DONKS

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I had never heard of it until somebody posted one in my lowrider thread. Then I saw a Donks magazine at the store and flipped through. And as corny as that shit is.....I kinda like it!But, don't they tip over if you turn too fast? Is it legal to have your car that high? I guess trucks do it, so why not cars.I've never seen a donk in real life. It must be a purely southern thing because I don't think anybody would be caught dead in one out here. It seemed like a lot of them had 'food' themes. Is that part of it?Post some pics of outrageous donks. I need to see more.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

JESUS CHRIST!

The all seem to have those batmobile doors.

Hmmmm!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    not quite that extreme but i've seen a few around chicago.
    a guy i went to h.s. with has one.

This is pretty dope. I would totally cruise in this thing:

• This is pretty dope. I would totally cruise in this thing:

Yeah that's not a donk though, it's only sittin' on 20s. Donks sit on 24s or bigger and have crazy lifts on them. I would say they are almost exclusively southern, anybody rocking one outside the south is pretty much a fan.

I think donk's are great. Chevies ridin' high. That's some original, flashy, flamboastin' shit right thurr.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Sooo..basically a monster scraper? I bet you'd get laughed at if you drove that through Oakland...

• Anyone have a video of someone ghostriding a donk, because that shit could be scary/funny as hell?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Dizz- you seem like more of a 510 guy:

and by Datsun 510, I actually mean this:

• Sooo..basically a monster scraper? I bet you'd get laughed at if you drove that through Oakland...

Yeah, cuz cats in oakland are so reserved and normal...................

No sir! A gigantic Cadillac man. I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE.

• these are awesome... there are a bunch of them in north carolina, but a lot of them have like corporate logos on them (?)... i have seen an orange crush one, a sprite one, a fruit roll ups one, and a life savers one that looked like a roll of life savers... the fruit roll ups was the best because i'm not sure if those actually even exist anymore, and they were the shit when i was a kid... the second most popular choice is the primer gray "i'm about to paint it" look... i don't actually know anybody that has one, and it's not like you see them everyday, but there a quite a few around here... i get really psyched every time i see one that is painted and official... i think if i had one i would make it a grape bonkers one

• Dizz- you seem like more of a 510 guy:

Back in my muscle car days I wanted one.

• these are awesome... there are a bunch of them in north carolina, but a lot of them have like corporate logos on them (?)... i have seen an orange crush one, a sprite one, a fruit roll ups one, and a life savers one that looked like a roll of life savers... the fruit roll ups was the best because i'm not sure if those actually even exist anymore, and they were the shit when i was a kid... the second most popular choice is the primer gray "i'm about to paint it" look... i don't actually know anybody that has one, and it's not like you see them everyday, but there a quite a few around here... i get really psyched every time i see one that is painted and official... i think if i had one i would make it a grape bonkers one

Damn this guy said grape bonkers. Takin' it back! Now that's some shit I haven't seen in 10+ years.

Anyway, yeah NC seems to have a lot of the logo ones. There's the McDonald's one that was posted on here before and I saw a different McDonalds one in NC as well as a Dr. Pepper one. That's some next level shit, I don't think they are getting any perks from the companies they are advertising for. I believe it's all by choice.

I think I'd have to push a high C fruit punch jawn, or maybe even hawaiian punch. Where's the Laffy Taffy Caprice Donks at though?

• I don't think they are getting any perks from the companies they are advertising for

i always wondered about that, if the companies had something to do with it... like trying to appeal to the "urban" market... i could see mcdonald's or one of the soda companies doing that, but i'm pretty sure the folks at fruit roll ups aren't using their marketing budget to flood the streets on NC with donks

• man I dunno about these. this shit looks sorta ridiculous to me.

• this shit looks sorta ridiculous to me.

yeah that's pretty much the idea.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

man I dunno about these. this shit looks absolutely stupid to me.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

man I dunno about these. this shit looks sorta ridonkulous to me.

• you guys found that one rediculous but didn't have a comment on this one? that's mind blowing.

• ^^^^^
    It looks like a mutant insect or something. I'm not really feeling the donks, it makes me think the dudes are trying to make up for something...

All I want is a nice luxury car, because all I seem to do is sit in traffic.

• ^^^^^
    It looks like a mutant insect or something. I'm not really feeling the donks, it makes me think the dudes are trying to make up for something...

All I want is a nice luxury car, because all I seem to do is sit in traffic.

ehhh that whole "making up for a small dick" shit is pretty 1986 man. these ain't ford f350 super duties in a cul de sac neighborhood. i don't really know what it's about or what it really signifies but i don't think it's that...

That said, I too would love a nice luxery car. A new BMW 6 series would be my top choice right now. Black, hard top. Ballin'!

^^^^^
    I'm not really feeling the donks, it makes me think the dudes are trying to make up for something...

I don't think its anything like that man... It just looks like some shit people are doing for fun. And yeah, its kinda ridiculous, but like that other dude said, I think thats the point.

I mean, obviously I have no idea because I don't anything about the south. Car hopping is stupid too, really, but its popular because people have fun doing it!

I dunno... for some reason I think its kinda cool. These donks, I mean. And I think it would fun as shit to drive one.

• Hahaha, it ain't neccesarily a dick thing. I just think they're very aggresive cars, like full Mad Max road rage machines. I guess they're a novelty thing, not an everyday car.

I dunno, on one hand it's great to do something original, on the other they're just so over the top. Seriously though, I don't really get the whole car thing... I'm about to buy a hybrid and I still ride a skateboard.

As a matter of interest, do they mess with the engines, or just the wheels/suspension?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RiDONKulous

• A new BMW 6 series would be my top choice right now. Black, hard top. Ballin'!

yes. or the OG 6 series. or the new M5. beemer always been killing it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Donks is most def. a Southern thing. If you haven't been in the South, then you really wouldn't understand the science. I was talking to the dude that I work with this morning about some cars. He told me one of his hommies put 30"+ on his Crown Vic. Shit is so high, he gotta literally jump into whip. The wheel wells had to get altered just to fit them on the car.

A lot of these boys be doing it big around here. Chevy Caprices with the Wal-Mart paint job and shit...

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i definitley got an appriciation for donks, especially in FLA.

there REAL big here in miami, and when i was back and forth in tallahassee, theyd definitley pop up, especially at FAMU homecoming, it became a donk showcase on the strip.

the most rediculous thing ive scene was one day last summer in miami, dude i was driving behind had a clear (glass/plexiglass/plastic?) trunk on his donk. Anyways, the clear trunk held a big screen plasma so the driver behind could see (which happened to be me). Pretty damn rediculous.

But people throw lifts and big rims on the wrong cars, like today i scene a mid-90s mercury coupe turned donk. this is when donks go wrong

• when donks go wrong

f'real. like a 93 gran pricks on wheels that are worth 4 times as much as the car. a corsica on 24"s? c'mon now, thats redonkulis!

talk to me bout a like 72 chevelle, a caddy (dizzy), 69 impala on 30"s. kinda grows on ya.

when i lived on the gulf, like 15 years ago, there was a hillbilly with a early 70s (72-73?) camaro body on an amc scout 4x4 chassis with a lift kit and 48" monster mudder tires. always gleamin with some mississippi mud. I never thought it would cath on.