CLASSICAL STRUT part WHATEVER.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Always around this time of the year, obviously, I start to rock The Nutcracker Suite. Tchaikovsky was that dude for sure. It amazes me that he wrote the music for the ballet, not the other way around that the ballet was choreographed the other way around... dude was definitely the truth on that shit.Strictly on that Russian shit, I fuck with them dudes. Like I fuck with a few of them dudes from The Five, in particular Mussorgsky and Rimski-Korsakov. On the later tip I mess with Stravinski of course, like I got "Sacre Du Printemps" and "Firebird Suite" both conducted by Stravinski himself... on vinyl at that. But all this "BIG SOUNDING" shit you dig? That MAJESTIC sounding shit, but nothing too corny.I also mess with the romantic dudes, like I mess with Debussy pretty major. I got stuff of his done by Eugene Ormandy, Michael Tilson Thomas and Branford Marsalis. I've also started to get into Chopin, and Hadyn as well... where I got a grip of shit done by Glenn Gould. I love piano music as well so you know I'm blaze on that shit, son.Funny thing is I don't really know much about Mozart or Beethoven and all.. or Bach, even though when I was in the coma they played "Brandeberg concertos" for me and they're fucking James Flames.Other dudes I want to know about are Dvorak cause I loke "Symphony For The New World" but I don't know shit about any of his other shit. Also I guess I should check for Beethoven and Mozart, and maybe Brahams.Okay what else is good? Who are you people checking for?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    if you like Dvorak, Stravinsky, and Mussoursky, you should def, check Bartok and Kodaly, if you haven't already...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Mozart or Beethoven and all.. or Bach

honestly, this is the essence.

I really appreciate H??ndel too.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Van Cliburn
    Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 in B-Flat Minor op.23
    LSC 2252
    Kiril Kondrashin, Conductor

Kills it. Probably a copy in every dollar bin in your town.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

So please, tell me what to check for.

• if you dont know bach and want to discover it on a jazzy way, try this

• Cosmo, I have a few recommendations for you.

Earlier this year I heard Strauss's "Also sprach Zarathustra" also known as "That song in 2001: A Space Odyssey." Basically, this song is about nature vs man, which you can hear in the two dominant chords played throughout. Strauss leaves it unresolved at the end. Very mysterious of him, but it was influenced by Nietzsche, so that should give you an idea.

Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is another interdisciplinary composition, this time based on some paintings. There's a write-up about it on Wikipedia if you really want to know. I got to play cymbals during "The Great Gate of Kiev" back in elementary. RAD!

Shostakovich's 5th symphony is a bombastic piece of nationalism.

Way back in the day, I'd put in Respighi's "The Pines of Rome" while playing Legos. "Pines Near a Catacomb" is a haunting movement--scared the shit out of me! I used to look at the giant liner notes from the LP case which would show these underground graves lined up. Creepy! Can't recommend this one enough!

Smetana's (pronounced "Smetna") "Bartered Bride" is insane. He gives the second violins some (how audacious is that!) at the beginning. They're followed by the rest of the orchestra and you're off.

Ravel's "Bolero" sounds like something from "Indiana Jones." According to Wiki, the Bolero is a Spanish dance. If you like a little change from common time, this one's in 3/4. It's only one movement, too, so if you get bored you only have 15 minutes to sit through.

Chopin's "Concerto No. 1 in E Minor" is another, as some might say, nice one! Most of his stuff is lyrical, but the opener in this one is big and loud. A good change of pace as it relates to Chopin.

That should suffice for now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Thanks for chiming in, dude. I remember that you had a real serious classical background.

I'm familiar with "Also sprach Zarathustra" plus I have "Pictures At An Exhibition" which is one of my favorites. I had a Ukranian roommate about 10 years ago and we we get all smoked out and play chess while it was playing, and we would always bug out when the "Great Gate of Kiev" came busting through towards the end.

As for the Chopin, I have this in my collection "Chopin Concerto No. 1, Rachmaninov" but I don't know if it is the E MINOR one you're talking about.

You want to check it out and see? It's blazing, either way.

• That's the one. Do you have the other two movements?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nope.

• Hang on. I'll get them to you but it might take a bit of time.

I'll put those Pines of Rome songs up, too.

• Ravel's "Bolero" sounds like something from "Indiana Jones." According to Wiki, the Bolero is a Spanish dance. If you like a little change from common time, this one's in 3/4. It's only one movement, too, so if you get bored you only have 15 minutes to sit through.

I just learned something interesting in reference to this song. Jefferson Airplane's-White Rabbit was written after listening to this piece of music over and over one night while dosing on extremely strong LSD. If you listen to this piece of music and then listen to their song, the influence is very obvious. Bolero is a great piece of music. One of my favorite songs for red wine and candle nights with a lady you love.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    AI,
    did you ever check out Rachmoninov? Dope shit. Piano Concerto #3 is the classic and, I'm convinced, should be sampled @ 8:43.

http://download.yousendit.com/C2E6CA1B3EC7BAEB

Check it out.

~gNAT

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Can Symphony No. 25 in G minor, K. 183 1st movement get some love?

Talk about a track

Amadeus was the realness.

• Don't worry: That one gets tons of love. One of the best ever. Makes me want to watch Salieri attempt suicide.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

So please, tell me what to check for.

there is very little from these guys not worth to check out.

Mozart: piano concerts and string quartetts are among my favourites.

Bach: Goldberg variations and Brandenburg concertos are a good place to start with.

Beethoven: the symphonies

• Rachmaninov is the dude

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Chopin and Bach are a 100 years apart so probably best to explore composers grouped chronologically around the ones you already like. Bach, Beethoven, Handel and Mozart all did orchestral works and chamber stuff alongside pieces for specific instruments, so a huge variety to pick from. Alfred Brendel playing Bach piano sonatas is up there with Glenn Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations - totally different style but beautiful. Some conductors to look out for - John Eliot Gardner, Robert King, Paul McCreesh and Trevor Pinnock.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Makes me want to watch Salieri attempt suicide.

HAHA.. Same here!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Cosmo, I highly recomend a book called " Lives of the Great Composers ". The guy writes in a very readable way, and a lot of it is actually kind of funny.

So, if for example you decide to check out Beethoven's late string quartets (which I think you should) then I would read the beethoven chapter at the same time. So when you are listening to the music, you know where dude was coming from at that point in his life. It gives a whole new depth to the music.

Co-sine on the Rachmoninov. Piano concertos number 2 and 3. Mozart I could live without. Beethoven, check out the piano sonatas. Thats hours of great music right there.

Tchaicovski was gay by the way. Not that it matters, but he was.

Check out some Schumann and Schubert too. Brahms, of course.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Beethoven was black, right?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

They all were.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

No.