Low End Theory VS. Midnight Marauders.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It seems as though the experience of "WAITSG" left a more lasting impression on you than it sure did on me, my man.

I just recall the streets really embracing Low End Theory whole hardedly.
    They shed the dashiki's and stepped away from the "De La Hippie" shit that the media ate the fuck up. Put Brand Nubian and DITC up in the mix and really fortified their shit. Phife demanded the ball more and added a nice contrast to The Abstract's flow ala Ced Gee to Kool Keith(big jump). They really caught cats by surprise w/ the second joint IMO. By the time the 3rd album came out alot of cats had caught up or were doin other things(Gangsta..).

• "People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm" is an perfect classic. Only one song thats not that strong.

This LP was the first one which used Jazz samples in a way that was way ahead of all others. Style, flow and atmosphere is total unique.

Close after that comes "Low End Theory". I listened to it 10 minutes ago in the car. 2-3 songs that are not my taste, the rest is dope as hell. They could do what De La was not able to do with their second LP. But A Tribe was never caught so much in their image that they wanted to get out of it.

Midnight Marauder is the 3rd best LP. Some nice joints, and a lot of boring ones.

The 4th LP is aigth.

The 5th was extremly disapointing, but who could knew that Dilla was 10 years ahead of the game. So the 5th grew over the years and is for me also on place 3.

So hate me now.

Peace
    Hawkeye

P.S.
    By the way, everybody is looking for the Nas Is Like sample right ???

DJ Riz from Brookly found it. Is anyone connected with him ?????

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah Riz has it. A COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah Riz has it. A COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE.

Nuff respect to that dude and I will say, this thread is the sole redeeming quality of the day and a worthy (like James) :5pager:

That said, it's a real tough call, but MM caught me at prime time. I grew up with both and they each had their own impact, but by the time MM came out I was fully smoking weed and "coming into my own" so that shit had alot to do with it. That whole album had it's own vibe for real. I remember walking back from Jack in the Box late at night with the headphones on with my man O. Both of us high as hell bugging on the whole thing. I miss those days.

JACK IN THE BOX I TELL YA!

• That said, it's a real tough call, but MM caught me at prime time. I grew up with both and they each had their own impact, but by the time MM came out I was fully smoking weed and "coming into my own" so that shit had alot to do with it. That whole album had it's own vibe for real. I remember walking back from Jack in the Box with the headphones on with my man O. Both of us high as hell bugging on the whole thing. I miss those days.

That brings me to one question. What is the reason for us to like music, certain songs or a whole LP.

Is it of the strenght of the LP and its musical value or is it the connection between the music and the situations we are in when we listened to it ???

I think it has nothing to do with the situations, I mean yes, OK, it will grow on you and if I listen to the 2nd Massive Attack LP I get instant flash backs to certain situations that are none of your buisness my friend, but that LP would still be fucking great if I had never done what I did to those tunes.

I think the situations we are in are the icing on top of a tune, but the tune has to be dope before the icing comes on top.

So it all comes down to the same thing, you cant argue about taste. So stop writing and discussing things here you cant discuss, you morons

Peace
    Hawkeye

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    That said, it's a real tough call, but MM caught me at prime time. I grew up with both and they each had their own impact, but by the time MM came out I was fully smoking weed and "coming into my own" so that shit had alot to do with it. That whole album had it's own vibe for real. I remember walking back from Jack in the Box with the headphones on with my man O. Both of us high as hell bugging on the whole thing. I miss those days.

That brings me to one question. What is the reason for us to like music, certain songs or a whole LP.

Is it of the strenght of the LP and its musical value or is it the connection between the music and the situations we are in when we listened to it ???

I think it has nothing to do with the situations, I mean yes, OK, it will grow on you and if I listened to the 2nd Massive Attack LP I get instant flash backs to certain situations that are none of your buisness my friend, but that LP would still be fucking great if I had never done what I did to those tunes.

I think the situations we are in are the icing on top of a tune, but the tune has to be dope before the icing comes on top.

So it all comes down to the same thing, you cant argue about taste. So stop writing and discussing things here you cant discuss, you morons

Peace
    Hawkeye

Haha, yeah, I mean, the album is what matters. I just remember that's what I was doing the first time I heard it. Believe me, the record has lasted longer than the memory of being high walking down the block from a fast food spot.

• I totaly understand you, like I said, 10 minutes ago I listened to Low End Theory in my car, and Phife spit that it is 1991. And I thought "No, its not, its 2006". Fuck I'm getting old, that LP is 15 years old. Thats the age of some of the kids that read and watch what I'm doing as a journalist. THEY WERE BORN WHEN I CHILLED TO LOW END THEORY !!!!

Thats freaking me out in a way.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ahahhh, you know I'm drunk now....

Ladies and gentlemen, that reminds me, we got my favorite man sittin' over here, his name is....

Anyway, I love MM, but LET tops it.

• Ahahhh, you know I'm drunk now....

Ladies and gentlemen, that reminds me, we got my favorite man sittin' over here, his name is....

Where's Daze when we need him?

Pooh butt.

Herm

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    low end theory

• low end theory

definetly!

Midnight Marauders belongs to this thread
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post763723

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    low end theory

definetly!

Midnight Marauders belongs to this thread
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post763723

MM has Sucka Nigga, one my favourite ATCQ tracks ever but nothing can beat the first time I heard Buggin' Out on Low End, never mind Scenario - my face plain melted off.

• definitely LOW END THEORY[/b]!!!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

The 4th LP is aigth.

The 5th was extremly disapointing, but who could knew that Dilla was 10 years ahead of the game. So the 5th grew over the years and is for me also on place 3.

I don't expect anyone to believe me here, but I was saying those last two Tribe albums were ahead of the game when they dropped. With hindsight, I can understand why cats weren't feeling them in the shadow of the preceding couple of albums, but I genuinely thought that, for all their flaws, they were both chock-full of innovative shit. Tribe took a big leap with those records, and it's a pity their audience didn't embrace them.

Oh, yeah. LET just shades it, but MM is almost as good.

• Low End Theory is my pick. I can still throw it on anytime and listen to the whole thing. I remember being blown away the first time I heard it and I still get that feeling from it sometimes. I hope I have it at work today so I can listen to it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Low End Theory. For some reason, I've always though of Midnight Maurauders as one of the favorite rap albums of people who don't like rap music.

• LOW END THEORY.[/b] One of the great rap albums of all times (right behind the new Jeezy and Clipse albums).
    It took me awhile to even get used to MM... not that I , but all I know is I bought Enter The Wu-Tang the same day and felt like it was totally > than MM. I couldn't get with the kick / snare programming of MM as opposed to the drums loops of LET at first... I did grow to cherish MM in it's own right eventually. Still waiting for LM to grow on me, though... just haven't reached that of awareness yet

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    For some reason, I've always though of Midnight Maurauders as one of the favorite rap albums of people who don't like rap music.

I would argue this argument is valid for low end theory as well.

I know a lot of people who don??t like rap music, but who like low end theory, mindnight marauders and people??s instictive travels.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

This one is a tough call, but I gotta go with "Low End Theory." "Low End Theory" had more of an impact on me, given its contrast to "People's Instinctive Travels..." than the jump from LET to "Midnight Marauders." Plus, by the time MM came out I was getting more into "harder" hip-hop music. Both are great and I still listen to them periodically. Incidentally, I have "People's Instinctive Travels..." in the Envoy's CD player right now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• That said, it's a real tough call, but MM caught me at prime time. I grew up with both and they each had their own impact, but by the time MM came out I was fully smoking weed and "coming into my own" so that shit had alot to do with it. That whole album had it's own vibe for real. I remember walking back from Jack in the Box late at night with the headphones on with my man O. Both of us high as hell bugging on the whole thing. I miss those days.

This is eerily close to my own experience, JitB and all.

Still, I prefer Low End Theory.

Did Ron Carter play any on MM?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In terms of as an artist leap forward, LET > MM. But in terms of refinement of a sound/style, MM > LET.

Both are incredible albums.

Personally, I've always favored LET because, to me, it was more revolutionary. It's the same reason I'd take "De La Soul Is Dead" over "Buhloone Mindstate" even if the latter, arguably, is more sophisticated...DLSID was just an amazing leap forward by the group.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

• For me its Midnight Marauders.
    LET is amazing, no question about that. But for me on Midnight Marauder they raised the level even higher, I thought Phife really stepped his game up on this album.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've gotta go with "Low End Theory" too. Hearing that for the first time just blew me and everyone I knew away. I really liked "People's Instinctive Travels.." but I was not expecting them to make such a giant leap forward on the second LP. As soon as I heard "Check The Rhime" I knew that it was some monumental shit from the first listen.

I love MM too, but it wasn't so unexpectedly great, I was waiting for them to come out with something dope, and they did. Plus, as other people have said, the other stuff that was going on in hip-hop made MM feel not quite as cutting edge as LET at the time. It wasn't a letdown, but it wasn't quite as "Holy Shit!" as LET.

• if i had to take one to a desert island or some ish...i'd take marauders.

Lyrics To Go is just and 8 million Stories is

Keep

BOUNCING

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Midnight Marauders is perfection

• for me personally, its "Low End Theory", that shit is was advanced compared to "MM", which is still amazing but "LET" just has the edge - the whole way the album was produced, mastered and did not contain any stupid skits makes it timeless....

....I recently acquired the "LET Show Vinyl" and I can honestly say that shit is still great without the rapping, so much so that it makes the instrumental version of "stunts, blunts and hip hop" sound like a bunch of sloppy loops.

• "Check The Rhyme (Instrumental)" Looped forever

Thank you, thank you, thank you Minnie Ripperton

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

For me I chose Low End Theory because I got that LP back in the mid to late 90s (didn't even start listening to hip-hop until then) and I listened to it non stop , and I didn't get Midnight Marauders until like 2000. I was so into LET that Midnight Marauders, although very dope, didn't have the same impact on me.

This thread seems very evenly split down the middle, which is cool , because both albums are caliber .

• i think i listened to both LET and MM too much back in high school, kinda wore em out so to speak, so that they don't carry the same currency for me today. now i find myself revisiting BEATS, RHYMES, and LIFE more. i'll admit, it's got a few tracks that snore, and the 'hardness' comes off rather forced at times, but that UMMAH production on the whole...

is this blasphemous?

'watch me stab up the track like my name was oj simpson'

is that phife's best verse of all time??? - creo que s??