DJs, What should I charge for NYE?

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Got offered something big here in Manhattan. No equipment to bring besides microwave. Seeing as this is a night I'd normally like to spend with friends and my girl, what should I be charging? It's 5 hours of work. Part of me wants to ask for a G, but I don't want to offend anyone.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    You think a G is asking to much? I have no idea the going rate now. But being NYE and in Money Makin' Manhattan I don't think thats alot to ask for. How big is the event and how much are they charging for tickets? NYE is the biggest night for DJ's around the world. It's the one night dudes should be gettin' paid crazy dollars.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If you want to make a name for yourself in the big apple, you must charge a lot of money.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Bare minimium base price is $2,000.00

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Got offered something big here in Manhattan. No equipment to bring besides microwave. Seeing as this is a night I'd normally like to spend with friends and my girl, what should I be charging? It's 5 hours of work. Part of me wants to ask for a G, but I don't want to offend anyone.

Ask a G, but let them know you will consider their best offer.

NYE is a special event....I mean, you wouldn't pay a $100 cover charge for a weeknight at a club, but the same club will do this for NYE and that's the cheap places!

Hell, ask $1200 and fall back to a G, let 'em know you are cutting them a deal. Confidence, baby!

• Got offered something big here in Manhattan.

big...like lots of people? or expensive venue with people throwing down lots of money? or both?

if its the latter, than i would say a G is too low. if by big you mean there are gonna be 500 heads there, but there is no cover charge and everyone is drinking PBR and shots of whiskey, than a G is probably too much. doesn't hurt to ask though.

• A friend who is by no means a pro DJ (hell, he is just a guy who likes music) spins CDs at a trendy NYC spot on NYE and gets a G. If he can, you most certainly deserve it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I stand corrected.

Ask $2200!!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

considering i don't have to bring the mobile shit, I aint really there yet. It's definitely a place where people spend money, and I guarantee I'll see about $200 in tips.

Did shorty send you the shit pictures, cosmo?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah I gotta holler at her though.

Get that money, Tom!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    seems like any bar/club throwing a 'party' on NYE in the city is charging at least $50.

my suggestion, find out how much the spot is charging at the door. Damn near any club will be packed, so if they are charging more than $50 you should feel no guilt in asking for around a $1K that night.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

considering i don't have to bring the mobile shit, I aint really there yet. It's definitely a place where people spend money, and I guarantee I'll see about $200 in tips.

Given the scope of your mixes Delay I would say you are WAY underestimating yourself. You know how to rock a party. As for the I've never done a big gig syndrome, act like you know and get paid. There are plenty of less qualified trollops in NYC charging as much if not more than you would. Listen to C*sm*. You have the skill, you've spent THOUSANDS of dollars and THOUSANDS of hours collecting music--DO IT DO IT!

• Sheck your PMs, Mr. Chiner.

• minumum...a g

• first ask them what they are willing to offer.
    YOu may be able to get more then you think

• first ask them what they are willing to offer.
    YOu may be able to get more then you think

get info first about whats going down. ask what theyre offering.
    say you need 1500 to top another offer that someone threw at you for the night that you havent responded to yet. (teel them that one comes with a hooker and hotel room to boot)

• Bare minimium base price is $2,000.00

how long will your set be ?
    set it high so when they try to freak...you come down in the middle.
    then again nye in nyc, my people who do all the downtown shit....they spin for a loooooong time compared to my hours. sometimes im glad the sidewalks roll up at 2 am.

also cosmo, dont you gig a bit more than delay ? no dis !

• Bare minimium base price is $2,000.00

listen to this man.

i would ask for 2500-2800 + a generous bar tab/dinner for you AND YOUR LADY
    and make sure they got a bottle of bubbly for you two as well. and no crystalino
    i'm talking veuve or better.

settle for 2 g's

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

listen to this man.

i would ask for 2500-2800 + a generous bar tab/dinner for you AND YOUR LADY
    and make sure they got a bottle of bubbly for you two as well. and no crystalino
    i'm talking veuve or better.

settle for 2 g's

and watch them decide to have the manager's boyfriend plug in his ipod for 500 bucks...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    and watch them decide to have the manager's boyfriend plug in his ipod for 500 bucks...
    then he just gets to relax w/friends on NYE...
    i co-sign everyone else's thoughts...make it worth yer while and the "competing gig" bluff sounds like a good move

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ok... i bartered a bit

$800 + Hotel Suite + Reserved Table w/ bottle service for friends.

I'm happy w/ that.

• ok... i bartered a bit

I'm happy w/ that.

• and watch them decide to have the manager's boyfriend plug in his ipod for 500 bucks...
    then he just gets to relax w/friends on NYE...

i co-sign everyone else's thoughts...make it worth yer while and the "competing gig" bluff sounds like a good move

that's my point. if you're going to give up NYE with your girl and crew it better be worth your while.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's cool, Tom. Thing is, with that setup you'll probably end up having a blast with you lady and your peeps... sounds like a good time for real. Hotel suites are ::SO NECESSARY::

also cosmo, dont you gig a bit more than delay ? no dis !

Yeah, but I would have asked for $5000.00 - no dis, but yeah.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Yeah, but I would have asked for $5000.00 - no dis, but yeah.

This graemlin was made for this statement.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

That's what I'm saying. My rule for NYE is get triple your normal rate. I'm doing a zune party this weekend and I'm getting paid well and of course I get a zune player too. Doing the Crown Plaza hotel x-mas party next weekend. Getting a great payment and a top of the line suite to use any day I want. Don't be afraid to ask, all they can say is no. I usually start high and end up getting what I wanted in the end.

• end up getting what I wanted in the end.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Herm

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    ok... i bartered a bit

I'm happy w/ that.

That's decent hommie, have a rockin NYE.. Ill be in Calgary, in the cold.