HOT CHIP?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
So i've been reading alot of the year-end top 10 lists this week and I'm seeing alot of Hot Chip - The Warning everywhere. Is this album really that good? I've heard the singles and they're pretty cool - but is the album really all that?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

After this album I wasnt moved for more, but my boy told me not to sleep on the recent one.
    He said its more uptempo than the previous. Ill get around to it eventually.

• HMMM...yeah that came out last year huh? I'm intrigued...

Funky keyboard Caucasoid/Prince Electro-Funk Rock. Weenish.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "20 inch rims with the chrome now, blazin' out Yo La Tengo..."

No thnx

• Weenish.

yes please...

Philly's finest (and Steady B).

They're fun. Its not mind blowin but quirky "you sound white" Funk.

• hmmm... HARDLY ween-ish. more danceable. more LISTENABLE. (note: never been a WEEN fan, i left it to the doorm kids in '96). lyrics read as "ironic" tho delivery is subtle. nice sparse electronics, good production. 1st album pretty mellow 'cept for the "Down With Prince" track. "Warning" album definitely more uptempo 'cept for a couple mellower tracks. by far better than a lot of recent garbage... just sayin', dudes are doing their thing.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    I really like 'Warning' - except it starts with the worst track on the album which is a bit of a downer. 'Over & Over' was what got me into checking it out, but the other singles have grown on me a lot, 'And I Was A Boy From School' kills it...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So i've been reading alot of the year-end top 10 lists this week and I'm seeing alot of Hot Chip - The Warning everywhere. Is this album really that good? I've heard the singles and they're pretty cool - but is the album really all that?

Hot Chip are my boys, so I'm pretty happy to see them getting props everywhere. "The Warning" is great, but it's live where they really shine - five geeky white guys stood behind a row of vintage keyboards a la Kraftwerk, with one of them bashing away at an MPC, and plenty of Gene Frenkle-type cowbell action. Great fun.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    for me one of the best albums of the year AND one of the best concerts

hmmm... HARDLY ween-ish.

They both channel Prince. But i'm no Ween expert.

• I haven't checked out the entire LP yet, but I always play the Over and Over 12"

Can't get enough of it!!

And this remix they did is heat:

The Boggs "Arm In Arm - Hot Chip Remix"

When the heavy synths come in its pure