Soulstrut Glossary: "You Sound White"

13»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hey,

EVERYTIME I've gone on an interview with employers with whom I've never met (say, through an internal colleague), I have gotten the "shiver" (shocked, oh he's Black look of surprised from White company/university representatives). After that reaction, they stutter a bit and THEN introduce themselves. I guess they expect Black folks to sound like Buckwheat, even those with doctoral degrees. I was told by a representative from Wright State University (via telephone, she had met me at a conference) that I was the right color. Then, she caught herself and apologized. I was so shocked, I had one of those "Dave Chappelle moments" when he spoke about encountering such unabashed racism, that you're too shocked to react.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

supreme on this

when i meet people for bursaries or stuff for my project...

my dad has been a victim of jobrelated discrimination all his life (even at the human rights office )

and I have been readying for it when i enter the job market

I am hoping to become a college professor so I am going for that PHD...
    And actually hope that some of these schools will start to integrate more
    looking at the african studies depts of my univeristy is cringe worthy

• discussing the definition of "you sound white" makes you sound white.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I love stories that start like this...

Or today when I was in court.

But, yes, slightly disturbing when they end like this...

What if I grabbed the bai;iffs gun and started shooting.

As long as you can keep on repressing that stuff, or at least laugh it off as a product of seeing too many action movies or something. Like Ghostface shootin' his way out of Applebees: Crazy thoughts not actions.

Like I'm going to take advice from a stranger on the internet. LOL.

I got it under control. Everyone has a dark side. Being aware of it helps one correct and control it, IMO.

Dude, don't worry. I'm not too far off. I almost snapped this bitch's neck at work today. Why? Going on and on and on about when she was at a restaurant where some kid was crying the whole time. What's worse some kid crying or some old lady yapping for 20 minutes about it? People need to shut the fuck up sometimes. Maybe then, no one will "sound" white because it will be silent.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I love stories that start like this...

Or today when I was in court.

But, yes, slightly disturbing when they end like this...

What if I grabbed the bai;iffs gun and started shooting.

As long as you can keep on repressing that stuff, or at least laugh it off as a product of seeing too many action movies or something. Like Ghostface shootin' his way out of Applebees: Crazy thoughts not actions.

Like I'm going to take advice from a stranger on the internet. LOL.

I got it under control. Everyone has a dark side. Being aware of it helps one correct and control it, IMO.

Dude, don't worry. I'm not too far off. I almost snapped this bitch's neck at work today. Why? Going on and on and on about when she was at a restaurant where some kid was crying the whole time. What's worse some kid crying or some old lady yapping for 20 minutes about it? People need to shut the fuck up sometimes. Maybe then, no one will "sound" white because it will be silent.

You didn't write this, did you?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    lets make this about me,

do I sound Jewish?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

OK, what about this one. How is this a blemish?

I'm a man of my word and I've run a business in that manner for 20 years. I discriminate againt what I perceive as ignorance and stupidity.

I guess because he believes Islam is ignorant & stupid.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

OK, what about this one. How is this a blemish?

I'm a man of my word and I've run a business in that manner for 20 years. I discriminate againt what I perceive as ignorance and stupidity.

I guess because he believes Islam is ignorant & stupid.

Like I said...I judge actions.....and at least in my lifetime, the actions of people performed "in the name of Islam" makes me look unfavorably upon it.

If half a million people were killed by folks using Bozo The Clown as their dogma I'd probably dislike Bozo too......but of course not the actor that PLAYS Bozo, just the murderous dogma he spawned.

And god forbid if the Bozo actor was a racist...then your 5 page prediction would triple!!

How about the actions of people "in the name of Christianity?"

• How about the actions of people "in the name of Christianity?"

Y'all dawgz are gonna go there, huh?

The Bozo thing was pretty funny tho.

And since only white people say it, the very act of stating this makes you sound white. What a conundrum.

So foul, man. You just can't stop.

I may have missed something but I haven't yet seen a 'white' dude type that phrase, excepting you I suppose... remember what they say about assumptions...

This is what you missed.....within the first ten posts I read this....

I'm hoping someone comes here and actually explains what it means.

Its something you'll only ever hear white people say .[/b]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

When my friend and I re-issued the Del Jones LP we both had spoke on the phone to Del a few times and then got the chance to meet him in person when he was on a speaking tour.

His first response, in obvious shock was "You guys are WHITE!!??"

I assumed it was because he didn't think white folks would be into his music, or possibly because we didn't "sound white" on the phone.

By no means was I offended and after spending some time with him I found out he's one of the best cats around.

People have pre-conceived notions on just about everything.

It doesn't make them bad people, it makes them human.

But to use these notions as a weapon or a tool to hurt people.....is what makes humans deplorable..

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, in the last 48 years there have been no Americans killed by Christians following a Christian dogma as their roadmap to murder??

What did I miss??

And if you want, you can throw in any worldwide numbers that were actually approved by and/or sanctioned by any recognized leader of any branch of Christianity.

• As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, in the last 48 years there have been no Americans killed by Christians following a Christian dogma as their roadmap to murder??

What did I miss??

http://cgi.cnn.com/US/9801/29/bombing.update/

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

You didn't write this, did you?

Naw. That dude is way long-winded. Plus, I don't live in L.A.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, in the last 48 years there have been no Americans killed by Christians following a Christian dogma as their roadmap to murder??

What did I miss??

And if you want, you can throw in any worldwide numbers that were actually approved by and/or sanctioned by any recognized leader of any branch of Christianity.

Isn't Bush Christian?

Isn't Bush Christian?

I'm not sure - I don't think he's ever mentioned it