good post 1990 jazz

2»

Comments

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Anyone feeling est? (Esbjorn Svensson Trio)

My mate went to see them live and said they were pretty good. I've not heard much that I can recall.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I want to add Joshua Redman to this list.

• Kurt Elling
    Andy Bey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Christian McBride
    Cassandra Wilson
    YNQ Dedication to Irvine

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    Christian McBride
    Cassandra Wilson
    YNQ Dedication to Irvine

one of these^ artists is doing his own thing

Alice Coltrane deserves a Nobel prize in post-1990 jazz for her "Translinear Light". Or at least a Miraculous comeback award- the CD is her chops fully intact after not recording (at least commercially) for like 2 decades.

Christian McBride
    Cassandra Wilson
    YNQ Dedication to Irvine
    one of these^ artists is doing his own thing

The question was Jazz? Right? Limitles examples of the form exist.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

This is quite new, and it's a good listen as well. Anga is the ex-Irakere conguero who was down with Buena Vista Social Club for a minute. There's a great version of "Round Midnight" on here. I was beginning to think that tune had been just about done to death, but he plays the melody on five or six tuned congas and the whole thing sounds pretty fresh. There's a few jazz/hip-hop fusion moments, but on the whole it's more jazz than world music or anything.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    YNQ Dedication to Irvine

Amidst all the YNQ hating, I gotta co-sign on that one. Smoked-out senseless noodling and "free" playing on wood flutes and cheesy synths, na??ve in a good way. "A Piece For Brother Weldon" is especially great. OK, it's baby steps compared to his idol Sun Ra, but I listen to this noise and find it appealing. I can't see what it has to do with Weldon Irvine, though. Seems like a bit of a gimmick.

YNQ Dedication to Irvine

Amidst all the YNQ hating, I gotta co-sign on that one. Smoked-out senseless noodling and "free" playing on wood flutes and cheesy synths, na??ve in a good way. "A Piece For Brother Weldon" is especially great. OK, it's baby steps compared to his idol Sun Ra, but I listen to this noise and find it appealing. I can't see what it has to do with Weldon Irvine, though. Seems like a bit of a gimmick.

Most Ynq albums have a different frontman that leads the set. the leader on that album might play the same instrument that Weldon plays.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    My favorite hidden member of YNQ is the guy on congas, Willie "Molestma" Nuts.

Which album/Ep is he on. That's hilarious.

YNQ Dedication to Irvine

OK, it's baby steps compared to his idol Sun Ra,
    Have you heard the YNQ remix of Nuclear War by SUR RA. its on a remix compilation call Dedication I think.

Which album/Ep is he on. That's hilarious.

None of them. That's a Crut-like pseudonym, right up there with Jergens McFlurry, Jennifer Leather, DJ Tungmaduduho, Wilbur, and P. Willy Mungmung.

• My favorite hidden member of YNQ is the guy on congas, Willie "HangzoverDeez"[/b] Nuts.

I guess you both own the Deacon album.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    YNQ Dedication to Irvine

OK, it's baby steps compared to his idol Sun Ra,
    Have you heard the YNQ remix of Nuclear War by SUR RA. its on a remix compilation call Dedication I think.

By the infamous Big Sur Ra? Yeah, I heard it, it's got Declaime/D.Perkins doing the vocal bit. Good noise from Willie 'Molestma' Nuts and his cohorts.

My favorite hidden member of YNQ is the guy on congas, Willie "HangzoverDeez"[/b] Nuts.

Nah, I like "Molestma" Nuts, because it's demanding that a woman molests his nuts. If Willie hangs over deez nuts, it just hangs. Might collect mold, grow old.

• My favorite hidden member of YNQ is the guy on congas, Willie "HangzoverDeez"[/b] Nuts.

Nah, I like "Molestma" Nuts, because it's demanding that a woman molests his nuts. If Willie hangs over deez nuts, it just hangs. Might collect mold, grow old.

Point taken!