• I want to ask you guys about DONUTS.

I understand the respect, the mission, the hype. But I'm surprised
    that it would make anybody's #1. When I hear it, I hear a fun romp
    through a sample garden. I also hear an unfocused, button-pushy
    mish-mash that I believe many Soulstrutters could match in two nights'
    work. Tell me why I'm wrong. Tell me what you hear in the actual
    music
    recorded on the disc. (It sounds like somebody playing
    with a sampler - this is what we all do, all the time.)

Or, on the other hand, just say that you're paying your respects through
    this particular outlet. There are more-than-music reasons why something
    might be "#1", and that's cool, I'm just trying to see it for what it is.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dizzybull where you at

Yeah, i was just thinking about that one. I still love it. I listened to that and Keane alot, but lately I've listened to Fishscale and Blue Carpet alot. But for overall 'timelessness' I think I'll have to go with Camera Obscura. Thats just some fantastic shit.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    My vote:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I want to ask you guys about DONUTS.

music

Give anyone on SoulStrut (or elsewhere) the same samples used on Donuts to make a record and I think the results would speak for themselves, compared to what Dilla did with them.

The actual music is filled with a kind of raw energy and emotion that I don't hear too often these days (in "new" music). The experimental use of textures and vocal bits all play into the creativity of Donuts. Not to mention that the compositions themselves are expressly intricate.

It's hard NOT to take into consideration that most of Donuts was made in a hospital room, basically on Dilla's death bed. If Dilla hadn't passed, would this still be in contention for album of the year? That's a definite "yes" in my book...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Terry, that shit is so motherfucking SOULFUL.

music

i listened to this album the most in 2006, something about it kept me coming back to it time & time again. dilla's chops are fuckin phenomenal, to listen to the sample material and then to hear what dilla did with it blows my mind.

my other contenders for AOTY are clipse, outkast, TI, & ghostface-fishscale, all are good to me but none of them are really fuckin with donuts.

music

i think if given the challenge, few if any could recreate the vibe that dilla banged out on his MPC...to me, DONUTS is only to be enjoyed in its entirety and that's where it shines...and that's how it got my #1. it's simple but fresssh.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Please be serious.
    Its a really good album

It's a good album by a veteran rapper who's been doing the same thing this time of year for almost a decade: putting half a dozen great tracks with half a dozen good ones and half a dozen terds, and putting it out.

I tend to think a lot of dudes that are enthusing over this have slept on Snoop's last couple of albums. Also: R&G was a much better record and a more significant departure for Snoop.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Nah I'd interpret it as I think dude's been pretty consistent throughout his career - except for the first No Limit album which is trash (Topp Dogg and Last Meal are pretty good) and maybe Tha Doggfather which I haven't listened to in years. But his sound has changed a lot over the years, as far as producers he's worked with and musical directions he's taken.

I don't think his first post-NL 'comeback' record will age that well but it DOES have "Batman & Robin" which is hysterical

Nah I'd interpret it as I think dude's been pretty consistent throughout his career - except for the first No Limit album which is trash (Topp Dogg and Last Meal are pretty good) and maybe Tha Doggfather which I haven't listened to in years. But his sound has changed a lot over the years, as far as producers he's worked with and musical directions he's taken.

I don't think his first post-NL 'comeback' record will age that well but it DOES have "Batman & Robin" which is hysterical

What I'm saying is that every album dude puts out is greeted with "Snoop is back! This is his best record since Doggystyle!" and, while, he may work with a different assortment of producers each time, the overall level of quality seldom varies. There are always some good tracks, some decent ones and some terds, in about the same proportions.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Well yeah I don't think this one is as good as No Limit Topp Dogg never mind Doggystyle but its still one of the better rap albums released this year

Well yeah I don't think this one is as good as No Limit Topp Dogg never mind Doggystyle but its still one of the better rap albums released this year

I agree--I just don't see how anyone can declare it "Album of the Year" with a straight face.

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Please be serious.
    Its a really good album

It's a good album by a veteran rapper who's been doing the same thing this time of year for almost a decade: putting half a dozen great tracks with half a dozen good ones and half a dozen terds, and putting it out.

I tend to think a lot of dudes that are enthusing over this have slept on Snoop's last couple of albums. Also: R&G was a much better record and a more significant departure for Snoop.

I've listened to the whole album now. I agree with Faux Rillz, over half of those beats are cheesy and not worth a second listen.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The real disappointments on the Snoop to me are the Dre tracks, sans "Imagine." WTF @ sampling Dido...AGAIN

I agree--I just don't see how anyone can declare it "Album of the Year" with a straight face.

Because people like it more than any other album they've heard this year, maybe?

Crazy is definitely one of my most favorite songs this year. I've already played it to death, and judging from the stores I've gone in to and cars that have driven by, I'm not the only one. The snoop album is HOT down here.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Crazy is definitely one of my most favorite songs this year.
    I agree with this

• burial is my second... i listen'd to that shit nonstop all summer.

Because people like it more than any other album they've heard this year, maybe?

Then they must not have heard very many albums.

Crazy "Get Yo Pads Up" is definitely one of my most favorite songs this year. I've already played it to death.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    faux rillz doesn't care about the children

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Faux, what is YOUR album of the year?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Does this not count? Hands down my favorite cd of the year.

- spidey

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Does this not count? Hands down my favorite cd of the year.

- spidey

I don't know it. Is it a 2006 release? Then it counts.

There is a lot of killer songs on the snoop album.

The intro is dope, then right into that shit that our man here produced, then right into crazy, with that crazy ass bassline and nate dogg singing about SoCal, then snoop doing the 'don't you know i'm loco-co-co-co' and then BOOM that vato beat drops... Shit I even like that song "Candy". And the beat on that "10 little crips" joint is banging as shit. with those guitars. That shit with the 9 inch Dix is funny and even makes my wife laugh.

There are some terds here. The timbo song sucks. LAX with Ice Cube is wack. The beat is alright, but Ice Cube sucks. The only reason to listen to this song is to hear Snoop say "Are we there yet?" which I would have taken as a diss if Cube wasn't on the song.

In a year of gloomy ass rap albums, This album is sunshine.

Faux, what is YOUR album of the year?

King, of course.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I put "King" in my top ten.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The timbo song sucks. LAX with Ice Cube is wack.
    I think these are both pretty good, although yr right about Cube but no surprise there - the beat isnt just good its kind of great. The Dre tracks are by far the weakest shit on there except for Imagine. the song about pee wee football is pretty skippable.

• I am eating a big-ass DONUT right now, so I am not sure if I should
    be in this thread, or in the Trans-Fatty-Acid-BAN thread.

Thanks to you guys for the responses re:DONUTS. What that means is
    I am going to check it out again. On new days, sometimes your ears
    hang different, you know?

I still have the suspicion that the listening of DONUTS cannot be divorced
    from the insight to its making, and the passing of its maker. And this
    changes the whole standard of grading scale. But outside of Soulstrut
    threads and December-issue magazines, a grading scale doesn't mean schitt
    anyhow. You guys are telling me you are personally drawn to keep listening
    to it as a choice, and I can respect that.

Say "button-pushy" three times out loud.