on a sunday afternoon...

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited December 2006 in Announcements
COMING JANUARY 7TH, 2007MOTHEREFFEN LOS ANGELES IM ABOUT TO CUT THROUGH ALL THIS BULLSHIT NORTHERN SOUL, RAERFUNKSOULJAZZTURDS, CONSCIOUSRAPLIPTOLOGY AND BRING IT TO YOU WITH LOVE LIKE DICK HUGG.DOO WOP R&B SOULon a sunday afternoon...Mandrake2692 S. La Cienega Blvd.SUNDAYSNOON TO DUSK (RIP)[/b]psif u have oldies, bring them down. and when i say oldies i MEAN OLDIES. more to come...

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Lovin' that picture man. I'm gonna try to make it out.

• BRING OLDIES!!!!!![/b]

• i got your oldies....

this might actually get me out of the south bay

• SMOKI!!!!!!![/b]

this would make me very happy! and its not too far from you dude!

• just scanned the back of the flier. January 7th & 28th.

SPEND A LITTLE TIME WITH ME[/b]

• LA PEOPLES PLEASE COME OUT I MEAN IM GONNA DANCE REGARDLESS BUT ITD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO DANCE EVERY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND WHATNOTS![/b]

on a sunday afternoon...
    Sunday, January 7th, 2007
    2pm - dusk [RIP]

Mandrake
    2692 S. La Cienega Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA[/b]

• yyyyyeeeeaaaahhh!!!!!

oldies rule

• yay! do the mash p-ro-tato!!!!

• woohoo!!!

the gig was successful and the owners of mandrake really liked it. itll be a regular thing now. thanks to the strutters that came out, and to the mystery strutter!

mystery strutter, it would be real cool to have some bombs lining la cienega, im gon talk to a dude at pasadena dukes that i kinda know see if i can make that happen!

• i kep the crowd MOVEN!

wait for it

the myth

the legend

the dream!

spaceghost!!![/b]

• sh!g. thanks for having me on the decks. sorry we lost your matches. i guess i have become the poster-boy for on a sunday afternoon. i can understand it though, i was definitely the best looking of all the people there. especially since your hair-clipper incident, don't worry homie it'll grow back.

it was great to see t53g@ and b****e. t***a, i got your message loud and clear, plans are already in the works for another bbq session at the studio. get your records ready.

r**n. thanks for the blunt. much appreciated. you can see from the picture above it worked its magic.

mystery strutter. nice to meet you. look forward to seeing you around again. i think this is the link you were looking for... not doo-wop, oldies or r&b related

i had a lot of fun, can't wait to play some more old man shuffle in two weeks. see everybody soon.

• dogg whut the eff are u talking about my hair looks good!

• its funny cuz i walked in the joint, and right in front of me there is a big opening in the wall where i could see a dj with his back to me. i looked through the opening and saw this 1/2 bald dude and i thought to myself this ain't no thug night so i was probably in the wrong place. but then you turned 90 degrees and i saw your "good" side and knew it was the right place. you have some kind of weird jekyll and shig thing goin on dude.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I had a good time. Thanks for to Shig for letting SG and I screw around on the decks and check out his impressive 45 stash in between breaks. It was nice of Mrs. Bartender to hook up the free couple of drinks. The postcard promos were clever. It's funny how the building next to this place has a big drawing of a mustached guy with a hairy ballsack. I got a new set of tires today, so it's all good.

• its funny cuz i walked in the joint, and right in front of me there is a big opening in the wall where i could see a dj with his back to me. i looked through the opening and saw this 1/2 bald dude and i thought to myself this ain't no thug night so i was probably in the wrong place. but then you turned 90 degrees and i saw your "good" side and knew it was the right place. you have some kind of weird jekyll and shig thing goin on dude.

dude i have no idea what you keep going on about. but ok.

dude i have no idea what you keep going on about. but ok.

instead of ms-paint next time you might try... it should last longer, the ladies can run their fingers through it, and it doesn't come off while djing.

• you turkey!

• alright, so i been doing a little work since the last one. and i keeps it LA RELATED! keep your soul clubs and geek fests for yourselves. there is a very good chance la cienega will be lined with bomba's next sunday, january 28th. ive been talking with a dude from Duke's, one of the oldest lowrider car clubs in the country. if not THEE OLDEST. yes, mystery strutter[/b], im doing the work! so MOTHEREFFEN LA GET YOUR ASSES OFF THE COUCH! next sunday, january 28th, if it dont rain, it'll definately shine on la cienega.![/b]

OG DREZ, dude's cousin or brother or something is a well known "friend" of yours. u better show up!

smoki tokimoto, u said u'd be free! tell b****a i would really like it if d**** and the family came down. im trying to get my cousin to be more social.

jeffie graf, do what you did last time.

'trode, this aint soulstrut holmes, dont bring them raer turds EVER again. BRING OLDIES!!![/b]

LA! im starting to fall in love. get down here for some real angeleno shit! and bring your shuffle shoes!

• ok, mystery strutter, in light of recent events, Julio Ruelas [RIP], the Duke's may not be able to make it. but you never know. but i say, hey, i got a thing of turtle wax if u need it so shine up ur ranflas and roll on down.

everyone else, i gotta say, there's a cheese thread over in that more popular section and i forgot to mention that i have a love for the homemade corn tortilla with queso oaxaqueno. its like mexican string cheese and its salty yet creamy flavor is the perfect blend to the homemade tortilla. there are a few places i know of in town and one is right close to Mandrake. its TACOMIENDO [4502 inglewood blvd. culver city]. not sure if they have the cheese, but they definately make their own corn tortillas right there on the spot. im serious, once you have one youll never want them store boughts again. we can make a run if u like, well, id like it if someone went down there and got me a taco. either way, there's a oaxacan place like right up the block, havent tried it...yet.

on a sunday afternoon...
    sunday, jan 28
    2pm to dusk
    2692 la cienega blvd.[/b]

• UPDATE

THE DUKES WILL MAKE IT![/b]

see you all there

and drez and jeffie, brothers where are you. see u in a few hours.

love,
    shig

• BABY YOU GOT IT![/b]

come on out LA, i promise good music. i swear! and itll be like 70 degrees again. i think. plus there will be chrome on la cienega! so bring it my lovelies!

on a sunday afternoon
    sunday, jan 28
    2pm to dusk
    2692 la cienega blvd.
    la, ca[/b]

some more pics from the last one

inside mandrake

patio area with my main man bimbim

a comp justin74 gave the shig out of love. yes i said LOVE! he loves me. you love me! EVERYONE LOVE ME!

and, yes

once again

i bring you the mystical

wheat grass powered

supersexy [but taken]

no, im not talken bout myself

SPACEGHOST!

• k, im packed up & ready

spaceghost wants to know if that green foliage is swiss chard cuz he has a "slammin" macrobiotic recipe

ps

bring me happiness

• It's hella cold in NYC. Just thought Drezzie should know that. for real

• I smell TURTLE!

nice Rampart, etc. selection up there 'rola

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

That Pachuco record got 'I'm Horny' on it, right?

• there were 5 grandpa aged folks that showed up, which i feel gives me a certain level of street credibility.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    It seemed like there were more people than last time. Hopefully word of mouth will spread so the goldfish on the dancefloor won't get so lonely . Seriously, I hope this works out for you. Was the minidisc recording everything? Post some some empee3s, if so!

D*e*...Thanks, enjoy. By the way, I just found that the "Slipping Into Darkness" cover we've been trying to ID can be found here...

OR here

BONUS BEAT: Corniest use of the song ever?...

• alrighty! id like to thank all the folks that came down. mandrew, mystery strutter, the grandpa dudes [if youre listening], random hipsters, and my friends. electrode for actually bringing some oldies [awesome!], the DUDE Drez for all the rampart lovelies and assorted rolas, Drez also brought in a old dude, Benny Lopez of Thee Midniters. and of course my main, jeffie graf. dude, my peeps were like, "he dont really have a gf i never seend her!" but lo, she showed up, and sang along!

so anyways, another success. thanks again, especially Drez. we'll be waiting for when the prodigal son returns hammie!

• jonny chingas

I need some of this in my life, my hoLmeses.

Herm

• hey herm, i'll keep my eyes peeled.

in the meantime...

on a sunday afternoon... [live set drezalito, ryantrode, jeffie, shig 1.28.07]

dudes, identify your tracks cuz this is like 2 1/2 hours of breakfast in the grass.

and dont forget!

on a sunday afternoon...
    sunday, february 11, 2007
    2pm to dusk
    2692 la cienega blvd. [btw venice & washington]
    la, ca[/b]