El Michels Affair - Duel of the Iron Mic

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited April 2016 in Music Talk

Comments

• Many thanks. Yeah ... El Michels is untouchable right now.

• been bumping this non-stop...

you guys prolly have heard the CREAM joint as well...

also, here is a promo joint from Raekwon & El Michels.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Can someone break off a their lil instrumental version of CREAM to tide me over while I am huntin for the 7" ?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    been bumping this non-stop...

you guys prolly have heard the CREAM joint as well...

also, here is a promo joint from Raekwon & El Michels.

I love hip-hop!!!! Classic Pete Rock nastiness.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Can someone break off a their lil instrumental version of CREAM to tide me over while I am huntin for the 7" ?

they still got this at truthandsoulrecords.com...

check the store.

• Can someone break off a their lil instrumental version of CREAM to tide me over while I am huntin for the 7" ?

they still got this at truthandsoulrecords.com...

check the store.

until then...

http://www.sloppywhite.com/elmichelsaffair-cream.zip

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Let me be the first in this thread to say this:

I like the El Michaels Affair. A lot. I think their album is one of the best "nuevo-funk" CDs out there (though can someone please offer up a better name than "nuevo-funk").

However, why in the world would ANYONE need to hear a THIRD Wu-Tang song done up instrumentally by these guys? It's 2006, almost '07. Why is El Michaels spending their time, conceptually, doing some shit that Breakestra was already putting together back in 1998 (albeit, better executed than they would have done back then)?

What's next? Remaking Killa Beez songs?

If it's for the $, hey, hustle to survive - I can feel that but this is starting to feel mad corny.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Killarmy, son.

Killarmy, son.

Pop Da Brown Hornet?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I like the El Michaels Affair. A lot. I think their album is one of the best "nuevo-funk" CDs out there (though can someone please offer up a better name than "nuevo-funk").

However, why in the world would ANYONE need to hear a THIRD Wu-Tang song done up instrumentally by these guys? It's 2006, almost '07. Why is El Michaels spending their time, conceptually, doing some shit that Breakestra was already putting together back in 1998 (albeit, better executed than they would have done back then)?

If it's for the $, hey, hustle to survive - I can feel that but this is starting to feel mad corny.

Agreed, if they'd put out a whole album of wu-tang instrumentals I'd probably assume that it was corny and not well-done. I'd like to hear them do some shit off Illmatic, or pretty much any Large Professor beat.

Agreed, if they'd put out a whole album of wu-tang instrumentals I'd probably assume that it was corny and not well-done. I'd like to hear them do some shit off Illmatic, or pretty much any Large Professor beat.

You totally missed my point but in doing so, you're proving my point.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

O-Dubs is like, yo, do your OWN shit!!! (me thinks). Making a career off the nuts of the next group is

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    did anybody hear the live wu-tang/el michels show that was on XM radio recently? my friend sent me a yousendit link with all the mp3s...probably expired by now though

• Let me be the first in this thread to say this:

I'm really feeling their first few, but I hear you Odub. No need to make an album of these covers.
    I'd love to see these dudes on tour with a mainstream rapper, although it can be hard to convince the rapper to do it for several reasons. I've heard their shows with Rae have been dope.

I'm really feeling their first few, but I hear you Odub. No need to make an album of these covers.

Saying. I liked the first 45". The "PJs" joint was cool just b/c Rae was on it. But after that, you just need to step away, find something new.

"Ocho Rios"!

• Saying. I liked the first 45". The "PJs" joint was cool just b/c Rae was on it. But after that, you just need to step away, find something new.

This is crazy unnecessary negativity, El Michels Affair is doing their thing and doing it well.

Personally I hope they drop a couple more Wu 45s, that's bringing the element of live instrumentation to people not even interested in that nowadays..

That's a definite step forward, save that negative energy for some of these whack ass rappers.

• did anybody hear the live wu-tang/el michels show that was on XM radio recently? my friend sent me a yousendit link with all the mp3s...probably expired by now though

P.S. - ako, if you ever find this again, or have it in your heart to re-upload, i'd love this...

That's a definite step forward

I think folks like The Roots and the Sugar Hill Records studio band might disagree over this idea.

O-Dubs is like, yo, do your OWN shit!!! (me thinks). Making a career off the nuts of the next group is

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Wait but didn't they already put out an LP of original stuff called "Sounding out the City"? Agreed that they need to be original, but I still think there's a lot to be said for reworking hip-hop classics, and they have the sound to do it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think Kool & the Gang should
    put out an album of EPMD instrumentals

• I think folks like The Roots and the Sugar Hill Records studio band might disagree over this idea.

Are the Sugar Hill Records studio band still making music today?

And to bring up The Roots in this discussion is irrelevant, apples & oranges. You were more on-track comparing The Breakestra w/ El Michels Affair. I don't need to tell you that though.

Regardless, is El Michels making corny music? Absolutely not. Let them do thier thing, they aren't sitting in the studio or on tour sitting w/ a publication you write for talking about "yeah, O-Dub shouldn't be talking about such and such"

I think folks like The Roots and the Sugar Hill Records studio band might disagree over this idea.

And to bring up The Roots in this discussion is irrelevant, apples & oranges. You were more on-track comparing The Breakestra w/ El Michels Affair. I don't need to tell you that though.

Regardless, is El Michels making corny music? Absolutely not. Let them do thier thing, they aren't sitting in the studio or on tour sitting w/ a publication you write for talking about "yeah, O-Dub shouldn't be talking about such and such"

Chill.

Your level of ass-hurtness is peaking.

My point: covering Wu-Tang song after Wu-Tang song is cornball. However, if El Michels is getting paid off this, then more power to them.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    doing some shit that Breakestra was already putting together back in 1998 (albeit, better executed than they would have done back then)?

I think that's the point though, that its better executed than what Breakestra was doing, meaning that its deserving of the attention its getting. I think the shit is knockin' and I dig the 7" format. Its darker and more raw imo than what Breakestra did, although I really liked them too and their live show is still to this day pretty

But doing it for the $? Since when did cutting Wu-Tang cover 7"'s earn you any bread?

doing some shit that Breakestra was already putting together back in 1998 (albeit, better executed than they would have done back then)?

I think that's the point though, that its better executed than what Breakestra was doing, meaning that its deserving of the attention its getting. I think the shit is knockin' and I dig the 7" format. Its darker and more raw imo than what Breakestra did, although I really liked them too and their live show is still to this day pretty

But doing it for the $? Since when did cutting Wu-Tang cover 7"'s earn you any bread?

The 45s sell out relatively quickly (either that or Truth and Soul isn't pressing up a ton of 'em) so I'm assuming this is selling better for them vs. their other material. Regardless, the mere fact that a group is able to competently execute the concept doesn't make it any less pointless as a concept. If it's not to make some extra change then I really don't get what the point of this is, creatively or otherwise.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Regardless, the mere fact that a group is able to competently execute the concept doesn't make it any less pointless as a concept. If it's not to make some extra change then I really don't get what the point of this is, creatively or otherwise.

Right but I don't like the shit just because the group competently executes the concept, but because I think its dope. I think it fits into its own little real schitt niche amongst what is currently available as far as instrumental hip hop funk covers go. I figure that's why these are selling a lotta copies. To each their own though, I guess.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    its a fucking record, who cares

• i doubt this whole thang is much of a money making joint...this last single with Rae was strictly a scion promo release...and knowing how scion feeds, im going to go ahead and say they ain't getting rich off this...

let them do there thing thang...and represent staten island (where they from)

my question is what's next?!

criminology?

• Their cover of "Walk On By" is sweet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Their cover of "Walk On By" is sweet.

I think you mean their cover of Wu Tang's "I Can't Go to Sleep"