"Yo Jay, where Primo at?"

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Marley Marl, calling into the Ed Lover show, to talk to Jay-Zhttp://www.spinemagazine.com/music/november/edlover/jayz.mp3MM: "Where the Primo tracks at, kid?JZ: "Just Blaze is the new Primo to me. I love Primo but that's who I got the chemistry with right now. Why you no send me no tracks?"*laughter*Ed Lover: "How about you and Tim?"JZ: "He's in another zone right now. We went into the studio...I wasn't ready. He's got a different sound right now. There just wasn't a connection on there."

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

i couldnt picture jay-z on one of these new style timbo clubber joints anyway.

• the intro to the extended interlude of justins my love, sounds like some jay shit all day.
    as if tim aint got no shit lying around from the past 5 years ?! jay should have took some of the shit he passed on from the last lp.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    the intro to the extended interlude of justins my love, sounds like some jay shit all day.
    as if tim aint got no shit lying around from the past 5 years ?! jay should have took some of the shit he passed on from the last lp.

Seriously.

I want to know what happened behind-the-scenes.

• I am actually kind of happy about this. Jay-Z seems a little one dimensional with those comments. Taking the unchallenged easy road out- timberland's shit right now would kill with some really thought out eloquent jay-z vocals- is that an oxymoron? i heart marley marl for bringin it though. that is pretty funny.

• so.... premier hasn't been on a jay-z album in years. when he was it was only a couple joints anyway.

• "Yo, Hov, man... I kinda like Kingdom Come but I KNOW you can come betta than that!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    speaking of my love, TI says some shit before his verse like "all right jay-z it's time to get it." now, i heard the leaked version and i thought jay was going to be on it or if he wasnt that they would edit it out. shits like that on the retail version. anyone know why?

ha ha haha...

yeah, Marley was really saying, "Jay - your shit is wack! Step your game up!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    speaking of my love, TI says some shit before his verse like "all right jay-z it's time to get it." now, i heard the leaked version and i thought jay was going to be on it or if he wasnt that they would edit it out. shits like that on the retail version. anyone know why?

"Alright JT[/b]..."

JT = Justin Timberlake

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you dont know how stupid i feel right now
    i never heard anyone call him jt before but i aint really in touch with that kind of stuff i guess

• you dont know how stupid i feel right now
    i never heard anyone call him jt before but i aint really in touch with that kind of stuff i guess

get your friends count up

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

• Does the beat on The Prelude remind anyone of the credits music on the Wire? meaning just the string part when he first starts rhyming

• ha ha haha...

yeah, Marley was really saying, "Jay - your shit is wack! Step your game up!"

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    so.... premier hasn't been on a jay-z album in years. when he was it was only a couple joints anyway.

They got into a fight years ago because Jay Z wanted a sing a long chorus and primo only wanted a scratched chorus on a song. Jay told him he was through and would never work with him ever again and hasn't since.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

They got into a fight years ago because Jay Z wanted a sing a long chorus and primo only wanted a scratched chorus on a song. Jay told him he was through and would never work with him ever again and hasn't since.

I remember also, after Nas dropped "Ether", Primo was quoted at Justo's mixtape awards as saying something along the lines of " He did his thing, he ate him up."..which seemed alittle, er, undiplomatic to say the least.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Sure, Sure...

30 is the new 20? Just Blaze is the new primo?.... I guess B-money is the new timbo? Or mabye Scyience?

Marley Marl calling the radio to say your shit is wack, Almost getting out rapped by jim jones (BRRRROOOOOOKKKLLYYYNN), ether made me stronger?

Jay Stay losing these days. I think he confused.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Mid life crisis.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

• Sure, Sure...

30 is the new 20? Just Blaze is the new primo?.... I guess B-money is the new timbo? Or mabye Scyience?

Marley Marl calling the radio to say your shit is wack, Almost getting out rapped by jim jones (BRRRROOOOOOKKKLLYYYNN), ether made me stronger?

You really think that? Jay needs some better A&Ring, but he's still spitting like nobody else.

How is Jay losing when his album will sell more at Best Buy in one day than Jim Jones will sell the entire life of his record in every store in every city in every country.

He's winning on a level that's unheard of, so maybe you're right he's confused.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Sure, Sure...

You really think that? Jay needs some better A&Ring, but he's still spitting like nobody else.

How is Jay losing when his album will sell more at Best Buy in one day than Jim Jones will sell the entire life of his record in every store in every city in every country.

Sure, Jay's still sharp skill-wise, but part of what made him exceptional all around was his ability to start/ foresee trends, create or tap into unexpolited markets, and adapt to the times. At least for Hov, to use political rhetoric, he's a bit "out of touch". He seems to have misread the climate today if he thought this album would be deserving of the title "Kingdom Come".

It's a little simple, but I'm at least partly buying the mid-life crisis line. I mean, 30 isn't the new 20, just cause Jay-Z is in his thirties. He's trying to sell it and cats aren't buyin it.

• Sure, Sure...

Sure, Jay's still sharp skill-wise, but part of what made him exceptional all around was his ability to start/ foresee trends, create or tap into unexpolited markets, and adapt to the times. At least for Hov, to use political rhetoric, he's a bit "out of touch". He seems to have misread the climate today if he thought this album would be deserving of the title "Kingdom Come".

It's a little simple, but I'm at least partly buying the mid-life crisis line. I mean, 30 isn't the new 20, just cause Jay-Z is in his thirties. He's trying to sell it and cats aren't buyin it.

Yeah, he needs an ear-man now that Dame and Biggs are gone. Or maybe he's just been in exec mode too long or his butter's spread too thin. (I just got the album yesterday, and I like it, but there are definitely few hit-you-over-the-head-immediately bangers...Hope it will get better with age like an opus one) If I'd bet on anyone to shake off that rust, though, it would be Jay.

The two things I will argue are that

1)Cats are buying it, as are Dogs. Turtles, llamas, and blue footed boobies too. His album will almost assuredly be the #1 selling first week of any hip hop record out this year, and that's in a large part because he's appealing to non-cats.

2) As a 30-something year old, I can tell you, definitively, that 30 is the new 20!

• so.... premier hasn't been on a jay-z album in years. when he was it was only a couple joints anyway.

hadn't heard that one d....

• Sure, Sure...

also, white is the new black... again.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, somebody PLEASE try and tell me that Jim Jones is not 30.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Cats are buying it, as are Dogs. Turtles, llamas, and blue footed boobies too. His album will almost assuredly be the #1 selling first week of any hip hop record out this year, and that's in a large part because he's appealing to non-cats.

He's further beyond the accepted hip-hop demographic than before is why that is. Because him & B have got that "Urban Music's #1 Power Couple" thing on lock, Jay is now reaching "household name" status, and a new album by him isn't just an "event record" in hip-hop circles anymore.

I have to say that the record's grown on me a little. I don't see myself playing it as much as "Blueprint", "The Dynasty" or "Reasonable Doubt", which are his true classics for me, but I'm not mad at it. I'm not surprised at the generally favourable press it's receiving either.

Cats are buying it, as are Dogs. Turtles, llamas, and blue footed boobies too. His album will almost assuredly be the #1 selling first week of any hip hop record out this year, and that's in a large part because he's appealing to non-cats.

He's further beyond the accepted hip-hop demographic than before is why that is. Because him & B have got that "Urban Music's #1 Power Couple" thing on lock, Jay is now reaching "household name" status, and a new album by him isn't just an "event record" in hip-hop circles anymore.

I have to say that the record's grown on me a little. I don't see myself playing it as much as "Blueprint", "The Dynasty" or "Reasonable Doubt", which are his true classics for me, but I'm not mad at it. I'm not surprised at the generally favourable press it's receiving either.

You should double check the stats - I think you're going to find that this new album is getting low marks all the over the place: NY Times, LA Times, Wash Post, NPR and others. I'm curious what XXL will give it.