IS MYSPACE TRYING TO FUCK ME UP ???

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Whe I upload a song of MINE the myspace page tells me the following
our[/b] song has been uploaded to the MySpace Server. Now it must be converted into our streaming format and transferred to our streaming server.
Excuse me,,, YOUR SONG ???? I know that they have someething that says all that you upload belongs to them. But I asked myself what they are doing with MY music ?? And MY pictures ???Does anyone know something about it ???PeaceHakweye

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yo H!

Glad you finally realized your just another victim trapped in the

Better get your Murdoch on or your breaks will be hijacked into infinite myspace...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    that's exactly why i upload only copyrighted music...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    No paranoia? Read the user license agreement or whatever it's called if you're that concerned. Also, if you copied that straight off the website the first sentence might be missing an upper case "Y". The second sentence in that paragraph starts off correctly.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they aint trying to steal your shit.

from what i heard, it's some gracenote-like thing because record labels were getting pissed off at people uploading leaked shit

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    that's exactly why i upload only copyrighted music...

You automatically possess the copyright in any work you create. There is no formal copyrighting process.

• You automatically possess the copyright in any work you create.

Unless someone else sends it to the copyright office first. What are you, Canadian?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

You automatically possess the copyright in any work you create.

Unless someone else sends it to the copyright office first. What are you, Canadian?

• I read some shit a while back about how myspace has exclusive rights to whatever you upload to their site. I don't know where I read it, but check the user agreement if you want. I think it allows them to use any songs that anybody uploads for their own promotional purposes without any additional consent from the owner/creator of the music. I bet you could google something about it.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    I read some shit a while back about how myspace has exclusive rights to whatever you upload to their site. I don't know where I read it, but check the user agreement if you want. I think it allows them to use any songs that anybody uploads for their own promotional purposes without any additional consent from the owner/creator of the music. I bet you could google something about it.

Nah, the whole thing would be a big NAGL if they started that. They know the score and they want big time cats on there like Dave Matthews and ish, so they aint using music for promotional purposes like that. The whole contract deal is to cover them for using the media player. If they used your music, it would be a big promotional tool for your little world.

• I read some shit a while back about how myspace has exclusive rights to whatever you upload to their site. I don't know where I read it, but check the user agreement if you want. I think it allows them to use any songs that anybody uploads for their own promotional purposes without any additional consent from the owner/creator of the music. I bet you could google something about it.

This is true. Basically if you upload a track to MySpace, they could go and use it in a TV commercial without paying you a thing.

The troublesome fine print informs users that by posting any content, "you hereby grant to MySpace.com a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services.[/b]"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/424418p-358103c.html

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    I read some shit a while back about how myspace has exclusive rights to whatever you upload to their site. I don't know where I read it, but check the user agreement if you want. I think it allows them to use any songs that anybody uploads for their own promotional purposes without any additional consent from the owner/creator of the music. I bet you could google something about it.

This is true. Basically if you upload a track to MySpace, they could go and use it in a TV commercial without paying you a thing.

You would get so much promotion if your track was the first to get used, and all the major label people would pull there stuff automatcally and never allow the songs to be uploaded again. It would bring myspace down as a promotinal tool for labels and artist which they dont wanna do, and whatever artist they did that too would get mad press..

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    But Myspace.com spokesman Jeff Berman says not to worry. "Because the legalese has caused some confusion, we are at work revising it to make it very clear that MySpace is not seeking a license to do anything with an artist's work other than allow it to be shared in the manner the artist intends," Berman says. "Obviously, we don't own their music or do anything with it that they don't want."

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

You automatically possess the copyright in any work you create.

I know that in the States you can register your copyright, but I understand that this is mostly used in circumstances where authorship/ownership is complex. It's still the case that an author automatically owns the copyright in any work they create.