Domestic Swill....Beer Strut..

OldschoolspinnaOldschoolspinna 311 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Ah shit, I just took a swig of a laft over wedding beer...Its cold and not old or anything, but its a Budweiser....I just cant drink Domestic shit beer anymore.10 years of imports has me spoiled.Guinness,Newcastle,Harp,or Micro Brews, Whats your Fav brewtime joint?

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Bud is my domestic of choice. A lot of my friends are strictly Miller Lite or Bud Lites cats, and if they're buying a round I don't want to get too fancy business, so I go with the plain ole Budweiser. I don't mind PBR, but I do mind all that hipster aura bullshit surrounding drinking beer in a can in a bar. I want PBR back for the blue collar people!

If I'm buying, I'll probably spring for some Pilsner or Stella. But I'll really go for any fine microbrew. Speaking of, now that it's getting chilly out here, I could go for some of that Sam Smith hearty brew (oatmeal, anyone?). Or always anytime day or night: Guinness Extra Stout.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I could drink Sierra Nevadas allllllll night. I've heard this is good, but havent had any yet: http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man i love sierra nevada too but once i get started drinking that i really can't switch it up for the night. newcastle is probably my all-time favorite though im trying not to drink beer anymore

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    one of my favourite Czech Pilsener beers

and regarding Budweiser. Obviously, any product from Annheuser-Bush is , but the OG Budweiser/Budvar from Czech is that real shitt

• ive been known to drink a domestic brand called FREE BEER. other than that i stick to them frilly beers. and whiskey.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ive been known to drink a domestic brand called FREE BEER. other than that i stick to them frilly beers. and whiskey.

word...

when i'm ballin on a budget, it's ballentine, pbr, miller, or genny cream ale...

or the cheap ass 99 cent polish and czech beers...

and yuengling, if you count that as cheap...

lately i've been drinking Guinness, Chimay, and Hoegarden as my decent beers... nothing too fancy...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Newcastle

I just drank my last 2 though.

• finally got my hands on some Yuengling when I was in P-burgh last weekend.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    beer makes me piss.
    im down w/ stoli & tonic with a lime

• i am all for this...

red rice ale, something like 7% alcohol and real smooth, a bitch to find though.

and for the NYC heads, anybody ever go to that noodle spot in the east village called SOBAYA? they got the buckwheat beer there that is truly good. apparently the company brews/bottles strictly for them. check it out if you are ever in the neighborhood and oh yeah they got good soba noodles too.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    blue moon. all the magic hats. victory lager. lots of micros and imports.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm drinking Bud Light tonight finishing this remix but I'm done after these 2.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    but I'm done after these 2.

Yeah right... heard (and said) that one before. 10 beers later

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Standard Lager son!

• autezautez 404 Posts

• Yeah right. Nobody drinks that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yeah right. Nobody drinks that...anymore

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i stick to them frilly beers. and whiskey.

• finally got my hands on some Yuengling when I was in P-burgh last weekend.

$1 Yuengling drafts at bars all over the place are one of the great things about this city.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Some of my favorite Stateside breweries:

Dogfish Head (DE)
    Avery (Boulder, CO - i think)
    Great Divide (Boulder or Denver)
    Bell's (Kalamazoo, MI)
    Jolly Pumpkin (MI --- Calabaza Blanca = Best beer i had all year)
    Sierra Nevada (Chico, CA)
    Three Floyd's (I forget)
    Allagash (Maine)
    Hair of the Dog (whoa) (Ohio? I forget)
    Sly Fox (Phoenixville, PA)
    Legacy (Reading, PA - Hedonism is the only one i've had, is very good.)

In the middle:

Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY...but the Duvel folks brew their Dubbel which is my favorite)

Imports:

Unibroue (yes, that La Fin Du Monde is great)
    Samuel Smith
    Franziskaner
    Chimay (blue is my favorite and their cheese is ridiculous)
    Westmalle
    Al Chouffe (i think, they make La Chouffe and Mc Chouffe)
    Ayinger

I forget who it was that listed Blue Moon, all Magic Hat, etc. Dude, if you try some other stuff i think you may find that you like it better than these. I don't mean to offend in the least, just the opposite, if you like these you might as well be drinking real beer. Those are weak imitations of good beer.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Ah shit, I just took a swig of a laft over wedding beer...Its cold and not old or anything, but its a Budweiser....I just cant drink Domestic shit beer anymore.

10 years of imports has me spoiled.

Guinness,Newcastle,Harp,or Micro Brews

Whats your Fav brewtime joint?

I am a bit confused by this...Guinness, Newcastle, Harp or.....micro brews.

Micros are mainly a domestic thing, just clarifying.

Spinna, have you ever had the Samuel Smith Nut Brown? I used to be a Newcastle fan and then i drank a Sammy Smith right after a Newcastle, the difference is astounding. It might run you a buck or two more per bottle at the bar, but its well worth it in my opinion.

• Dr Joel I was hoping you would come through. Some people in this thread have really suspect beer selection.

I forget who it was that listed Blue Moon, all Magic Hat, etc. Dude, if you try some other stuff i think you may find that you like it better than these. I don't mean to offend in the least, just the opposite, if you like these you might as well be drinking real beer. Those are weak imitations of good beer.

This is so true. Blue Moon is made by fucking Coors. Support small brewers that make far better beers. Yuengling gives me the nastiest fucking beer shits. I drank it for a long time but I will not fuck with it anymore. At a certain point my body was just like, "you will not drink any more Yuengling".

Some of my favorites of late.

My fiance picked this up for me. Its a Scotich Ale brewed in Belgium.

All of the Chouffe beers are great. The Brown Ale is perfect this time of year. They have a Christmas Ale I can't wait to try.

As far as American brews DrJoel named some good ones. I would add Victory to that list. Their beer is incredible. If you are in the Downingtown PA area go to the Brewery and try their harvest ale. You can only buy it in house. They brew it with hops 90 mins after the hops have been picked. It is the freshest beer I have ever had.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Likewise C Larry, I was expecting you to already have been here when i showed up. I found a Chouffe double pack with the the glass for like $22 or something. Full size bottle of La Chouffe, full size Mc Chouffe and the glass. Ridiculous.

Scotch de Silly, is a good one. I haven't had it in a while, maybe i need to relive.

Co-sign Victory and definitely co-sign Harvest Ales. I had Sierra Nevadas last year and it was ridiculously good.

Check out the Jolly Pumpkin if you haven't already. Bam Bier and Calabaza Blanca are great.

To add another great PA brewery to the mix Troegs out of Harrisburg has a great lineup. Weyerbacher too for that matter, they are the mad scientists of the brewing world.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Miller Hi Life and Michelob. Fuck the BS. Yuengling too.
    Sam Adams is bitter trash.
    The worst domestic beer is Red Dog.

• To add another great PA brewery to the mix Troegs out of Harrisburg has a great lineup. Weyerbacher too for that matter, they are the mad scientists of the brewing world.

Troegs is really good. They also have a really nice Christmas Brew.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Sayin'.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Sayin'.

Hm? I'm not following your witty pictorial commentary.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Sayin'.

Hm? I'm not following your witty pictorial commentary.

Following up on your 'Fuck the BS' comment, which i am assuming refers to some of the beers listed above. I was trying to make a connection between High Life and MGD which i see as the equivalent to that music that the public is told to like and consume. Not that you shouldn't like those beers, i'm sure you find them really refereshing after a long day. I'm just saying digging beneath the surface sometimes reveals more rewarding results. A novel idea in this particular social climate, i know.

• Vintage beers found
    Bottle from 1869 tastes 'fresh, with plum and honey flavors'

Dec 11, 2006 - A cache of about 250 vintage bottles of beer - including some nearly 140 years old - has been uncovered at the Worthington White Shield brewery in Burton-on-Trent, one of the most famous brewing centers in the world.

The discovery includes many vintages with their corks and wax seals still in place, including a range of commemorative ales brewed to celebrate royal marriages, visits and births. The oldest found was an 1869 Harry Ratcliff's Ale - to mark the birth of a son into the Ratcliff brewing family that became part of the Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton empire in the late 19th century.

The White Shield brewery is located in the Coors Visitor Center complex, formerly known as the Bass Museum brewery.

A bottle of 1982 Prince's Ale mashed by the late Earl Spencer, Princess Diana's father, to commemorate the birth of Prince William was also among the find.

"It was always rumored that there were some vintage beers on site but uncovering such an interesting collection is fantastic," said White Shield Steve Wellington. "I believe this is one of the most exciting and unique discoveries ever made in British brewing.

"Contrary to a widely held belief that beer cannot age for as long as wine, most of these bottles seem to have developed subtlety and complexity over the years."

George Philliskirk, Chief Executive of the Beer Academy, agreed. "This discovery is remarkable, especially as the oldest beer of all dates back to 1869 and tastes so fresh, and with such attractive ripe plum and honeyed flavors. This demonstrates the potential for vintage beers to be taken seriously - maybe even being worthy of a special section in wine lists at Britain's top restaurants."

Published : Dec 11, 2006
    Search The Real Beer Library For More Articles Related To: UNITED KINGDOM