TOP CRACK RAP ALBUMS

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I didn't put too much thought into this list, so I am open to criticisms/hatterisms. There's just so much good crack rap! How to ever choose?!?!1. Onlybuilt42. Illegal Business3. Purple Haze4. Lifestyles Ov Da Poor & Dangerous5. Federal or In A Major WayHONORABLE MENTION: Lesson To Be LearnedI know, I know: no Biggie, Hov or Southern representers...You guys can fill those in if you like.Hatteurs connect/politick/ditto...

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Too Hard To Swallow.

• 1. Onlybuilt4

yup!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's a real solid top 5.

• tough to argue with any of those, but i would have to have some T.I. somewhere in my list

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I like Purple Haze but that does not belong in any top crack rap records list.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• I like Purple Haze but that does not belong in any top crack rap records list.

would the one called deej care to offer his suggestions?

• Could I get a clarification of what qualifies as crack rap? The rapper has a history in the dope game? There are songs about selling crack? Or does there need to be constant crack/coke references in every song. My vote is for the last group. I never really considered Big L a crack rapper.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah Big L seems out of place too.

• I'm going to stick with songs, since I don't think my definition of crack rap is the same as yours.

In no particular order:
    Free, What We Do..., Flipside (P. Crakk is a must on this list) by Freeway
    In the Trunk by Too $hort
    Life's a Bitch by Nas
    Young Boy, Virginia, Grindin', maybe Comedy Central (just because of Fab's verse) by Clipse
    Come Home with Me by Cam'Ron
    Trap Muzik, Doin' My Job, Rubber Band Man, Be Better than Me, Long Live the Game by T.I.
    I Can't Go on This Way, Tales of a Hustler by BSB

Just a few. I'll leave the No Limit stuff to Faux_Rillz.

• Could I get a clarification of what qualifies as crack rap? The rapper has a history in the dope game? There are songs about selling crack? Or does there need to be constant crack/coke references in every song. My vote is for the last group. I never really considered Big L a crack rapper.

Big L was the only one I deliberated on before including. I agree that his subject matter goes beyond crack, and that his albums are not dedicated solely to tales of the crack game. But I just had to mention dude, and the truth is he does rap about selling crack at least a little bit.

As for the other albums, I'd say the songs contained therein either deal exclusively with different sides/aspects of the crack game, or the crack game influences the album's content so heavily as to represent an ever-present lietmotif.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    m-m-m-make crack like this

And cosign all of Noz's

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i've always wondered how rappers who double as crack exporters handle their media/interviews/publicity. everyone left right and centre will talk about weed if they're one of those weed heavy image types...but is coke and crack and the other synthetics ever addressed/bragged about in PR? or is it, but it's just never published?

• Did I completely misunderstand the 'plex 'phors on this one? If so, then I agree with you.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Tons of rappers rap about crack, i donno that i've ever seperated my collection into 'crack rap albums' and 'other' before, there's too much going on in most of the albums everyone's posting to say its 'just' a crack rap album.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'm going to stick with songs, since I don't think my definition of crack rap is the same as yours.

In no particular order:
    Life's a Bitch by Nas
    Young Boy, Virginia, Grindin', maybe Comedy Central (just because of Fab's verse) by Clipse
    Trap Muzik, Doin' My Job, Rubber Band Man, Be Better than Me, Long Live the Game by T.I.

"In The Trunk" is about selling tapes, not cocaine!

• Tons of rappers rap about crack, i donno that i've ever seperated my collection into 'crack rap albums' and 'other' before, there's too much going on in most of the albums everyone's posting to say its 'just' a crack rap album.

Yeah, I guess my original list represents albums that, to my mind, are, plain-and-simple, "about" the crack game.

Sure not each song on each album is exclusively about crack, but a) most of the songs deal with it on some level, and b) the persona of the rapper is overwhelming defined by their participation in the crack game.

Hey, I was just a little dismayed by recent posts denigrating crack rap. I wanted to show the kids that some of hip-hops best albums are about crack! Let's hear it for crack rap, kids!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "I'm Not You" is the best Clipse-coke song.

• m-m-m-make crack like this

man I love those 90's-era No Limit record cover designs. it's like its very own aesthetic; shit belongs in a museum retrospective in 20 yrs time.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Seriously all you dudes trying to justify NOT putting "Cuban Links" on your top 5 - if not at number 1, need to get focused.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Seriously all you dudes trying to justify NOT putting "Cuban Links" on your top 5 - if not at number 1, need to get focused.

i was young and ignorant and in the suburbs when i heard this album...i thought raekwon had sinus problems. sniffing it up like a motherphucker...."dude, this is your solo debut, album, if you got a cold, don't be recording skits while you're sniffling and sheit. blow your nose!"

fast forward a couple of years "oh...its coke rap"

• I'm going to stick with songs, since I don't think my definition of crack rap is the same as yours.

In no particular order:
    Life's a Bitch by Nas

"In The Trunk" is about selling tapes, not cocaine!

Crack tapes, baby!

Phew, that was a close one!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Did I completely misunderstand the 'plex 'phors on this one?

lookout for the man with the mask and the white pony...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• I mean...the CRACK!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Those hats are gross

• Did I completely misunderstand the 'plex 'phors on this one?

lookout for the man with the mask and the white pony...

Well, yeah, I get that one...

So that particular song is in, but I didn't think the album had a crack concept aside from a reference here and there.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    are we differentiating betwixt coke albums and crack albums, or just mashing the genres up?

• "I'm Not You" is the best Clipse-coke song.

malice's verse pretty much sums it up:

Rappers is talking to me as if (come on)
    We in the same boat I tell them quick no I move Coke! (uh uhh)
    And you and I don't share no common bond,
    So forgive me if I don't recieve you with open arms (No)
    It shames me to no end,
    To feed poison to those who could very well be my kin (uh huh)
    But where there's demand, someone will supply
    So I feed them their needs at the same time cry
    Yes it pains me to see them need this
    All of them lost souls and I'm their Jesus
    Deepest regret and sympathy to the street
    I see them pay for they fix when they kids couldn't eat (so sorry)
    And with this in mind, I still didn't quit
    And that's how I know, that I aint shit (I aint shit)
    My heart bleed but that's aside from the fact,
    I live from my kids and theirs and them youngins after that

This thread is teaching me that I am into more coke/crack rap than I like to admit to myself... lol