teams are just as easy.

• There are far greater rewards in the NBA for owners, players, and all others associated, besides winning championships;

Haha, GTFOHWTB. You are kidding yourself if you think any player/coach/owner would rather have another X million dollars over winning a championship. By that rationale, AI would have been perfectly content with the 76ers for the rest of his career raking in 18 million dollars a year and losing.

As far as the Nuggets not making it to the Finals, nobody is predicting that they will this year. But I'll be laughing my ass off if they do! Nobody ever thought the Heat and Mavs would be in the finals last year...

Next year is another story.

And this, this was the funniest thing I've read all day so far:

One-man teams are the easiest to defend; two-man teams are just as easy.

Haha, again, plaese to GTFOHWTBS. AI and Melo will be as easy to stop as Kobe lakers without Shaq? Haha nope. You're dreamin'. Melo alone gets tripled every game and when he isn't triple teamed, he's doubled. Always. AI will be treated the same. You got a team with 7 players or some shit? I don't see how you equate stopping these two to being "easy".

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There are 4 things needed to win in the NBA....

Talent
    Discipline/Focus
    Fundamentals/Coaching
    Chemistry

You might be able to win with only 3 of them if the talent is that much better than the rest of the league.....but you can NEVER win a championship with just 2 of them.

Talent
    Discipline/Focus
    Fundamentals/Coaching
    Chemistry

You might be able to win with only 3 of them if the talent is that much better than the rest of the league.....but you can NEVER win a championship with just 2 of them.

Rock, you sure know your basketball! A+

Gb Diggs, you're missing my points completely. 2-man teams are limited in their potential. Now let that sink in.

If I were to build a championship franchise, I'd pick up somebody like Deron Williams or Devin Harris, and maybe a Prince or Okafor.

• If I were to build a championship franchise, I'd pick up somebody like Deron Williams or Devin Harris, and maybe a Prince or Okafor.

You should let George Karl know this because I don't think he has any experience with team building.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Talent
    Discipline/Focus
    Fundamentals/Coaching
    Chemistry

Gb Diggs, you're missing my points completely. 2-man teams are limited in their potential. Now let that sink in.

Were Shaq and Kobe an anomaly in the 2-man team theory?

What about Shaq and Wade? Would you consider that a 2-man team?

Talent
    Discipline/Focus
    Fundamentals/Coaching
    Chemistry

Were Shaq and Kobe an anomaly in the 2-man team theory?

What about Shaq and Wade? Would you consider that a 2-man team?

Shaq and Kobe were dominant, so yes they were an anomaly. That and they had unparalled support from Fisher, Horry, and Fox.

Shaq and Wade, when they won their ring, was mostly Wade against the Pistons. And Wade simply put on one of the most incredible displays of skill and intensity in recent playoff history.

• anyone see the snippet from the AI-stephen a interview? they just played it @ halftime of cavs-nets...

stephen a: what do you think of billy king?

[pause]

[...pause]

[seriously 30 second pause]

ai: someone i used to work for.

seriously, looking forward to some gems in that one later on. im not a big fan of your boy, yuichi, but he can coax crazy material from some dudes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    anyone see the snippet from the AI-stephen a interview? they just played it @ halftime of cavs-nets...

[pause]

[...pause]

seriously, looking forward to some gems in that one later on. im not a big fan of your boy, yuichi, but he can coax crazy material from some dudes.

This schitt will be historic. Steven A is that dude. And by the way: I am the Steven A of SoulStrut.

anyone see the snippet from the AI-stephen a interview? they just played it @ halftime of cavs-nets...

[pause]

[...pause]

This schitt will be historic. Steven A is that dude. And by the way: I am the Steven A of SoulStrut.

He's BEEN dude. For like 6 or 7 years now.

• anyone see the snippet from the AI-stephen a interview? they just played it @ halftime of cavs-nets...

[pause]

[...pause]

this interview was great. word assocation was the highlight:

Stephen A: Allen Iverson
    AI: the basketball player or the person?
    Stephen A: Both
    AI: the person, a husband, a father, a friend, misunderstood. the player, a killer.

[pause]

[...pause]

AI: the person, a husband, a father, a friend, misunderstood. the player, a killer.

Carnelo Anthony?

Killer

Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony together?

Killer duo.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

[pause]

[...pause]

Carnelo Anthony?

Killer

Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony together?

Killer duo.

Well, that duo will certainly kill the Nuggets' chemistry and assist totals!

• AI got his first start last night and dropped 28 points and 13 assists to lead the nuggets over the celtics. When Melo comes back it's .