Soulstrut Glossary: "You Sound White"

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The next time you type a post, I want you to wear a sailor hat. Like the Skipper on giligan's island. Why? I think you'll understand once you try it. It really makes a difference.

Knowledge Plopped.

I'll do it if it helps me conform to the SS way....

Okay....I admit it...it's not my hat....I borrowed it.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• Why are y'all getting on Rich? That's a valid question. Typing "you sound white" is some real stupid shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I am SO not going to say it...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If Rock posts in the woods and no one is there to hear him, does he still sound white?

That was funnier in my head.

Why are y'all getting on Rich? That's a valid question. Typing "you sound white" is some real stupid shit.

Sabadaba withdrawal symptoms......no problem here.

• [color:white] the problem is you all come from a white background so you can't see the obvious [/color]

• I am SO not going to say it...

And it would be funny if you or someone else did. But then how are these discussions ever gonna evolve?

Actually though, after re-reading this thread after posting my slice of stupidity, I think O-Dub actually answered the question, answered it well and give me some things to think about my personal experience.

[color:white] the problem is you all come from a white background so you can't see the obvious [/color]

Actually, all jokes aside now, I think I've been guilty of that on quite a few occasions. I'll admit it, sometimes I just need shit explained to me before I can understand it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Exactly.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    [color:white] the problem is you all come from a white background so you can't see the obvious [/color]

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    "Dude, have you seen American Beauty. Sooo good."

There yo go. definitive. period.

uggggggggghhhhhhh....... I'm whiter than white and I HATED that movie.

"You obviously don't like Rap Music."

Instant WHITE.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

uggggggggghhhhhhh....... I'm whiter than white and I HATED that movie.

"You obviously don't like Rap Music."

Instant WHITE.

What's whiter than white?

American Beauty. Damn!

(To be candid, I enjoyed this film. So I mock myself. One must if they are white and live in this society and have a shred of conciousness with regard to history and its socioeconomic impacts.)

• The strut likes to examine every blemish in the world.....except it's own

You go first.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    You go first.

I think you just did...sums up everything I might have had to say in three words.

The strut likes to examine every blemish in the world.....except it's own

You go first.

I'm a disconnected, somewhat overweight white guy with a bad addiction to music.

I probably fit into the "Old dude with the Hawaiian shirt who grips all the classic rock" SS stereotype, although I do my best to piss off the local diggers and suck in some of that MarcoFunk cash.

When I was younger I was an idealist with what could only be defined as "liberal" ideals, hitchiked around the country for a year and became very opinionated by my experiences.

I've lived in the Inner City and in the Country. I try to treat all the people I meet with the same respect they pay me.

I'm a man of my word and I've run a business in that manner for 20 years. I discriminate againt what I perceive as ignorance and stupidity.

I'm not bashful and won't say anything on-line or behind your back that I wouldn't say to your face.

I think people should earn respect, and I only trust people after they have proven to be trustworthy.

My looks scare off most people and it's not uncommon to see old lady's cross the street when they see me coming or storekeepers to watch me with an evil eye.

I've never used the "N" word and judge people by their actions, not by their race, creed or color.

So there you have a brief overview of my blemishes.

Fat, ugly, opinionated and disconnected middle aged white guy who trusts virtually no one and has a big mouth.

• I've never used the "N" word and judge people by their actions, not by their race, creed or color.

You call that a blemish?

I'm not technically white, but I get mistaken for white by non-whites. Most white people don't think I'm white. Funny, huh?

Is that a blemish?

I repress racist, homophobic, and sexist thoughts all the time. They aren't thoughts I condone, just a form of mental tarrets. Like when you walk behind an old lady ans think, "What if I smashed her head in, type thought." Or today when I was in court. What if I grabbed the bai;iffs gun and started shooting. total non reality, but disturbing , and a blemish, nonetheless.

I have predudice towards the police, over all, but choose to decide on a case by case basis. That's discrimination.

Like when you walk behind an old lady ans think, "What if I smashed her head in, type thought."

ummm... I'm not sure thats exactly normal....

Like when you walk behind an old lady ans think, "What if I smashed her head in, type thought."

But it's definitely a blemish

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I love stories that start like this...

Or today when I was in court.

But, yes, slightly disturbing when they end like this...

What if I grabbed the bai;iffs gun and started shooting.

As long as you can keep on repressing that stuff, or at least laugh it off as a product of seeing too many action movies or something. Like Ghostface shootin' his way out of Applebees: Crazy thoughts not actions.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The strut likes to examine every blemish in the world.....except it's own.

Ok, Rock, you and I know this is flat untrue. There has rarely been a forum more self-obssessed with both it's virtues and vices. Don't tell me you haven't been privvy to a "State-of-the-Strut-I'm-never-posting-again-and-here's-why-don't-ask-me-to-stay-because-I-have-had-it-with-this-place" thread!

Other than that, sorry if I sound White, sorry if I sound Black....I never meant to mislead anyone.

• Like when you walk behind an old lady ans think, "What if I smashed her head in, type thought."

But it's definitely a blemish

I already said that.

OK, what about this one. How is this a blemish?

I'm a man of my word and I've run a business in that manner for 20 years. I discriminate againt what I perceive as ignorance and stupidity.

• I love stories that start like this...

Or today when I was in court.

But, yes, slightly disturbing when they end like this...

What if I grabbed the bai;iffs gun and started shooting.

As long as you can keep on repressing that stuff, or at least laugh it off as a product of seeing too many action movies or something. Like Ghostface shootin' his way out of Applebees: Crazy thoughts not actions.

Like I'm going to take advice from a stranger on the internet. LOL.

I got it under control. Everyone has a dark side. Being aware of it helps one correct and control it, IMO.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I got it under control. Everyone has a dark side. Being aware of it helps one correct and control it, IMO.

i am sayin

i dont want to sound crazy but i understand exactly what you mean...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Apparently, I sound white as well.

The following was written about my radio review of Jay-Z's new album:

"I know this statement is not going to be politically correct......but why in the world is this white man trying to review this album?"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    And since only white people say it, the very act of stating this makes you sound white. What a conundrum.

So foul, man. You just can't stop.

I may have missed something but I haven't yet seen a 'white' dude type that phrase, excepting you I suppose... remember what they say about assumptions...

• My question is, how do you hear typed words?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

EVERYTIME I've gone on an interview with employers with whom I've never met (say, through an internal colleague), I have gotten the "shiver" (shocked, oh he's Black look of surprised from White company/university representatives). After that reaction, they stutter a bit and THEN introduce themselves. I guess they expect Black folks to sound like Buckwheat, even those with doctoral degrees. I was told by a representative from Wright State University (via telephone, she had met me at a conference) that I was the right color. Then, she caught herself and apologized. I was so shocked, I had one of those "Dave Chappelle moments" when he spoke about encountering such unabashed racism, that you're too shocked to react.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• My question is, how do you hear typed words?

It's a good question.

Many of the veteran Soulstrutters used to have a serious problem
    with Typing Black.[/b]

My one-man campaign against keyboard ebonics, an influx of new
    mystery-race posters and the ultra-blackenization of dirty south
    influenced modern rapp has all but eradicated the problem, no more
    of these white boys typing all "Yo, yo" and intentional tense distress,
    participle disagreement and k-s s-k / x reversals.

So it's funny to me, now that Typing Black has ceased to be a problem,
    Typing White is on the rise.