I want a lowrider.

2»

Comments

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So you are no longer lurking. This is good.

We decided that Roosevelt was to hard of a name for our cat. We switched back to his adoption name, "Scooter". I like it. This cat is so cool... he actally comes when you call him! like a dog! neat!

I wonder if he would like to ride around in my cadillac.

Is it expensive to install hydrolics? are they high maitenance? I wonder how much a super slick paint job would be? Also I wonder how much it would cost to re-do the interior in white?

I have so many questions.

• sergserg 682 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• This is what I am trying to get.

Is that a Merc?

So this is what I'm thinking. Its probably about 7 grand for the car. 3 grand for a nice paint job (if the body is in good shape).

Then I need to figure out how much redoing the interior would be, and also how much to put a good system in there. I have no idea how much that shit costs.

And also, the engine. I don't want it to look all shitty. I want it to run really good but look nice too.

Anybody know how to guesstimate that kind of shit?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I don't need a lowrider per say.

When I'm ridiculously rich I'm going to own a fleet of Ford Festiva's, Datsuns, and 70's model hondas and toyotas, all with hydrolics on them. It'll be a grand day for me.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Sounds like you're goin for a 'driver' that looks good, not a show car (which IMO, is the way to go) In that case, pullin the engine/drivetrain/interior is a must before paint, then you can go through all the engine R&R before reinstalling, put a simple dressup kit on it, make it look a little nicer. There's a lot of low cost options for this sort of thing, you just have to look up the engine on a site like JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/StoreCatalogDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/TID-8043922) and you should be good to look at options there. The stuff is pretty standard quality on that sort of site, nothing incredible, but then you don't care as much when it gets fucked up. (and driving a car naturally fucks everything up, esp. aftermarket stuff, it's just a fact unfortunately.) I'm pretty sure they have interior stuff on there too, but there's actually some good shops in L.A. that do custom work for reasonable rates. Personally, I like when interiors are restored to 'just off the showroom floor' condition, but the older the car is, the more cost effective it is to use replica parts on things that need replacing... One thing I would not recommend if you are seriously thinking about doing this is watching those "Hot Rod TV" shows. Those guys suck. Seriously. Nothing ever works that effortlessly with car stuff. Btw: that car that Serg posted doesn't have a driveshaft. It can hop 15 feet in the air, but can't move forward.

• its all about sittin' on 30"s

• but there's actually some good shops in L.A. that do custom work for reasonable rates.

Care to share?

• my dumped daily.. a caddy, of the vw variety..

• sergserg 682 Posts
    Btw: that car that Serg posted doesn't have a driveshaft. It can hop 15 feet in the air, but can't move forward.

moving forward is played out

actually I would say no on hydros if you want to drive this thing on the regular. bags are are more reliable, and if you bust a line you don't end up with oil all over your shit.

cosign on the bullshit that is hotrod tv, those guys should be hairdressers. Hell their shop is clean enough to do it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Love the Merc leadsled. That look is No good for our speed-hump-infested roads though. Bigfoot would struggle with some of the "Traffic Calming" (Anti-Joyrider) measures around here.

Nice VW Caddy. I was hardcore VW H20 (3 x A2 GTI 16v's with all the bits) - are those BBS splitties in your avatar, Robstafari? Big up!

• Btw: that car that Serg posted doesn't have a driveshaft. It can hop 15 feet in the air, but can't move forward.

Yeah - I was wondering how that worked. I thought they'd put frontwheel drive on it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Btw: that car that Serg posted doesn't have a driveshaft. It can hop 15 feet in the air, but can't move forward.

Yeah - I was wondering how that worked. I thought they'd put frontwheel drive on it.

Doesn't seem to have an engine (unless from a slot-car) or radiator though. And when you are driving everywhere at 2mph, in sunny So-Cal, that would be kind of essential.
    I like the idea though. But that car in the Fatboy Slim video (the one where bits came off on arms and rotated and shit) was

How about this for a lowrider:

Sounds like you're goin for a 'driver' that looks good, not a show car (which IMO, is the way to go) In that case, pullin the engine/drivetrain/interior is a must before paint, then you can go through all the engine R&R before reinstalling, put a simple dressup kit on it, make it look a little nicer. There's a lot of low cost options for this sort of thing, you just have to look up the engine on a site like JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/StoreCatalogDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/TID-8043922) and you should be good to look at options there. The stuff is pretty standard quality on that sort of site, nothing incredible, but then you don't care as much when it gets fucked up. (and driving a car naturally fucks everything up, esp. aftermarket stuff, it's just a fact unfortunately.) I'm pretty sure they have interior stuff on there too, but there's actually some good shops in L.A. that do custom work for reasonable rates. Personally, I like when interiors are restored to 'just off the showroom floor' condition, but the older the car is, the more cost effective it is to use replica parts on things that need replacing... One thing I would not recommend if you are seriously thinking about doing this is watching those "Hot Rod TV" shows. Those guys suck. Seriously. Nothing ever works that effortlessly with car stuff. Btw: that car that Serg posted doesn't have a driveshaft. It can hop 15 feet in the air, but can't move forward.

Yeah, I definitely want a driver. I don't need a chromed out engine, but I want it to work like a brand new one. Like a new car off the lot. I don't want to have to keep fixing shit all the time. Because honestly, I dont know a thing about cars.

Pulling the engine sounds cool, but don't you need like a crane or something to do that? I don't have any kind of equipment.

alas, my car is no longer on craigslist. looks like it has expired.