MORE BEEF!

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I love Beef, so what's your favorite cut??? SOOOOOOOOOOO GGGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD!!!House of Prime Rib and Lowery's here I come!!!!

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Chateaubriand

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yum.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Thank you god for including cows in your designs - beef is indeed manna from heaven.

It's still near impossible to get a joint of beef on the bone in supermarkets in the UK. Always worth the hassle of going to a butchers though as the difference in taste is lipsmackingly awesome.

I remember going into some hoity toity restaurant a while ago and ordering the beef. Came out a good while later as a joint no bigger than my fist with no trimmings. Needless to say I wasn't impressed at the sight of it but I do believe that it's one of the most amazing flavours I've ever experienced.

Apart from the pleasure of a sunday roast you can't beat a t-bone steak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sabadaba Sirloin

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I cooked a 13 lb. brisket on Sunday for the Saints-Cowboys game, yum...especially the roast beef po-boys my wife made Monday night with the leftovers. Last night she spun it into beef pot pie...also darned good.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    People always think I'm a damn weirdo because I don't eat beef. I find the smell and taste to be awful. I don't want it even cooked in my house. I spit my irrelevant 2c.
    Go back to beef loving.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    People always think I'm a damn weirdo because I don't eat beef. I find the smell and taste to be awful. I don't want it even cooked in my house. I spit my irrelevant 2c.
    Go back to beef loving.

damn wierdo

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

why is top sirloin UNDERNEATH sirloin? shouldn't it be, you know, above it?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Not necessarily in order:

Brisket
    Shank (with the bone)
    Ribeye (properly aged, 21-25 days, and cut thick, please)
    Flank (marinated)
    Cheek
    Short Ribs

• in no particulare order for steaks:

rib eye

porterhouse

new york strip

filet mignon

and then of course the brisket is unstoppable for BBQ purposes.

• I hope we can all agree that there is nothing worse than overcooked beef. Shit is just plain horrible.

I like the "T-Bone Steak, cheese, eggs, and Welch???s grape".

For me a nice porterhouse is perfect with some fried potatoes, grilled asparagus and a good beer.

From the store I usually buy NY strip steaks though. I still need to find a good butcher here in Richmond. When I lived in Rome I could get the best cuts of meat you ever had at the butcher shop around the corner.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I cooked a 13 lb. brisket on Sunday for the Saints-Cowboys game, yum...especially the roast beef po-boys my wife made Monday night with the leftovers. Last night she spun it into beef pot pie...also darned good.

oh hell yes.

its all about cooking the cheaper cuts for longer, but having said that, im a lamb man through and through, i just lov ea roast leg of lamb with mint sauce and all the trimmings...

• I hope we can all agree that there is nothing worse than overcooked beef. Shit is just plain horrible.

I cringe when I'm with somebody who orders a steak anything more than "Medium". "Well done" is seriously especially if you're paying more than $10 for your steak...

That said, I just had the most amazing medium rare $40 cajun ribeye this past weekend. It put almost every other steak I've eaten to shame.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I hope we can all agree that there is nothing worse than overcooked beef. Shit is just plain horrible.

I cringe when I'm with somebody who orders a steak anything more than "Medium". "Well done" is seriously especially if you're paying more than $10 for your steak...

That said, I just had the most amazing medium rare $40 cajun ribeye this past weekend. It put almost every other steak I've eaten to shame.

rare. really rare, blue even. shit, just sear it on each side for a coupleof seconds. and give me some bread to mop up the blood.

toothpick?

rare. really rare, blue even. shit, just sear it on each side for a coupleof seconds. and give me some bread to mop up the blood.

toothpick?

now that's a bit extreme, but my pops did eat a rare 3 inch thick filet the same night.

• seriously, ya'll are making me hungry...it's lunch time and i'm about to go out a bag me a cow!

• House of Prime Rib and Lowery's here I come!!!!

house of prime rib has fell off recently. I was there this past MAY and it just wasn't doing it for me like it has before. Try Alexanders in Cupertino down here in the south bay. real pricey and the wait staff seems to try to hard but they got some great cuts of beef.

Peter lugars has to be the steakhouse i've ever been to though. My sister and i trekked from red hook to williamsburg during the 28inches of snow weekend in february to eat. thats all heart yo!

but seriously, a good steak is pretty easy to grill up yourself. they got good cuts at good prices at places like Costco. salt & pepper and grill medium rare and you are set to go. the sides are a different story though.

bon appeitit.

• House of Prime Rib and Lowery's here I come!!!!

but seriously, a good steak is pretty easy to grill up yourself. they got good cuts at good prices at places like Costco. salt & pepper and grill medium rare and you are set to go.

Unless you don't have a grill. It's hard to get a steak right with your oven's broiler, but you can do it.

I recently acquired a george foreman, hopefully that will work better than the broiler.

Also, I'm a salt and pepper dude myself, but my brother recently turned me on to that montreal steak seasoning. Pretty good stuff.

It's really all about the marbling of the fat in the meat for good moisture/flavor distribution.

• My old roomate and I used to split food costs. I would cook and he would do dishes. One time I cooked up some really nice strip steaks. We sit down to eat and before I knew it he was pouring katchup all over his steak. I should have just given him ground chuck. Shit was foul.

• Also, I'm a salt and pepper dude myself, but my brother recently turned me on to that montreal steak seasoning. Pretty good stuff.

It's really all about the marbling of the fat in the meat for good moisture/flavor distribution.

yes that montreal steak seasoning is some good stuff. im a true beleiver that one should never use a-1 and god forbid ketchup on a steak. as long as the steak is seasoned properly the juices should be enough.

damn i am hungry as fuck now.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Unless you don't have a grill. It's hard to get a steak right with your oven's broiler, but you can do it.

Yeah, it's kind of a trail-and-error process, figuring out how your particular oven cooks and working with it. I generally cook short of the recommended time, check on the progress, and repeat as necessary until it's cooked to the point I want it to be. Kind of a pain when you're trying to coordinate several dishes to be done at the same time, but it's better to get the cooking right than the timing.

I can't fuck with raw-ass steak though. I just can't. Shit is nasty.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

It??s easy to prepare great steaks if you use a proper pan, i.e.

"turk" frying/grilling pans - for prof.
    open-die hot forged out of one piece
    flat hooked handle

or

skkephult frying pan
    cast iron

• It??s easy to prepare great steaks if you use a proper pan

Yeah I was about to go get me a grill pan but I got this foreman so I think I'll try that and see how well it cooks these NY strips I got chillin'...

And yes, A-1 and ketchup is such a bad look on a decent steak. Maybe if it's "salisbury" steak, haha. If you gotta have that shit on yoru steak, then you should probably just not eat steak. Grab a burger.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    when I was 18 I decided to stop eating red meat, 8 years later I still fiend for that stuff like a recovering crack addict fiends for one last hit.

This thread isn't helping much

I slipped off the wagon a few months back in Mexico when I couldn't find any vegetarian or chicken substitutes...and I'm starting to shake while typing this.

I NEED A HIT

• DO IT

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Go back to beef loving.

Word. I'll eat a burger, maybe some other stuff if it's on the table, but everyone knows that chicken, fish, and carnitas is where it's at.