Ever find a raer record in your own house?

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I just noticed a record sitting on our couch in the living room....an OG of this record on Vee Jayhttp://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4794992738granted, it's not as clean as the one on popsike, but I would say at least a strong VG, plus it has a back cover printed upside down!Anyways, I called my wife (who is out shopping for Thanksgiving stuff) and ask her what's up with the jazz record on the couch."I found it in a suitcase today." Huh?Weird. It must have come out of a big collection I got last MLK Day, and that suitcase must have been one that we used to haul some of the records down from the apt of the gentleman who had died (a friend of mine's cousin passed and they were splitting up the stuff, she asked if anyone wanted the records and when they said no, she called me to come get them before they tossed them, God bless her). But how I missed one of the relatively few that were in nice shape and an artist I love....I can't figure that out.Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Comments

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Yea I found Flame N King & The Bold Ones - Ho Happy Day, it was at the bottom of a pile of reject 45s that I got from a contents sale like 4 months which I had lying on the floor . I was doing a final sort through to see which ones to dump at the goodwill and threw it on, must have skipped over it because I woouldn't have put it in the rejects if I had of listened to it first. It was a plesent surprise.

• Peacefulrotation called me a while back on some, "Hey, I found a copy of 'Light of Saba'!"

I said, "Damn, where?"

"Um...in my house."

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I wish I had, but nah. Only found rares in relatives houses.

Went to this old family friend's house last year. Took me downstairs and said I could pick anything out of this crate he was throwing out. Amongst car wash and Creative Source LPs I pulled the self-titled Beginning of the End LP.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    My friend found a coverless copy of Freddie Terrell & The Soul Expedition that he had no recollection of purchasing in his record room.

Next Up: Fake Finds in Your Own Home

• My friend found a coverless copy of Freddie Terrell & The Soul Expedition that he had no recollection of purchasing in his record room.

Next Up: Fake Finds in Your Own Home

What about Fake Friends and their sleavless records?

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    How about finding your raers in your friends house

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I wish I had, but nah. Only found rares in relatives houses.

Went to this old family friend's house last year. Took me downstairs and said I could pick anything out of this crate he was throwing out. Amongst car wash and Creative Source LPs I pulled the self-titled Beginning of the End LP.

When I first saw it, I was really hoping that the explanation was that maybe my mother-in-law had brought it home from a client's house(she does in-home elderly hospice care and has had people give her records before). Oh well!

Your story reminds me of when we were helping a friend of the family move her sister out of DC and back to Trinidad. Both these ladies were old and had records, but it was almost all Andy Williams, Liberace and Firestone Christmas LPs. Wedged in there amongst all that turdery was this, pretty much unplayed

I was kinda shocked but happy. I don't think any of them knew how they had aquired it1

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

which is raer-er, pre-sex change Switched On(WALTER) or post-sex change Switched On(WENDY) ??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had that experience with the Magnum LP. I was combing through a stack of records on my bedroom floor and it was in a pile and I could not, for the life of me, remember when and where I got it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I've found a few dope records in my parents collections, my mom randomly had a few LPs on Skye Records (Gary McFarland's short-lived label) and my dad had some records that could be collectors items if the fucking cats didn't scratch up the sides of the covers. Nothing too crazy though.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• Hell Yeah,

I found an OG "Black Cesar" OST in the record shelve of my pops...
    prolly one of the most uncommon records to have in germany during the 70s (Schlager galore)?! But is in great minty condition :-)

SC

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I found a mint copy of this at my old job during an office move. It was in a pile of records that had seemingly sat, forgotten, behind a filing cabinet for years.

Dunno if it's super-rare - these guys seem to think so. Either way, there's some great stuff on there, and it didn't cost me a penny.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I recently found the "Blade - the lion goes from strength to strength 2LP" in the basement of my parent??s house. I have no idea how it ended up there.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hell Yeah,

I found an OG "Black Cesar" OST in the record shelve of my pops...
    prolly one of the most uncommon records to have in germany during the 70s (Schlager galore)?! But is in great minty condition :-)

SC

James Brown was very popular in germany althrough the 70s. didn't most releases get pressed up in quantity by german polydor? i remember my dad buying me a JB live music cassette when I was around 8. too bad it somehow got lost. around the same time, my uncle gave me JBs Reality LP for my birthday, not his finest record but what the heck, it was '75.

and to add to the topic, i found the "snake in the grass" budget LP and a Tanzorchester Hugo Strasser with a funky big band version of Paranoid in my fathers collection.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the only funky record my father owned:

snagged when i was 13 or 14...

• About two weeks before I moved into my new house and I needed all the cash I could scramble up I ran into one of these, a record I had forgot owning and did not know the value of:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=270028078010

I auctioned it right away, the money came through just in time to make the whole house buying experience just a little more comfortable. The funny thing is I remembered that I had a few more copies around that I to this day can't find.

Peace,
    SONIC

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    heres a few I found in my attic!

i inherited quite a few dope ones from my mom/dad

theres lots more that i cannot recall right now but that gives an idea (i love google images)!