Records that you got straight from the artist

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I got in touch with one of the band members of the Danish fusion group Ariel and I got both LPs for free cause he was excited about my interest in the music.For some time I had been bidding on the Ebony Jam Band LP but I was outbid every time until at last I caught a copy fairly cheap. Probably because the guy wasn't auctioning any other records, and didn't put "rare modern soul/booogie......" in the auction description. It turned out the seler was Tony Newson. I gave him props and he told that he's still recording today and he sent me a track that he had recently recorded.I bought a couple of these from the label owner of the label that this LP was released on and at the same time the houseband of Lise Reinau. He was pretty ill and got moved to the hospital while we was talking. He eventually got back out and I bought a few copies. Soon after I heard that he had passed away. R.I.P.Any other have similar stories?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    A LOT of hip-hop records.

• I've had the opposite almost happen...Bobby Patterson tried to steal my "dont be so mean" 45!

• A LOT of hip-hop records.

yea some hip hop for me too.

It's been some years since I got the above mentioned records....It's not anything that happened to me recently.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    the complete 12" and CD releases from Obliq sound. great label and great artists.

http://www.obliqsound.com/

anybody else likes i.e. grandpianoramax?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I got the first Tears album on Spectator straight from Holger Laumann.

He was having a yard sale with his kids in front of his house in Frederiksberg.

• were you in Indiana?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Ocote Soul Sounds 45

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    The original CDR release of BEGBORROWSTEEL by Count Bass D. Copy # 66 of 100.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i.e.Merg & Machine Drum - Cached. Decent battle record, he threw them into the crowd after a really weak performance in SF.

• Scribble Jam, 1997.

• I was up in D&D Studios years back to meet up with Jeru to give him some kung fu flicks.
    Mobb Deep stopped by to give Preemo some hot-off-the-presses promos of "Shook Ones Pt. II".
    I was able to fanagle a couple for myself as well & still got em to this day.
    It was interesting to see/hear Preem's immediate first reaction to hearing the future classic.
    Also got to meet Biggie that same day (albeit briefly).
    He came in to record a promo for a Kid Capri tape. This was right after the Mary remix, his name just starting to bubble in NY.
    He was high as hell. Fell right out on one of the couches. Comatose.
    Wish I had the presence of mind to take a flick. It really looked like a dead man laying there.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I was up in D&D Studios years back to meet up with Jeru to give him some kung fu flicks.
    Mobb Deep stopped by to give Preemo some hot-off-the-presses promos of "Shook Ones Pt. II".
    I was able to fanagle a couple for myself as well & still got em to this day.
    It was interesting to see/hear Preem's immediate first reaction to hearing the future classic.
    Also got to meet Biggie that same day (albeit briefly).
    He came in to record a promo for a Kid Capri tape. This was right after the Mary remix, his name just starting to bubble in NY.
    He was high as hell. Fell right out on one of the couches. Comatose.
    Wish I had the presence of mind to take a flick. It really looked like a dead man laying there.

holy shit.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Nice guy.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Apparently Frank McComb burns his CDs himself and hand-writes the content on the CD itself if you order directly from him. I guess this is total artistic control in effect.

• ...christ, too many to even list really.

• grumpy old man

nice guys..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    *cough cough*

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

at last year's bunny beach jam. mike is still looking just as good.
    he really opened my mind to the bikini swimsuit and feeling more comfortable w/ my body hair.

• my neighbor's record

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    LMNO - Leave My Name Out is the only one I can think of........