Forget Clipse. Let's talk about Jeezy.

Comments

• am i the only one that thinks hell rell isn't bad? he's about 44.5x the rapper jim jones is

You may be suffering from a touch of whatever plagues the one rootlesscosmo.

I don't know how I ever got associated with either of these guys, but fuck it, let's go!!!

For the record I think both Jim Jones and Hell Rell suck on the mic.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    am i the only one that thinks hell rell isn't bad? he's about 44.5x the rapper jim jones is

You may be suffering from a touch of whatever plagues the one rootlesscosmo.

I don't know how I ever got associated with either of these guys, but fuck it, let's go!!!

For the record I think both Jim Jones and Hell Rell suck on the mic.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This is the album of the year.

-e

• young
    jeezy
    is
    fucking
    WACK!

who the hell are the people who like all this bullshit?

• It's funny how people either love this dude or hate him. I personally love his sound, his selection of beats, his adlibs, his persona, all of it. I don't care about his influence on the community and the kids or his loyalty to the hood or how many walruses had to die to upholster the inside of his "porsche truck" or whatever the fuck, it's just music. You play it, listen to it, you enjoy it, or you don't. I happen to enjoy it. Lucky for me, I guess, I don't have to get bent out of shape over it! Ha! I really think a lot of people attempt listening to "this kind of rap" with expectations that they're going to hear some mind blowing lyrics or some amazing composed masterpiece. It's fucking crack rap folks, you should know what you're getting before you listen to it, so why bother listening and then hating on it? Just don't listen to it. Go buy yourself a mos def CD or whatever floats your boat.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    so why bother listening and then hating on it?

Because it's much more informed than not listening and then hating on it.

For real, though, I'm firmly in the "Jeezy is wack as hell" camp. I'm still mystified by his repeated statements that he doesn't really care about music that much. If he doesn't care, why does he do it? And if all he cares about is "keeping it real," then why would he enter the rap game, which is about as non-real as it gets?

• It's fucking crack rap folks

crack rap? like the cd is $20 and it gets you high as fuck for 15 minutes then you waste your life trying to get it like that again only to realize in the end that it just wasn't worth it to suck that dude off for his wack cd?

nah, i hear you though. to each his own. i'm not talking about people who like it, i just can't get with it. his flows just annoy me and i am extra tired of keyboard beats with 808 drums. i try to give everything a chance and i am liking a lot more of the underground stuff and radio stuff these days than i thought i used to. it just makes me wonder what it is that makes these so called great rappers great. the lyrics are always dull and lifeless. no spark. no artistry. like, game. what is the big idea with that fool? so he has beats, thats it. his raps are lackluster. these cats never say shit that makes me smile or want to even pay attention. i hated rob base for the same reason. its just talking.

this true school rant brought to you by king otto.

• it's just music. You play it, listen to it, you enjoy it, or you don't.

WRONG!

This is such a tired argument. Never mind the social implications of music, you're essentially reducing this guy's music to the lowest form of artistry: escapist art. If I were a musician, I'd hate to have my music described like what you said.

I'm not going to comment on the musical part of his album because that's a subjective thing, but when you start to talk about message and meaning, how can you support this guy?

And fuck Charles Barkley. What a horrible precedent to set down. Motherfuckers ever heard of being responsible adults?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Essential late night music.

Exactly. I can't imagine this album being as good during the day.

• I love how Hov claimed that he couldn't get with Timbaland's new beats in that radio interview and then we hear this album where Tim gives Jeezy a beat that sounds nothing like his pop shit. It makes Jay's excuses in that interview seem even more ridiculous.

• so why bother listening and then hating on it?

Because it's much more informed than not listening and then hating on it.

For real, though, I'm firmly in the "Jeezy is wack as hell" camp. I'm still mystified by his repeated statements that he doesn't really care about music that much. If he doesn't care, why does he do it? And if all he cares about is "keeping it real," then why would he enter the rap game, which is about as non-real as it gets?

Come Enki, you know the answer...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Essential late night music.

Exactly. I can't imagine this album being as good during the day.
    Also, this is not to be played on bullshit cpu speakers and/or weak stereo.
    Full effects are experienced when played on stereo that handles bass well.

Hi I*n.

• it's just music. You play it, listen to it, you enjoy it, or you don't.

WRONG!

This is such a tired argument. Never mind the social implications of music, you're essentially reducing this guy's music to the lowest form of artistry: escapist art.

No I'm not, I just don't take it so seriously that i get bent out of shape over the fact that people actually like it, that's all. I'm a simple man, I don't need to analyze everything to death before I can enjoy it. Some things don't need explanation. I don't listen to rap to be enlightened or inspired, i listen to it to be entertained without having to think too much. If I want to listen to thought provoking music, I throw on some Booker Ervin or some Eric Dolphy or some Mingus.

• I don't listen to rap to be enlightened or inspired, i listen to it to be entertained without having to think too much.

= escapist art.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    That Timbaland song is and the rest of the album sounds good on first listen, not 101-status, but it may grow on me, either way I need to take this CD to our car with subwoofers because it's not working in my Ford Explorer, bass is rattling.

I won't get into positive influence shit because Jeezy is not a positive influence, I listen to him and I love him but I don't recommend him to my teenage students and I do make them take off their snowman shirts in class- call me a hypocrite, but at-risk kids need some positive influences in their life. Like I said in a previous Jeezy thread (when his last LP came out I believe) I am a grown-up who is not going to drop out of school to slang rock, my kids have dads in jail, sisters on the street, brothers selling drugs, moms doing drugs- shit is serious for them. I don't want them to have any kind of "thug motivation". They need "graduate high school" motivation and "turn in their English essay" motivation".

well, I guess I did "get into" that influence shit, oh well....

• I won't get into positive influence shit because Jeezy is not a positive influence, I listen to him and I love him but I don't recommend him to my teenage students and I do make them take off their snowman shirts in class- call me a hypocrite, but at-risk kids need some positive influences in their life. Like I said in a previous Jeezy thread (when his last LP came out I believe) I am a grown-up who is not going to drop out of school to slang rock, my kids have dads in jail, sisters on the street, brothers selling drugs, moms doing drugs- shit is serious for them. I don't want them to have any kind of "thug motivation". They need "graduate high school" motivation and "turn in their English essay" motivation".

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I need to take this CD to our car with subwoofers because it's not working in my Ford Explorer, bass is rattling.

nnnnnnnnnnnope! shit ain't happening on my watch, holmes. my butter soft leather seats need a positive influence their life. no crack rap in my car please.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

this true school rant brought to you by king otto.

Oh shit, Crew Clockwise in the house!!! For those who don't know, I can vouch for King Otto as one of my favorite drum programmers of the mid-to-late 90's. Great to see you up in here...although I can't say that I cosign your hate for Jeezy.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I don't want them to have any kind of "thug motivation". They need "graduate high school" motivation and "turn in their English essay" motivation".

sheeeit. you need some "stay out my car" motivation. i need some "find some new places to hide the spare key" motivation.

take that shit to www.gofindanewmanthatwillletdrivearoundinhiscar.com

struggle represented.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Blue Carpet is OFFICIALLY the soundtrack of SD right now.

I went to Fam Mart this morning with HJ, and we were cruising around listening to it. We roll up into Fam Mart, and they had that CD on repeat.

I stepped out into the parking lot to grab a smoke, and some dude rolls up with it Booming out of his trunk.

I was so goddam happy. And I got a dope ass t-shirt there too.

So yeah, you need to set anna straight! nothing but Snoop in the car this week. NOTHING. Or you do not really represent SoCal.

p.s. Rachel is having a gowing away party at her house in PB tonight if you guys want to roll out there.

• struggle represented.

It's an everyday thing.

struggle represented.

It's an everyday thing.

In the hidden basement of the club.....

I'm well put together.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Dizzy, I have never, nor shall I ever, "represent SoCal". Sorry.

ps. I am sick as hell and unable to party- blah.

ps. I am sick as hell and unable to party- blah.

I'm hungover as shit right now. ugggggggggg.

• This album is awful IMO... the production is mediocre and at best an average triton rehash of everything else this year. the only standout track is Mr. 15 and thats ehhh at best.

My hangover lasted through monday. I feel fine now, thanks.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Jeezy is good shit. Its love it or hate it music. Which is usually the best kind.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    crook by the book > the inspiration

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    crook by the book > the inspiration

you really think so? I got to give it a couple more listens. I only scanned through it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    All I know is "Go Getta" has become my winter anthem.