The Single BEST ALBUM of the year 2006

124»

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Juvenile's wasn't that bad.

Haven't heard Z-Ro but I'm guessing thats like this too.

You know, I have some love for the Juvenile album but do think it suffers from not living up to the excitement built from Get Ya Hustle On.

The Z-Ro album would make a superb remix album - I could listen to him rap all day but the production left me extremely cold.

I was pleased to see this actually released but didn't find it particularly memorable beyond a couple of songs (kinda the story of the year for most rap albums)

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    maybe if people released albums with more then 2 good songs it would be easier to have a full top 10. that there's only two/three albums in the running is a bit depressing.

• * Feeling You featuring Stevie Wonder was my anthem for '06

• so many more people need to hear this.

also think this is a contender

both these should be on heavy rotation...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Well yeah I don't think this one is as good as No Limit Topp Dogg

I agree--

This album is dope, its like all 70s funk and soul and then "Down for my N****" which was an anthem roudn these parts (that i didnt really participate in for obv reasons but nonetheless)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I agree--

This album is dope, its like all 70s funk and soul and then "Down for my N****" which was an anthem roudn these parts (that i didnt really participate in for obv reasons but nonetheless)

Yeah, but I think that song actually came out on C-Murder's album about two years before, and then they just tacked Snoop onto it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    That sounds right, I knew it was a CMurder song first but my memory of that time is distorted by me being like 15 when it dropped

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I agree--

No Limit Top Dogg had some shit on it. I used to bump the song with Suga Free a lot when it came out. Wasn't the song with Xzibit on there too?

lol !! My Bad people ....i always get Top Dogg confused with Da Game is to be sold ......so yeah.."Top Dogg" is the shit , "Da Game...." is the one that sucks ass ........ i'm getting old

• ^^^ UP IN MY TOP 5

Beatles - Love is one of my favorite releases this year

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    whoever posted it, that Burial record is dope...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Am I the only person who found the Spanky Wilson album really disappointing and less exciting than what it promised to be given the collaboration?

Maybe I just had too high expectations but it really didn't come together as well as the Nicole Willis or the last Sharon Jones CD.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Am I the only person who found the Spanky Wilson album really disappointing and less exciting than what it promised to be given the collaboration?

Maybe I just had too high expectations but it really didn't come together as well as the Nicole Willis or the last Sharon Jones CD.

I had no idea about it, which is strange given that i am usually up on what new stuff is coming out. So i had absolutely no expectations. I personally think the album is stunning and right up there with Sharon and Nicole. I like all three equally with each one having something special. For me "message to tomorrow" and "thats how it was" are pure gold. unfuckingfadable. those tunes in particular are masterpieces. Overall I just think it works great as a whole album, great singing, great arrangements, great instrumentation, great pathos...the only song i am not that keen on is "can't judge a book" but other than that pure class in my book and able to take on any new shit in any genre as far as i'm concerned.

I heard the live show is through the roof. She does her old funk stuff as well.

taste is so bizarre sometimes... totally thought you would be diggin it Oliver.
    And while i liked it from the get go its definitely also been a grower for me as well.

• KING hands down. I knew it was album of the year by my second listen. This is coming from someone who dispised T.I. I couldn't deny the truthness of this record.

• * Feeling You featuring Stevie Wonder was my anthem for '06

Stylin' gets a lot of Microwave Playlist Crate love as well.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    King was OK. Somehow I find that T.I. sounds uninspired and borderline boring on most of the songs. He's not bad, it's just that there's very little about his delivery that catches my attention.

I'm counting on The Clipse. Haven't heard the full album yet, but the sampler was

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

taste is so bizarre sometimes... totally thought you would be diggin it Oliver.

It's not the concept that's lacking for me - it's the execution and I feel bad in saying this but I did not find Spanky to be a great vocalist. It may be a product of age - she doesn't pack the same "ooomph" that she had when she was younger and that meant that she couldn't carry the funkier tracks. I thought she was much better on the bluesier songs.

It may also be that the Nicole Willis is such an amazing album that anything even vaguely similar gets judged against that and most are bound to come up short.

• Beatles - Love is one of my favorite releases this year

I just picked this up...I was really expecting more...I hate to say this but they should've included DangerMouse on this project. It was a little safe.

• Beatles - Love is one of my favorite releases this year

I just picked this up...I was really expecting more...I hate to say this but they should've included DangerMouse on this project. It was a little safe.

yeah it is a little safe at times , i gess this guy didnt want to overdue do it ? so at times he underdid alot of it

but tracks like:
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! / I Want You (She's So Heavy) / Helter Skelter
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows
    Octopus's Garden
    Here Comes the Sun / the Inner Light

all have something new and unique to offer IMO
    i enjoyed it thoroughly, more so than alot of albums from this year

i c where u r coming from tho... he

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

yeah it is a little safe at times , i gess this guy didnt want to overdue do it ? so at times he underdid alot of it

"this guy" = george martin

Jeezus, you SoulStrut dudes...

• [
    but tracks like:
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! / I Want You (She's So Heavy) / Helter Skelter
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows /
    Octopus's Garden
    Here Comes the Sun / the Inner Light

hmmm- let me give this another try. Cuz the beatles are always

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    King was OK. Somehow I find that T.I. sounds uninspired and borderline boring on most of the songs. He's not bad, it's just that there's very little about his delivery that catches my attention.

I'm counting on The Clipse. Haven't heard the full album yet, but the sampler was
    major wtf

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Does Trap Door count?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

major wtf

I've enjoyed Trap Muzik and parts of Urban Legend a lot. But on King I wasn't feeling him that much, although there are several very good songs on there.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

* Feeling You featuring Stevie Wonder was my anthem for '06

YES.

• Hadn't heard about this album until I saw you post it in this thread. I just bought it the other day and I've really been enjoying it. Kind of reminds me of This Heat at times.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts