System of a Down / Mezerize

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    i havent heard alot of their stuff. But at least they have an original sound right? Does everyone in here hate them?

Q: System of A Down

A:

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    c'mon, like People under the stairs is alot better! Whats with calling everyone who likes this idiots?

I think the ability to take a band like thats lyrics, music, and image seriously speaks for itself. I mean, really.

Kinda like Parliament, right?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    i havent heard alot of their stuff. But at least they have an original sound right? Does everyone in here hate them?

Q: System of A Down

A:

• wow, so much hatred. then again, show me a collective of internet forum regulars who actually LIKE a band who's multi-platnium and have a fair amount of younger fans? seemingly, hatred for artists grow with their success. i guarantee that if i had asked what people thought of system of a down before they reached a certain point of success, the opinions of metal fans on here would be quite different.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    i guarantee that if i had asked what people thought of system of a down before they reached a certain point of success, the opinions of metal fans on here would be quite different.

i think your wrong on this

how many dudes on here have been to an ozzfest?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I mostly agree with you, but I do appreciate the fact that they are getting heavy MTV rotation and they are bascially screaming at impressionable young people the phrase "why do the presidents start the wars and why do they always send the poor?!" Its probably better than havig them just get Lil' John yelling at them all day about Pimp Juice and skeet!

• Siro Gragner, why don't we get some beers and we can rock out
    to Mezmerize somewheres else. Many of these hatters aren't even
    metal fans to begin with.

I think it is fine that soulrez kicked the guys ass though, I mean
    they touched his girl.

Just for the sake of making things more interesting, what if you heard
    some beardo was touching your girl and you went over there on some
    calculated rage, but then you bust in and it's Rick Rubin your girl
    is with.

Now things would get real interesting.

Do you respect Rick Rubin more than you respect your girl?

Are you afraid of Rick Rubin?

Would your man's code of honor determine that you kick his ass
    anyway?

Pussies For Metal, United

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Its probably better than havig them just get Lil' John yelling at them all day about Pimp Juice and skeet!

What are you, uptight or something?

Well..I never!!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I like SOAD's message. But I've thought they were corny ever since the first time I heard them. The music is completely generic post-Korn riffage but with the added bonus of utterly laughable vocals.

- DJ "listening to Trouble, Motorhead, Metallica, Sleep, Corrosion of Conformity, Siege, Sacrilege, Discharge, Saint Vitus, Cathedral, Kreator, Slayer, King Diamond, and even Lil Jon but no, no System of A Down in NC" Marco

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

I like SOAD's message. But I've thought they were corny ever since the first time I heard them. The music is completely generic post-Korn riffage but with the added bonus of utterly laughable vocals.

I agree. This band really entertains me to no end. They are really kind of weird (not private-press psych raer, so dont everybody jump on me at once). I find it strange that they ARE so popular. I mean, it was like when Primus started having #1 albums back 10 years ago. WTF was THAT about? Music that is so obviously NOT of the standard Pop Fare that makes it THAT big is always fascinating to me. What do the lil' stoner dudes see in SOAD? I dont know. But at least its not Creed or some shit like that.

• I like SOAD's message. But I've thought they were corny ever since the first time I heard them. The music is completely generic post-Korn riffage but with the added bonus of utterly laughable vocals.

I agree. This band really entertains me to no end. They are really kind of weird (not private-press psych raer, so dont everybody jump on me at once). I find it strange that they ARE so popular. I mean, it was like when Primus started having #1 albums back 10 years ago. WTF was THAT about? Music that is so obviously NOT of the standard Pop Fare that makes it THAT big is always fascinating to me. What do the lil' stoner dudes see in SOAD? I dont know. But at least its not Creed or some shit like that.

I dont think you get it man. Its lame. Its trite. Its just a watered down sort of thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with their popularity AT ALL. Hell, I love Lamb Of God / and a hand full of newer metal joints that can easily be found on mtv or heard on a local Rock station near you. (Their drummer is fucking insane by the way). Its just that, THAT is metal. Them dudes are sincere (at least by my determination). S.O.A.D. just seem like some tools, who prolly arent even all that UP on the genre they play under.

And their lyrics and look make me wanna blow up a middle school.

Dude. Who amongst us can claim to know what "true" Metal is? Only our dark overlord can truley know what is, indeed, "true" Metal. And SOAD is really funny and weird. The dude sings like I would sing as a joke, but I think he actually means it! I know not of alot of todays metal music, as I havent been into it serioulsy, since like 1988. But SOAD just makes me lasugh. Maybe Lambs of God would, too. They sound kind of scary though. In a King Diamond sort of way.

• yall need to keep it real

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I was just discussing King Diamond with a coworker the other day. Truly, who else has so finely honed the art of metal concept album fully realized with his very own masterpiece Abigail?

Plus he wears a top hat.

• Happy to say I've never heard a System of a Down song before, and I hope to keep it that way. Fuck all that new metal bullshit.

Mad Corny.

• I was just discussing King Diamond with a coworker the other day. Truly, who else has so finely honed the art of metal concept album fully realized with his very own masterpiece Abigail?

Plus he wears a top hat.

King Diamond is the shit. Good drinking music. But even he couldn't have come up with the best metal song name:

SODOMYTHICAL FROSTGOATS

Its by some band from Hong Kong. I've had people who listen to good stuff in general tell me they like System of a Down or Slipknot or some shit, and I don't really know what to say. I don't find it objectionable, just uninspired and predictable. Whatever.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    linkin part shits all over system of a down

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I could give a fuck about SOAD, but y'all are a bunch of haters! I think it's hilarious you can all say some shit about "I've never heard them, and I'm glad, because THEY SUCK!" Whatever. Not liking something ain't the same as hating on it. The best thing is that the same dudes who will say SOAD suck cause they're lyrics are garbage and only 15 year olds and glue huffers like them, will start a thread claiming the Ying Yang Twins to be musical revolutionaries cause they whisper "yo bitch, you ain't never seen a dick like this..."

Gotta love SS.

The only thing I agree with fully in this thread is that I am happier to know that 15 year olds are listening to songs about how shady the government is, and how the US prison system is a highly profitable corporation making money off the bogus sentencing of millions of impoverished citizens, than Rob Thomas and Gwen Stefani doing a duet cover of "Cool Places" by Sparks. I think it's pretty fucking cool that music with this sort of message is popular and common. You guys take this shit for granted, cause in the eighties when I was 15, you had to go underground to find that shit, and the radio and MTV were full of vacuous pap.

PS:

following the properties to this image led me to some pretty funny shit, like this nice "price chart" of drugs:

Looks like the cops are selling dope!

I love how they break down mary jane into "commercial" and "Sinsemilla!"

Jeah!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Actually, I think a bunch of us have heard stuff from them and came to the conclusion that they sucked. See, they're played on this thing called the radio and sometimes even on this television station called MTV and a few of us happen to have heard them through those outlets. As much as I like to hate on things without ever hearing them, I have heard them and they do indeed suck.

As far as the whole political thing goes, the only thing that breeds is a bunch of brainwashed idiots who wear Che shirts and believe in anarchy until their trust fund gets cut off and then for once in their life they actually have to do something meaningful.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Actually, I think a bunch of us have heard stuff from them and came to the conclusion that they sucked. See, they're played on this thing called the radio and sometimes even on this television station called MTV and a few of us happen to have heard them through those outlets. As much as I like to hate on things without ever hearing them, I have heard them and they do indeed suck.

As far as the whole political thing goes, the only thing that breeds is a bunch of brainwashed idiots who wear Che shirts and believe in anarchy until their trust fund gets cut off and then for once in their life they actually have to do something meaningful.

I mean, this makes for good comedy, the whole Che shirts thing and all, but it still doesn't devalue my point, which is that music like this being popular is IMO better than every song being about how johnny broke judy's heart, or more likely these days, about how nice chrome rims look on an expensive car.

And, obviously, my comment about people hating on them without hearing them was directed towards the people who actually said that, of which there were a few. Look, I don't think anybody "should" like ANYTHING. I just think dudes on message boards are funny how they just use total hyperbole and catch-phrase comedy routines to dismiss shit they don't actually have enough interest in to take seriously.

I don't own the new SOAD album. I think I got a free promo of the last one, and played it a couple of times, it was ok, but not my cup o tea. I'm not even defending them - just, read this thread, and see how people really like to talk with their heads up their asses.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    c'mon, like People under the stairs is alot better! Whats with calling everyone who likes this idiots?

C'mon, B, your position is untenable...

hot damn! I think I wandered right into a new metal debate!!!

I dont even know what untenable means. Is that lawyer speak? can you clarify for a recording arts major?

• I could give a fuck about SOAD, but y'all are a bunch of haters! I think it's hilarious you can all say some shit about "I've never heard them, and I'm glad, because THEY SUCK!"

It was an easy conclusion to reach. When I talk to people, and ask them what they are into... They'll often start listing off bands. In a verbal list of 3 bands... If over 2/3rds of the list is garbage, I can rest assured that there is no need to check out anything else on the list I haven't heard.

Anyhow, I prolly have heard them, I was exagerating a bit. I guess I shoulda said, I don't know any of their songs, or I couldn't name any of their songs.

I'm actually pretty sure I've heard them in my friends car, and he listens to complete shit. Whenever we go anywhere, I usually offer to drive (even though the stereo is broke in my car), because silence is better than Jimmy Eat World, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Green Day (sorry, some of the old stuff ain't bad, but I just ain't feeling the new shit at all), Coldplay, the occasional R. Kelly.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure he's played System of a Down, and judging from the other garbage I hear in his car, I probably didn't like it at all.

• Happy to say I've never heard a System of a Down song before, and I hope to keep it that way. Fuck all that new metal bullshit.

Mad Corny.
    wow. so you'll just go ahead and judge something without even giving it a chance? what a mindset.

• people really think they sound like korn? wow, y'all are really convincing me that you really aren't very familiar with their music.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    people really think they sound like korn? wow, y'all are really convincing me that you really aren't very familiar with their music.
    I think people are comparing the sounds because they both sound like shit.

Mad Corny.
    wow. so you'll just go ahead and judge something without even giving it a chance? what a mindset.

Read my above post sucker, and I explain a bit more.

Anyhow, I am just not feeling anything "nu metal". What I don't understand is how people who have dug for records, or listened to and been exposed to good quality shit, could still like trite commercial garbage? By saying trite commercial garbage, I ain't necessarily talking about System of a Down, I'm more referring to my friend I mention above... He will often surprise me, and know something I play when I DJ, something old or funky... And then I can't figure out how he could listen to so much garbage.

Peace...
    FNM

• people really think they sound like korn? wow, y'all are really convincing me that you really aren't very familiar with their music.
    I think people are comparing the sounds because they both sound like SHIT.

HELL YES.

• By saying trite commercial garbage, I ain't necessarily talking about System of a Down, I'm more referring to my friend I mention above...

the fact that you assume system of a down is similar to other bands who are popular, further proves the fact that you're judging music without even listening to it. popularity isn't a genre, genius.

and going back to this:

I've never heard a System of a Down song before
    then why are you even responding to this thread with an opinion?