El Michels Affair - Duel of the Iron Mic

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Their cover of "Walk On By" is sweet.

I think you mean their cover of Wu Tang's "I Can't Go to Sleep"

• What's next? Remaking Killa Beez songs?

Killarmy, son.

Pop Da Brown Hornet?

Shorty Shit Stain.

I have to say that I'm unimpressed with their covers. I'd rather hear the instrumentals.

Herm

• This is crazy unnecessary negativity,

You must be new to Soulstrut

Butterybiscuits:

Why do you say Scion is suspect? You obviously don't know what you're talking about. They're willing to give money to a lot of folks and give exposure to people, probally a lot of artists that you enjoy and people on this board (me included)

My man was telling me that Scion recently had Coney Price and the Keystones as the backing band for:

TOO-SHORT (!!?!?!)

and he said it was fucking sick and Too-Short murder it.

• diss Scion and risk the wrath of Young_Phonics!

• here is a promo joint from Raekwon & El Michels.

I love hip-hop!!!! Classic Pete Rock nastiness.

Yeah, that song is definitely -- I wonder what Pete Rock actually did since I saw it described as a "live remix."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Regardless, the mere fact that a group is able to competently execute the concept doesn't make it any less pointless as a concept. If it's not to make some extra change then I really don't get what the point of this is, creatively or otherwise.

Right but I don't like the shit just because the group competently executes the concept, but because I think its dope. I think it fits into its own little real schitt niche amongst what is currently available as far as instrumental hip hop funk covers go. I figure that's why these are selling a lotta copies. To each their own though, I guess.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but after copping the first of their Shaolin 45s, I went out and copped the El Michels full-length. Their reggae version of "Hung Up On My Baby" (or is that "Mind Playing Tricks On Me"? ) is nice.

Personally, I think it's a good idea if only from the p.o.v. of giving DJs a fresh option for a different kind of Wu blend/remix. Given that the whole mash-up thing still shows no sign of dying out completely, I'm a little surprised not to have come across a straight blend of the o.g. Wu acappella over the El Michels instro during my journeys through the blogosphere. It's kind of a no-brainer, really.

• perfect for the wintertime.

• I'm down with "nuevo-funk" Wu-Tang songs.
    It's a bit gimmiky - but I like it. It sort of reminds me of this stuff:

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Yes, better than both 7"'s.

Naw not really. It's just absurd for little dudes to yell suspect on Scion by being on some "OHH CORPORATIONS ARE RUINING HIP-HOP" bullshit. I don't know too many companies ,if any, besides Scion that are down to practically give money to club promotors for music event, throw free shows with likes of Too-Short or Dj Premier, or press 50,000 mix-cd's by a deejay crew.

Everyone on both sides of the situation know what the relationship is all about. Yeah some of the shit is a little stupid but for chris sakes i'll gladly take a nice fat check in exchange for putting a banner up and laying out some cd's and hats.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    its a fucking record, who cares

sometimes people think way too much about a record instead of listneing to it.

Is this not the Soul Stutteur way?

• my question is what's next?!

criminology?

not that anyone cares, but they already done did that...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=730043776

Personally I'd rather listen to the Charmells, but el michels certainly have chops. They did a 12" for soul fire (maybe?) that sounds pretty nice.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Where can one find this? Is there a 45?

I hear what O-Dub is saying. I bought the Cream/Glaciers 45, and I think that's all I need. It's a cool and well-executed idea for one or two 45s, but I'm looking forward to seeing them get back to their own thing on record, because they really are one of the best acts in that field. That being said, I'm listening to "Iron Mic" and that "PJs" track now, and I must admit it sounds real heavy.

I'd really like to experience Wu+EMA do this shit on stage. And speaking of that, here's that XM thing (Thanksgiving 2005?) you were asking for, Special_Ed:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LNM65L1R

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    ODub, you should try a different angle. Like aging rappers acheiving new relevancy to their target demo, aka Soulstrut Who do you think approached whom in all this? The band had the instros and put them out as a side note for DJ nerds. You can still go see the Wu live if you want.

Fabulous 3 (Truth & Soul) & Rammelzee is where it's at! (Disco-rap banger alert)

• I've had the impression that the Wu 45s were sort of an afterthought after they had already backed up Raekwon and other Wu members on numerous occasions. I believe that I saw the first Raekwon/El Michels footage before the release of the CREAM 45.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that Leon and Co. look at these 45s as significant creative output. Although, I must say that the band is doing more than simply playing the instrumentals straight ... they composed songs based on the instrumentals that act well as stand alone tracks.

But I think they're just having fun and giving people some well appreciated treats. What are they printing, 1000 of each tops? They'll probably just about break even financially. I think that their catalog of original music (including the recent 45 under the name The Impressions) speaks for itself.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Well put, err, Snagglepuss

• Well put, err, Snagglepuss

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Fabulous 3 (Truth & Soul) & Rammelzee is where it's at! (Disco-rap banger alert)

- what say what?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    all i know is i need to hear more of these other covers you guys are talkin about. glaciers of ice? who got em?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's on a Puma promo box set that came out earlier this year. I slept till the other week.

Fabulous 3 did the ridiculous 45 called Answer Me Softly on Psycho/T&S

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

Where can one find this? Is there a 45?

I think it was on Ubiquity's Rewind comp #5

MP3 below, think I got it from soulsides way back when, so thank o-dizzle

http://download.yousendit.com/7B9D09D07943C909

• all i know is i need to hear more of these other covers you guys are talkin about. glaciers of ice? who got em?

C.R.E.A.M.
    Glaciers Of Ice

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

What's next? Remaking Killa Beez songs?

Killarmy, son.

Pop Da Brown Hornet?

Shorty Shit Stain.

Damn, you win with that one.

It's on a Puma promo box set that came out earlier this year. I slept till the other week.

Fabulous 3 did the ridiculous 45 called Answer Me Softly on Psycho/T&S

Yeah, I've got the Answer Me Softly 45 - love it. I didn't know F3=EMA. That Cosmic Force "Trinidad Bump/Chocolate Starfish" 12" is them as well, right? I've got to get this. Is it possible to cop that Puma box set anywhere?

Lucero - thanks for the Walk On By mp3. Raw.

• This is crazy unnecessary negativity,

You must be new to Soulstrut

Butterybiscuits:

Why do you say Scion is suspect? You obviously don't know what you're talking about. They're willing to give money to a lot of folks and give exposure to people, probally a lot of artists that you enjoy and people on this board (me included)

My man was telling me that Scion recently had Coney Price and the Keystones as the backing band for:

aww man..i wasn't dissing them in the least...in fact i've seen money from scion myself!! they do some real nice promotional biz and i wouldn't even begin to hate in the least. my website is listed on half a million of their latest CD...

maybe my 'suspect' gremlim came off to hard. i was merely trying to say i doubt this el michels/shaolin affair is a money-making scheme.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Yeah, I've got the Answer Me Softly 45 - love it. I didn't know F3=EMA. That Cosmic Force "Trinidad Bump/Chocolate Starfish" 12" is them as well, right? I've got to get this. Is it possible to cop that Puma box set anywhere?

Not quite the same lineup as EMA, Quincy from Bronx River Pkway plays bass and Nick plays drums. I think.

Yeah the Cosmic Force was them chopped and screwed by Dimitri. Don't quote me on any of that though. I'll get an mp3 together of the Puma joint.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    diss Scion and risk the wrath of Young_Phonics!

Naw not really. It's just absurd for little dudes to yell suspect on Scion by being on some "OHH CORPORATIONS ARE RUINING HIP-HOP" bullshit. I don't know too many companies ,if any, besides Scion that are down to practically give money to club promotors for music event, throw free shows with likes of Too-Short or Dj Premier, or press 50,000 mix-cd's by a deejay crew.

Everyone on both sides of the situation know what the relationship is all about. Yeah some of the shit is a little stupid but for chris sakes i'll gladly take a nice fat check in exchange for putting a banner up and laying out some cd's and hats.

Sellout! Corporate whore! Erm...sellout!

• BRONX RIVER PARKWAY

their new album comin soon!!!

hurry up CANDELA

I really dig the EMA - I left NYC the night that they did a gig of the WU TANG instros with RZA ------ any reports???

Sellout! Corporate whore! Erm...sellout!

[i]I already had an instrumental track called "Kung Fu Kwaku" I had done for my homies DJ Platurn and DJ Spair to use on their Scion "Free up Your Mix" CD,

• HERE

perfect for the wintertime.

Can someone repost this? Download limit was reached. Thanks a lot.