good post 1990 jazz

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
not shit with samples or all those electronic thingamajigs, or nu jazz poopoo just jazzone of the lamest fucking covers ever but one tune on here (waterfalls) is japanese dudes that know how to play, like the best moments of pharoah when he was on theresa

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I like this

• i'm liking ino hidefumi's spartacus rendition.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

just try this...saul good. do avoid the "hidden" track tho. shoulda been left off.

• japanese dudes that know how to play, like the best moments of pharoah when he was on theresa

Good call. This is from last year and while it doesn't quite reach the level the Sleepwalker does, there's some fierce playing on it

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Good call. This is from last year and while it doesn't quite reach the level the Sleepwalker does, there's some fierce playing on it

Co-Sign.

Mp3.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Feeling some Leon Parker, Hamid Drake, Danilo Perez, Fred Anderson, William Parker...

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts

Especially "Folklore"

I have been digging the saxophone summit tribute to Coltrane recordings too (Michael Brecker, David Liebman and Joe Lovano w/cecil mcbee on bass and billy hart on drums)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Some people think their sound is too repetitive and jammy, but I think these guys play pretty heavy for a couple of jazzcats. I've seen them live as well and they got some serious tightness going on. You can hear that they have played as a unit together for 15 years now. That's a pretty long time for any band. All three of them got their instruments locked down like Fort Knox.

• awallawall 673 Posts

Especially "Folklore"

I have been digging the saxophone summit tribute to Coltrane recordings too (Michael Brecker, David Liebman and Joe Lovano w/cecil mcbee on bass and billy hart on drums)

yoooooooo Brian Blade is the fucking G on drums. i saw him live and dude had grown women hollerin his name during his 5 minute drum solo, not even joking.
    blade is for real. saw him play with bobby hutchinson and others for this Ornette tribute thing. he made "lonely woman" bang. he's got the "hip drummer" look on lock as well (shades, etc). plus how sweet is his name?! brian fucking BLADE?!?!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    seattle seahawks wide reciever raer no plural

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Some of my picks:

Some people think their sound is too repetitive and jammy, but I think these guys play pretty heavy for a couple of jazzcats. I've seen them live as well and they got some serious tightness going on. You can hear that they have played as a unit together for 15 years now. That's a pretty long time for any band. All three of them got their instruments locked down like Fort Knox.

I agree. I've seen them three times. The last time I seen them I think was in 2001, when they would play each city and have Skerik look for local musicians to play in the horn section. The idea behind each show was that you were entering their "shack" and it felt like you were looking into a jam session. The tour they were on for The Dropper[/b] was sick, where the Karl Denson Tiny Universe opened up. But Medeski surfed his Hammond on that one when I saw MMW in Seattle in 2001 or so.

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Yes, blade is my favorite drummer alive today. I was at that show too! up at the van duzer...
    great band w/josh redman, renee rosnes, brian blade, nicolas payton etc..
    in fact, their CD "SF jazz collective LIVE" is really great.
    Some nice alto work by miguel zenon.

ALSO:
    Kenny Garrett
    Steve Coleman
    Von Freeman
    paul contos

are killing it on the saxophone tip.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    The Bad Plus

The Bad Plus

Are these guys really good, or really bad, because the reviews I've read have been either or.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Cosign on A. Cohen and B. Blade

add

Wm. Parker 4tet: O' Neal's Porch

Masada: Live in Sevilla, 2000

Abdullah Ibrahim: Yarona

• snosno 332 Posts

Dave Douglas - Sanctuary

Masada: Live in Sevilla, 2000

Another good one. With that said, a few more to add:

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Soil & Pimp actually already have 2 albums out.........both are pretty good. Also Sleepwalker has had a bunch of tracks on jpn only compilations like "The Room 10th Anniversary" and Kyoto Jazz Massive's "RE KJM", seek those out.

In a similar vein, try Five Corners Quartet out of Finland I think.......they've put a few 10"s out on the Ricky Tick label.

• That Avishi Cohen is a solid record.

worthwhile listens:

The Vandermark 5 "Burn The Incline"

Faruq Z. Bey w/ Northwoods Improvisers "19 Moons"

Fertile Ground "Spiritual Warfare"

Ahmed Abdullah's Dispersions of the Spirit of Ra "Traveling the Spaceways"

Sex Mob "Solid Sender"

Hakim Jami "Revealing"

SONIC

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

CO-SIGN.
    best vocal jazz album in a looong time. great rendition of Afro-Blue

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Yes, blade is my favorite drummer alive today. I was at that show too! up at the van duzer...
    great band w/josh redman, renee rosnes, brian blade, nicolas payton etc..

oh yeah, I remember seeing you there. the soulstrut universe is seeming smaller and smaller every minute.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

get outta here with that bullshit

iam talking about people that can actually play

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    sorry, i knew i shoulda been more direct:

"still no discussion on this gem?! soulstrut fav right here"

GOTCHA 3RDSTREAM!

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Nothing wrong with yesterday's new quintet.
    It definatly ain't the calibre of musicianship of that brain blade or that brad meldhau, but it's nice nonetheless.

Pharaoh sanders has been putting out quality for a while...ALSO:
    BILL FRISELL
    DON BYRON
    JOHN ZORN
    JOHN MCLAUGHLIN
    and WAYNE SHORTER

have continued to put out good albums into the 90's, among others