The Game did his thing

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
358,000 scanned! & I still haven't heard it. Jay does over 600k next week.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    358,000 scanned!

& I still haven't heard it. Jay does over 600k next week.

Not bad but that's still pretty low compared to previous years (it does, however, fit into the pattern of lower sales in 2006 for ALL albums).

Game wanted to go gold his first day/week or some crazy shit like that. Yeah dude, whatever.

• if the link doesn't work...

file:///Users/gsulmers/Documents/Microsoft%20User%20Data/Saved%20Attachments/SALES.htm

sales are down, but not bad for someone who's been exiled from G-Unit Island

• 358,000 scanned!

Not bad but that's still pretty low compared to previous years (it does, however, fit into the pattern of lower sales in 2006 for ALL albums).

Game wanted to go gold his first day/week or some crazy shit like that. Yeah dude, whatever.

That's really good. It's going to be tough for anyone to sell 1M a week anymore. I heard that on black friday, one of the mass retailers (wal-mart? best buy?) is reducing JTs album to something like $5.99 for 12 hours or something. That'll be an interesting experiment.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    358,000 scanned!

That's really good. It's going to be tough for anyone to sell 1M a week anymore. I heard that on black friday, one of the mass retailers (wal-mart? best buy?) is reducing JTs album to something like $5.99 for 12 hours or something. That'll be an interesting experiment.

I'm interested in seeing what the result of that would be.

Also I was shocked when I heard that "King" was the only platinum selling rap record this year. Things done changed.

Also I was shocked when I heard that "King" was the only platinum selling rap record this year. Things done changed.

Yeah, right? It's been a pretty bad year all around but especially for rap records. I wonder how far Jay will get.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    358,000 scanned!

He probably did go gold--I think we can infer shipment of at least 500K from first week sales of 358K.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

That's really good. It's going to be tough for anyone to sell 1M a week anymore.
    How many rap albums have done this?

Jay does over 600k next week.

I picked it up at Best Buy on my lunch break yesterday, and I don't think I've seen a retail frenzy like that since GRODT was released.

Then again, this is NY--not sure if the rest of the country is similarly hyped about it.

358,000 scanned!

He probably did go gold--I think we can infer shipment of at least 500K from first week sales of 358K.

The "crazy shit" was that he was on LA radio telling people that we wanted to sell gold the first day. I could have gotten that wrong but I don't think going gold the first week would have been enough of a goal to crow about on Power.

Even though I thought the album was severely flawed I'm glad it's selling well for him (though I highly doubt it'll top "The Documentary")

• Game wanted to go gold his first day/week or some crazy shit like that. Yeah dude, whatever.

i think there was a thread here (or maybe on sohh) about that. I guess Game was on MTV saying he'd quit if he didn't go plat in week 1. Then dude on MTV was like "Wouldn't you be happy with gold?" and Game responded with "Well, maybe 700,00"....

TIME TO QUIT, PAL.

ha.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    delusions of grander grandeur

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    delusions of grander grandeur

The hype machine wasn't as hyped the second time around.

• Jay does over 600k next week.

I picked it up at Best Buy on my lunch break yesterday, and I don't think I've seen a retail frenzy like that since GRODT was released.

Then again, this is NY--not sure if the rest of the country is similarly hyped about it.

I heard that Best Buy had planned to do 100K of Jay's album first week, but based on sales at 8pm last night, they upped their estimate to 200K.

• He probably did go gold--I think we can infer shipment of at least 500K from first week sales of 358K.

he didn't - he only scanned 358,278. that's what was sold. shipping 500K no longer gives you gold staus. Can people not see the soundscan report - that's what the link is. Jim Jones only did 40K??? that's ballin???

he didn't - he only scanned 358,278. that's what was sold. shipping 500K no longer gives you gold staus.

The RIAA has changed their certification criteria? I did not know that.

Jim Jones only did 40K??? that's ballin???

Rucker!

But isn't that 40K Koch numbers? Doesn't that translate to like...400,000 major label units?

• The RIAA has changed their certification criteria? I did not know that.

yeah it was changed a while back.

• But isn't that 40K Koch numbers? Doesn't that translate to like...400,000 major label units?

$6 a record!!!!

But isn't that 40K Koch numbers? Doesn't that translate to like...400,000 major label units?

$6 a record!!!!

I predict we see an interview of Jimmy in the near future crowing about "FIFTEEN DOLLARS A RECORD!"--despite the fact the first month retail was probably only $9.99.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Didn't Chamillionaire go platinum too? Outkast and BEP are platinum but I guess they don't count?

Didn't Chamillionaire go platinum too? Outkast and BEP are platinum but I guess they don't count?

Chamillionaire was not released this year and Outkast hasn't even scanned 500K (BEP, for what it's worth, wasn't released this year, either).

• Jay does over 600k next week.

He's at Virgin on Sunset right now and they have Hollywood BLVD. shut down for Jimmt Kimmel Show. I won't say pandemonium but it's a pretty big deal.

• Game wanted to go gold his first day/week or some crazy shit like that. Yeah dude, whatever.

i think there was a thread here (or maybe on sohh) about that. I guess Game was on MTV saying he'd quit if he didn't go plat in week 1. Then dude on MTV was like "Wouldn't you be happy with gold?" and Game responded with "Well, maybe 700,00"....

TIME TO QUIT, PAL.

ha.

time to quit? making wild predictions or making records? because those are great numbers for the first week. he may want to tone the swagger down, but there's no reason for him to stop making tapes. he's a successful artist. plus say what you will but all that shit talk sells records. only people on this board would refuse to buy a dude's tape on principle because he was bragging about how major his sales will be. most of the dumb ass country eats that shit up. and buys the record.

TIME TO QUIT, PAL.

ha.

time to quit? making wild predictions or making records? because those are great numbers for the first week. he may want to tone the swagger down, but there's no reason for him to stop making tapes. he's a successful artist. plus say what you will but all that shit talk sells records. only people on this board would refuse to buy a dude's tape on principle because he was bragging about how major his sales will be.

Getting ass-hurt on behalf of The Game. "Nice!"

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Holmes ....your avatar

TIME TO QUIT, PAL.

ha.

time to quit? making wild predictions or making records? because those are great numbers for the first week. he may want to tone the swagger down, but there's no reason for him to stop making tapes. he's a successful artist. plus say what you will but all that shit talk sells records. only people on this board would refuse to buy a dude's tape on principle because he was bragging about how major his sales will be.

Getting ass-hurt on behalf of The Game. "Nice!"

don't front you know I am right. joe public loves the over-the-top braggadocio. I didn't buy the album, but many, many people did.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    edpowers: shiiiiiiiet.... violating, straight up and down

fauxrillz: what's the deal with Outkast getting a RIAA platinum award (shipped units) and you saying that is hasn't scanned 500K? That's a lot of unsold record even if you count the mom-and-pop stores