Domestic Swill....Beer Strut..

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hey, thanks Professor Braumeister, I've learned a valuable lesson today.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    smithwicks, guinness

sometimes snakebite (blackthorn + harp)

i drink at an irish pub, what can i say?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Some of my favorite Stateside breweries:

Dogfish Head (DE)
    Avery (Boulder, CO - i think)
    Great Divide (Boulder or Denver)
    Bell's (Kalamazoo, MI)
    Jolly Pumpkin (MI --- Calabaza Blanca = Best beer i had all year)
    Sierra Nevada (Chico, CA)
    Three Floyd's (I forget)
    Allagash (Maine)
    Hair of the Dog (whoa) (Ohio? I forget)
    Sly Fox (Phoenixville, PA)
    Legacy (Reading, PA - Hedonism is the only one i've had, is very good.)

In the middle:

Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY...but the Duvel folks brew their Dubbel which is my favorite)

Imports:

Unibroue (yes, that La Fin Du Monde is great)
    Samuel Smith
    Franziskaner
    Chimay (blue is my favorite and their cheese is ridiculous)
    Westmalle
    Al Chouffe (i think, they make La Chouffe and Mc Chouffe)
    Ayinger

I forget who it was that listed Blue Moon, all Magic Hat, etc. Dude, if you try some other stuff i think you may find that you like it better than these. I don't mean to offend in the least, just the opposite, if you like these you might as well be drinking real beer. Those are weak imitations of good beer.
    that was me who listed those. I like them actually, but i do like a lot of the micros that you listed up top too. Dog fish head is good, sierra is good, legacy is good. Its just a lot of the bars and places to go out around here dont have a big import or micro selection, only a few have them, and they are overpriced like a motherfucker. Thats why i stick to blue moon and magic hat. They usually have specials and promos for that shit at all the local bars so i mess with them the most. And by the way magic hat is a pretty good beer. Ive been to the brewery in vermont and drank the fresh number #9 back when they were lil dudes and it still tastes just as delicious out of the local bars down the street. Im happy they blew up and are getting big distribution.

Rouge is pretty good. I like arrogant bastard. I also like Weyerbacher's blithering idiot. And golden monkey. IT GETS YA DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Vintage beers found
    Bottle from 1869 tastes 'fresh, with plum and honey flavors'

Dec 11, 2006 - A cache of about 250 vintage bottles of beer - including some nearly 140 years old - has been uncovered at the Worthington White Shield brewery in Burton-on-Trent, one of the most famous brewing centers in the world.

The discovery includes many vintages with their corks and wax seals still in place, including a range of commemorative ales brewed to celebrate royal marriages, visits and births. The oldest found was an 1869 Harry Ratcliff's Ale - to mark the birth of a son into the Ratcliff brewing family that became part of the Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton empire in the late 19th century.

The White Shield brewery is located in the Coors Visitor Center complex, formerly known as the Bass Museum brewery.

A bottle of 1982 Prince's Ale mashed by the late Earl Spencer, Princess Diana's father, to commemorate the birth of Prince William was also among the find.

"It was always rumored that there were some vintage beers on site but uncovering such an interesting collection is fantastic," said White Shield Steve Wellington. "I believe this is one of the most exciting and unique discoveries ever made in British brewing.

"Contrary to a widely held belief that beer cannot age for as long as wine, most of these bottles seem to have developed subtlety and complexity over the years."

George Philliskirk, Chief Executive of the Beer Academy, agreed. "This discovery is remarkable, especially as the oldest beer of all dates back to 1869 and tastes so fresh, and with such attractive ripe plum and honeyed flavors. This demonstrates the potential for vintage beers to be taken seriously - maybe even being worthy of a special section in wine lists at Britain's top restaurants."

Published : Dec 11, 2006
    Search The Real Beer Library For More Articles Related To: UNITED KINGDOM

whoa.
    so they cracked open the 1869? who had the balls to take the first sip? and how do you just discover 250 beers somewhere?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Down here, we've had a little bit of a local explosion of microbreweries in the last 10 years or so:
    I'm big on these:

The ballast point IPA's and Double IPA's are perfection.

Really full bodied Red, good stout too.
    A lot of people like Ale Smith, not really my thing though.

Lately, I've been drinking a ton of Anchor Steam.

• Unibroue

Seriously though, nice picks.....I used to drink a lot of eastern PA stuff, Weyerbacher makes some out-there stuff for sure (Dogfish Head may take the cake in that dept. though).

Yeah, going to Victory's pub is a MUST......the seasonal/non-bottled stuff at any good brewery is essential. On that note, much of my favorite stuff comes from places who bottle nothing (or almost nothing)....get to Nodding Head in center city Philly. On the rural tip, try Stoudt's in Adamstown for some quality too.

I live in Oregon now, the beer scene out here is RIDICULOUS, I'm spoiled beyond belief at this point.

Who likes cask conditioned? Been more and more into that lately.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hey, thanks Professor Braumeister, I've learned a valuable lesson today.

Well, like you say, "Fuck the BS."

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Some of my favorite Stateside breweries:

Dogfish Head (DE)
    Avery (Boulder, CO - i think)
    Great Divide (Boulder or Denver)
    Bell's (Kalamazoo, MI)
    Jolly Pumpkin (MI --- Calabaza Blanca = Best beer i had all year)
    Sierra Nevada (Chico, CA)
    Three Floyd's (I forget)
    Allagash (Maine)
    Hair of the Dog (whoa) (Ohio? I forget)
    Sly Fox (Phoenixville, PA)
    Legacy (Reading, PA - Hedonism is the only one i've had, is very good.)

In the middle:

Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY...but the Duvel folks brew their Dubbel which is my favorite)

Imports:

Unibroue (yes, that La Fin Du Monde is great)
    Samuel Smith
    Franziskaner
    Chimay (blue is my favorite and their cheese is ridiculous)
    Westmalle
    Al Chouffe (i think, they make La Chouffe and Mc Chouffe)
    Ayinger

I forget who it was that listed Blue Moon, all Magic Hat, etc. Dude, if you try some other stuff i think you may find that you like it better than these. I don't mean to offend in the least, just the opposite, if you like these you might as well be drinking real beer. Those are weak imitations of good beer.
    that was me who listed those. I like them actually, but i do like a lot of the micros that you listed up top too. Dog fish head is good, sierra is good, legacy is good. Its just a lot of the bars and places to go out around here dont have a big import or micro selection, only a few have them, and they are overpriced like a motherfucker. Thats why i stick to blue moon and magic hat. They usually have specials and promos for that shit at all the local bars so i mess with them the most. And by the way magic hat is a pretty good beer. Ive been to the brewery in vermont and drank the fresh number #9 back when they were lil dudes and it still tastes just as delicious out of the local bars down the street. Im happy they blew up and are getting big distribution.

Rouge is pretty good. I like arrogant bastard. I also like Weyerbacher's blithering idiot. And golden monkey. IT GETS YA DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt. I'm sure Weyerbacher is pretty big out your way (Wilkes Barre area, right?) but it is hard sometimes to find a good, tasty beer when a lot of bars aren't catering to that crowd.

I like some of the Rogue stuff but have come across a few duds too. But that's kinda the beauty of them, many to choose from. Magic Hat had some limited release IPA out for a little while hIPA it was called. That was decent.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Unibroue

Seriously though, nice picks.....I used to drink a lot of eastern PA stuff, Weyerbacher makes some out-there stuff for sure (Dogfish Head may take the cake in that dept. though).

Yeah, going to Victory's pub is a MUST......the seasonal/non-bottled stuff at any good brewery is essential. On that note, much of my favorite stuff comes from places who bottle nothing (or almost nothing)....get to Nodding Head in center city Philly. On the rural tip, try Stoudt's in Adamstown for some quality too.

I live in Oregon now, the beer scene out here is RIDICULOUS, I'm spoiled beyond belief at this point.

Who likes cask conditioned? Been more and more into that lately.

I like a good cask conditioned beer here and there too. General Lafayette is a brew pub in this area that always has something good coming out of the floor.

Nodding Head is good and co-owned by the owner of Monks, so they are no slouch. Their double IPA is really good. Stoudt's is definitely a favorite among the local breweries, their whole roster is really good. I have been trying to get up their for a tour but haven't made it out. Their double IPA is also really good and their Fat Dog (Imperial Stout?) will be perfect if these cooler temperatures ever arrive.

Dogfish is definitely the craziest around these parts. Props to Weyerbacher for the stuff aged in Jack Daniels barrels, but Sam Caglione kills it. So many specialty brews and big beers come out of there.

That being said, i'd have to give Iron Hill low marks for the local brew pubs. They have really good food and the beer is consistent, just not remarkable.

So sorry for the triple post or whatever, if that matters.

I don't wanna get into it with you, because I really don't care BUT if you don't want to sound like a condescending prick, don't type like one. Thread title: Domestic Swill/Beer. Your commentary on my taste was unsolicited.

• Nodding Head is good and co-owned by the owner of Monks, so they are no slouch. Their double IPA is really good. Stoudt's is definitely a favorite among the local breweries, their whole roster is really good. I have been trying to get up their for a tour but haven't made it out. Their double IPA is also really good and their Fat Dog (Imperial Stout?) will be perfect if these cooler temperatures ever arrive.

The thing I miss most about PA is the abundance of great breweries. Nodding Head is great. I used to go on dates there with my fianc?? every Thursday after I had my night class at Temple's center city campus. The food and the brew were always top notch.

Richmond beer is shit.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Without risking coming off like a prick, i've got to get to where my post came from. If you hadn't said fuck the bullshit and named the beers you did i wouldn't have posted about it. I took it as you calling my beers bullshit.

I'll take your advice if you do too.

I don't care what kind of beer you like, do you have paypal? I'll buy you a High Life.

Guinness,Newcastle,Harp,or Micro Brews,

Whats your Fav brewtime joint?

Ok, hatchet buried. By "Fuck the BS" I meant nothing. I was typing at work and turning my brain off. I am the last dude to say what is and isn't good because I am super picky.
    Peace
    T.N.

• It should be obvious that if you're drinking beer for flavor you don't get it. There are only two things you need to know about beer: 1) It gives you a gut and 2) It gets you messed up.

The best beer I ever had came from the bottom of a deep, cold lake, and it wasn't bought with tons of money or enjoyed quietly or drank for the sake of being drank; it was there to be earned during the quick moment in between work and more work.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Nodding Head is good and co-owned by the owner of Monks, so they are no slouch. Their double IPA is really good. Stoudt's is definitely a favorite among the local breweries, their whole roster is really good. I have been trying to get up their for a tour but haven't made it out. Their double IPA is also really good and their Fat Dog (Imperial Stout?) will be perfect if these cooler temperatures ever arrive.

The thing I miss most about PA is the abundance of great breweries. Nodding Head is great. I used to go on dates there with my fianc?? every Thursday after I had my night class at Temple's center city campus. The food and the brew were always top notch.

Richmond beer is shit.

I think they do brunch at Nodding Head, i'd like to get out for that. My girlfriend works a few blocks away and we have nice little rotation of Nodding Head, Monk's, and Good Dog in that area, but Eulogy is always our first choice-quick ride on the blue line.

The thing that i am loving most about this area is the breweries and brew pubs. In the city, in the suburbs, there is quality beer in abundance. Where i was living up until this month i had three brew pubs in a 3 or 4 mile radius. Where i am now there is one a block away.

Then there's the beer bars...outside of the city alone there are some of the finest for miles and then between Monk's, Eulogy, and apparently the Grey Lodge, the city is full of good beers.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Ok, hatchet buried. By "Fuck the BS" I meant nothing. I was typing at work and turning my brain off. I am the last dude to say what is and isn't good because I am super picky.
    Peace
    T.N.

Word. Sometimes a guy has to play defense around here, you know how it is. No hard feelings.

• i had one of them lil bottles of chimay last nite and then i did something really stupid. i went to tommy's for chili cheese fries. now i have stomach ache

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just love to live in quebec

Unibroue and lachouffe for days (so much variety and relatively cheap)

the peeps that bring lachouffe here are

brasseur rj: they make cheval blanc which is solid
    and this

super flavourful

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

and this

super flavourful

Wow that is a great label.

Have you had the new Unibroue? I forget what it is called, just came out this year, Septemberish i think. I am looking to check it out.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

and this

super flavourful

Wow that is a great label.

Have you had the new Unibroue? I forget what it is called, just came out this year, Septemberish i think. I am looking to check it out.

not yet

i have to check out the new cheval blanc too

post exams quebec winter is made for laidback brews

ps:
    My friend works at a bar/cafe that are hooked up with unibroue and she gets staff price

24 pack of any kind (fin du monde please) 14$
    3.50cnd a six pack

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Great hookup. Unibroue is pricey my way way. That Cheval looks nice too.

I haven't quite made it to winter brew mode. I am transitioning with some stuff that is heavier in the malt department before it is time for the real deal, heavy stuff. If it ever gets cold here again i will be seeking Taddy Porter by Sammy Smith, my favorite dark beer. Dogfish Head India Brown is another big favorite for me in the cold, i can't wait to stock up for winter.

• i can't wait to stock up for winter.

This has been killing me because I made the switch to darker stuff a month ago when we had a cold spell. Now I don't want to go back to the lighter stuff but it is like 60 outside. WTF? I am ready for the cold. Bring it on. Although I guess its nice postponing the heating bills for a while. I just hope we don???t get snow in fucking May.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    By all rights you should be stocked and good to go, this weather is completely crazy right now. It was cold like 3 times so far.

Agreed, if winter cuts spring short i am making a stand.

• COME ON ALREADY.....!!!!!! WHERES MY :5pager:

BEER BEER BEER BEER!!!!!!!!!!!RECORDS!!!!!!! BEER BEER BEER BEER!!!!!!!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    i am all for this...

red rice ale, something like 7% alcohol and real smooth, a bitch to find though.

and for the NYC heads, anybody ever go to that noodle spot in the east village called SOBAYA? they got the buckwheat beer there that is truly good. apparently the company brews/bottles strictly for them. check it out if you are ever in the neighborhood and oh yeah they got good soba noodles too.

If you're into buckwheat beer you absolutely need to holler at Rogue's Morimoto Soba (buckwheat) Ale.

• I heartily recommend this winter brew:

Any of you PA people shop at Shangy's near Allentown? Probably the biggest beer selection in the country, but what a pain to have to buy by the case though.....damn antiquated PA beer laws.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I love Shangy's, always worth the drive and always a stop at Yocco's Hot Dogs on the way home.

My new place is 1.1 mile from The Beer Yard which is much smaller than Shangy's but has an awesome selection. I love the layout of Shangy's, i can spend a few hours and a few bucks in that joint.

My buddies and i usually cure the cases only situation by grabbing a few things each and then just splitting everything up.

• I love Shangy's, always worth the drive and always a stop at Yocco's Hot Dogs on the way home.

My new place is 1.1 mile from The Beer Yard which is much smaller than Shangy's but has an awesome selection. I love the layout of Shangy's, i can spend a few hours and a few bucks in that joint.

My buddies and i usually cure the cases only situation by grabbing a few things each and then just splitting everything up.

Yes, I always enjoyed Shangy's when I lived near there (was just 20 minutes away), but I didn't have anyone nearby to split cases with. That is the way to go, though. Don't know the Beer Yard, sounds good though.
    Wonder if Yards will ever open up a pub/tasting room at their brewery? That would be nice.
    All you non-PA people should appreciate the freedom you have to buy beer in any quantity you want!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some old college friends of mine are behind this one...

This one's really good...

And while we're at it, bring back...