Common & Gap (oooof!)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central

In the worst way...Holiday in the hood by conscious rapper Common senseWow i mean he wears a tie with a hood'ie and rhymes 'its a celebration like dave chapizell, kissing under the missel'CorporateChristmasKufi rap by a man I used to respect peace love and gap... fucking seriously....

Comments

• Awesome. What's not to like?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF? That is REALLY bad.

This is the only dope Gap commercial I have ever seen......

Rob Swift & Shortkut

• T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF? That is REALLY bad.

Rob Swift & Shortkut

I HEART SHANNYN SOSSAMON.

(Despite the fact she named her son Audio Science or some crazy shit like that.)

Herm

P.S. I'm not THAT mad at the Common commercial.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    you guys see that christmas themed commercial that has lateef singing in it? i forgot what business it was but it's getting run all over the place.

and that new zune commercials has the homie dibbs in it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

She breaks all my anti-hipster girl stances.

• T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF? That is REALLY bad.

Rob Swift & Shortkut

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

WTF? That is REALLY bad.

Rob Swift & Shortkut

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

(Despite the fact she named her son Audio Science or some crazy shit like that.)

Herm

P.S. I'm not THAT mad at the Common commercial.

Wow! Who is shannyn sossamon? She's insane.

But the ad is shit. It's almost as corny as the DJ's a god movie. DJs in ads =

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It's a celebration like Dave Chapizell/kissing under the missell

I can't wait until Young Phonics tries to defend this schitt, having previously been an apologist for both Common and the Gap.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

WTF? That is REALLY bad.

Stop hating, and Peace, Love, and Gap.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Gap, along with 17 other U.S. clothing retailers, is currently the subject of three lawsuits filed in Jan 1999 challenging the unlawful sweatshop conditions in the Saipan, CNMI garment industry. Saipan is an island in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), which has US territorial status, similar to Puerto Rico. Saipan factories are not subject to many U.S. labor laws, including the federal minimum wage, yet U.S. manufacturers with factories in Saipan are able to bypass duties and quotas imposed on imported goods. According to the lawsuit, the wholesale value of the garments produced for Gap in Saipan and shipped to the U.S. during the 4 years prior to the suit was $237.3 million, more than twice as much as any of the other retailers sued.

translation : they are using childs "legally"...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

She breaks all my anti-hipster girl stances.

Haha! F'real... I watched Rules of Attraction recently and thought the same thing

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've been a big fan of common. his music has been literally an inspiration in some ways to me.
    which is why i find it a huge letdown for him to be pimpin' for the gap -- which as pointed out, has such a track record with labor issues.
    think about 'on the corner' magnified X 1000 for the people in slave labor. the struggles 'on the corner' don't sound quite so harsh. at least some good times can be found on the corner. it's doubtful in the slave labor factory shops.

so--run dmc, whomever else did gap ads before isn't much a shocker. they did songs about sneakers. they were fun. i like it. but i thought common was different --equating gap with holiday cheer is not so cool in my book.

• I just keep thinking about how jaded we are now.
    I mean, if something even remotely like this came out in the early 80's people would be going absolutely bananas over it, simply because hip hop got no dap like that (aside from the occasional Fruity Pebbles advert).
    It was a nice little playful rhyme. Nice flow.
    I hear worse shit on the radio.
    I dunno. I kinda likeded it.

which lead me to think that ALL these "activist rappers" are really never following their own words...Jeru, where ya at???!!!

There's nothing wrong with getting a check, nothing wrong with using hip-hop to sell products even, as long as it benefits to real headz.
    The problem here is about a dude that PREACH. Run DMC never preached really. So again, i'm thinking that certain words was just for the sake of rhyming after all. Why doing a song about childrens being the center of life and then endorsing child users?? wow. I didn't know he was that money hungry. If Chingy did it, i wouldnt mind either. but dude is "cultivated" as opposed to Chingy. So i held him accountable.

• do you guys have any idea how the garment industry works or is the gap just your cause of the month?

My girlfriend worked for the Gap in product development for years, visiting many of the factories in southeast asia in the process.

There are certainly sweatshop-like conditions in some factories. But to think that Gap - or any other chain retailer - is some kind of demonic company that intentionally knits its clothes on the backs of dead babies for profit is pretty far from reality.

The reality is that there are tons of factories littering the third world (not just Asia) and the struggle to keep them up to standard is a tough one. The domestic companies like Gap Inc and others actually want the factories stay above standard. It is bad for business when they are not. Whenever a factory is perceived to be below standard they are cut loose and a replacement is found. It's not a perfect system but there you have it. They don't manage the factories however and much of the time the factory is owned by an entirely different company - the retailer just sources fabric from there. The people who run the factories are not always company employees and sometimes are really brutal enforcers hired by local businesspeople to keep the workers in line.

The factory jobs are sometimes the best paying in the entire area - does that make the wage morally defensible or the overall capitalist arrangement "right"? I don't know, but dissing Common cause he shills for The Gap is a pretty lame way to go about changing these things.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'we ruthless, like will before black eyed peas'

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i hate it when people call artists sell outs just because they're helping advertise for a big corporation when i'm sure most of us would do the same. it's about money, yeah, but it's also about exposure and to be recognized as a cultural influence like that and asked to use your music as a marketing tool i think is one of the greatest compliments an artist could get. prefuse, lyrics born, atmosphere, and the countless others who've lent their music to advertising i think have a lot of artistic integrity, and just because they're getting large sums of money doesn't make them bad people.

i'm not a huge fan of common's new spot, but i didn't loose any respect for dude because of it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I love that people are mad at common for doing the commercial because of the whole gap labor issue shit and not cause its fuckin totally corny!

Actually i think commons whole target audience probably shops the gap these days. I cant wait to see his new cd featured at starbucks.

• I love that people are mad at common for doing the commercial because of the whole gap labor issue shit and not cause its fuckin totally corny!

Actually i think commons whole target audience probably shops the gap these days. I cant wait to see his new cd featured at starbucks.

• *rolling eyes in disgust* He should of done a liquor ad instead. Fucking soft-ass bitch!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    you guys see that christmas themed commercial that has lateef singing in it? i forgot what business it was but it's getting run all over the place.

I just saw this last night. They keep flipping back and forth between some Christmas tune and that song "Wonderful Night" Lateef did with Fatboy Slim.

• I HEART SHANNYN SOSSAMON.

She reinforces all my anti hipster girl/actor/celebrity DJ stances.

i hate it when people call artists sell outs just because they're helping advertise for a big corporation when i'm sure most of us would do the same. it's about money, yeah, but it's also about exposure and to be recognized as a cultural influence like that and asked to use your music as a marketing tool i think is one of the greatest compliments an artist could get. prefuse, lyrics born, atmosphere, and the countless others who've lent their music to advertising i think have a lot of artistic integrity, and just because they're getting large sums of money doesn't make them bad people.

i'm not a huge fan of common's new spot, but i didn't loose any respect for dude because of it.

Come on man, saying "peace love and the gap" is straight up prostituting yourself. There is no dignity in that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

someone please just tell me what this means!?!

She reinforces all my anti hipster girl/actor/celebrity DJ stances.

That commercial is definitely on some next level corniness, even to the point of being embarrassing. Still, she's beautiful and that makes up for hipster stances. Is she a celebrity DJ? Someone spare me a google search.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Come on man, saying "peace love and the gap" is straight up prostituting yourself. There is no dignity in that.

So if you were an artist, how much would Gap have to pay you to say "Peace, Love, and Gap"?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    do you guys have any idea how the garment industry works or is the gap just your cause of the month?

My girlfriend worked for the Gap in product development for years, visiting many of the factories in southeast asia in the process.

There are certainly sweatshop-like conditions in some factories. But to think that Gap - or any other chain retailer - is some kind of demonic company that intentionally knits its clothes on the backs of dead babies for profit is pretty far from reality.

The reality is that there are tons of factories littering the third world (not just Asia) and the struggle to keep them up to standard is a tough one. The domestic companies like Gap Inc and others actually want the factories stay above standard. It is bad for business when they are not. Whenever a factory is perceived to be below standard they are cut loose and a replacement is found. It's not a perfect system but there you have it. They don't manage the factories however and much of the time the factory is owned by an entirely different company - the retailer just sources fabric from there. The people who run the factories are not always company employees and sometimes are really brutal enforcers hired by local businesspeople to keep the workers in line.

The factory jobs are sometimes the best paying in the entire area - does that make the wage morally defensible or the overall capitalist arrangement "right"? I don't know, but dissing Common cause he shills for The Gap is a pretty lame way to go about changing these things.

I agree with you..the business of garment is just that....

Its really bad when you look at all those skatebrands started in the 70-80s in california...my how things changed from those little shops to dc shoes intl, and vans

in any case
    my hate came from the corniness and secondly

just common sense (no pun intended) common seemingly seemed as a conscious citizen ...in his position i would simply refuse it cant be that much about the money
    positive rapper with good public opinion ...ok but the gaps market doesnt all know who he is or are they aiming for specifically that..basically they could have done without him and he without them (not that much $)so why do this...especially in this superbely wack way..i am not talking about a movie with a cocacola product placement

peace love and gap

iam sayin

put this against any of his last albums lyrics (the dilla track comes to mind) and its

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

someone please just tell me what this means!?!

Com got 'plex 'phors?