Stereo Question

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I noticed this evening that I'm getting very little sound out of my left speaker.At first I assumed the left channel of my amp--which I've had for nearly 15 years--was burnt out, but then I discovered that the left speaker functions at full volume, so apparently the problem is something to do with my turntable.Stereo dudes, what do I do (I just have a 1200--nothing fancy)?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I noticed this evening that I'm getting very little sound out of my left speaker.

At first I assumed the left channel of my amp--which I've had for nearly 15 years--was burnt out, but then I discovered that the left speaker functions at full volume, so apparently the problem is something to do with my turntable.

Stereo dudes, what do I do (I just have a 1200--nothing fancy)?

what kind of mixer do you have?

I've had a similar issue as well and I think I have the issue pinpointed down to the aging mixer I got

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    this happened to me and it was my stylus.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I need to fix my equipment too. I get absolutely no sound. Is there anything besides the stylus that could be the reason for malfunctions? like the cables or something?

• this happened to me and it was my stylus.

same here - i find myself getting a new needle every year when i notice the left speaker gettin quieter

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I noticed this evening that I'm getting very little sound out of my left speaker.

At first I assumed the left channel of my amp--which I've had for nearly 15 years--was burnt out, but then I discovered that the left speaker functions at full volume, so apparently the problem is something to do with my turntable.

Stereo dudes, what do I do (I just have a 1200--nothing fancy)?

what kind of mixer do you have?

I've had a similar issue as well and I think I have the issue pinpointed down to the aging mixer I got

I don't have one.

same here - i find myself getting a new needle every year when i notice the left speaker gettin quieter

The needle, huh? Might be time for a new one, although I think this one is only around six month old.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Indeed, check your stylus. Happened to me too and it was also the left channel?? Weird.

The needle, huh? Might be time for a new one, although I think this one is only around six month old.

yeah, when this happened to me my needle/cartridge wasn't real old either. But, sure 'nuff that was it. Perhaps some sort of damage can do this?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    check the connections at the cartridge. Where all the wires connect give it a little jiggle. The needle should not be bad at all only after 6 months. Also check your cables.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    if your using a 1200, clean where the headshell attaches to the tonearm, those 4 contacts. Deoxit and a q-tip work well....

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Check the last two suggestions out before investing in a new needle. I had the same problem and after cleaning the contacts and making sure all the wires were connected, it played fine.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    if your using a 1200, clean where the headshell attaches to the tonearm, those 4 contacts. Deoxit and a q-tip work well....

Yeah, I'd say faulty headshell connection is a very likely reason for the left channel fallout. This happens all the time when I'm playing out on random 1200s, and the problem is almost always solved by releasing the headshell, cleaning the contacts, and reattaching it.

Thanks, dudes.

• Try cleaning you needle too.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Yeah, I'd say faulty headshell connection is a very likely reason for the left channel fallout. This happens all the time when I'm playing out on random 1200s, and the problem is almost always solved by releasing the headshell, cleaning the contacts, and reattaching it.

Not reccomended by stereo guys, but I always just unscrew the cartridge, give the connection part a little lick (seriously) and then screw it back in -- always works. I have 1200s too.

• if your using a 1200, clean where the headshell attaches to the tonearm, those 4 contacts. Deoxit and a q-tip work well....

handy tip i learned from dj homies:

You can use a regular pencil eraser, stick it in the hole where the headshell connects to the tone arm and twist it a little bit. I don't know why that works but it does.

From remixmag.com:

"If you swap headshells or store your equipment in a humid environment, you should also frequently clean the contact points in the headshell and tonearm where they screw together. The best tool I have found for cleaning them is a regular pencil eraser. Simply press it against the contacts, twist a few times, and voil??! So fresh, so clean."

• um, dude...

you don't have a mixer?

So how exactly do you practice those "fly juggle routines" you were telling me about?

um, dude...

you don't have a mixer?

So how exactly do you practice those "fly juggle routines" you were telling me about?

I thought the turntable pyrotechnics talk was strictly between me and you.

Consider that the last time I let you into my mindgarden.

But for real, what would I need a mixer for?

I have no aspirations as a DJ--if anything I was thinking about getting a more audiophile-oriented turntable.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Interesting how some do things.

Nobody out there do the headshell contact rub on a zipper trick? Works most times for me.

• Nobody out there do the headshell contact rub on a zipper trick?

I'm picturing a DJ doing this in front of a club full of people. Oof!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I actually clean/synchronize/repair 1200's for a few clubs and dj's around my area (for a fee...blatant plug, San Diego people: PM) The detoxit pen is hands-down, the best product out there, and can be all yours for the grand total of $4 at Radio Shack. That thing is incredible, and when I do basic work on 1200's or any mixer, I use it to clean EVERY connection. The difference is amazing. Do NOT lick the headshell connection... If you've ever cleaned out a headshell socket on a turntable that many people have used, and seen the crap that falls out of there, you will never lick a headshell again.

if anything I was thinking about getting a more audiophile-oriented turntable.

This is the grown man thing to do. You'll be happy.