old school street games...

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
Bloody Murder
Hot Peas and Butter (come get your supper!!)
Run Catch and Kiss
Seven Minutes of Heaven
Ringolevio 1-2-3
Freeze Tag
and of course, Scully Tops (aka "Loadies" or "Deadbox")

I know some of you gotta have some stories.

Comments

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bloody Murder
    Hot Peas and Butter (come get your supper!!)
    Run Catch and Kiss
    Seven Minutes of Heaven
    Ringolevio 1-2-3
    Freeze Tag
    and of course, Scully Tops (aka "Loadies" or "Deadbox").

We had a local game here in the Bronx in my co-op called Tap-Tap which was a version of kick the can.
    Hours of fun!!!

ManHunt 123 - two teams of like 20 dudes each!!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i know someone played wall ball/off the wall/whatever they call it now.

Kids used to go home w/ tennis ball-sized welts on their backs.

• I posted a freeze tag vs flashlight tag post a while back that got .

Street games are the shit, but with every kid having video games I really don't see kids playing like this anymore. At least not in my neighborhood.

• Seven Minutes of Heaven

you guys played this in the street?

Street games are the shit, but with every kid having video games I really don't see kids playing like this anymore. At least not in my neighborhood.

Yeah that DIY Little Rascals/Fat Albert shit is slowing dying in my immediate hood. But the time I got to college, the kids didnt play the games I played in the 70/80s. If shit doesnt get passed down to the next gen + Nintendo/Super Nintendo was powerful then. As a kid we played Atari and played street games. My 13 year old neighbor is an X-Box slob. Whatever - Cant hate on these kids - it is what it is.

• Street games are the shit, but with every kid having video games I really don't see kids playing like this anymore. At least not in my neighborhood.

Yeah that DIY Little Rascals/Fat Albert shit is slowing dying in my immediate hood. But the time I got to college, the kids didnt play the games I played in the 70/80s. If shit doesnt get passed down to the next gen + Nintendo/Super Nintendo was powerful then. As a kid we played Atari and played street games. My 13 year old neighbor is an X-Box slob. Whatever - Cant hate on these kids - it is what it is.

Yeah, I understand it. If my folks had the money for video games I never would have left the house. The sad thing is how fat kids are getting. They need to go outside and run around every once and a while.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Stoop Ball
    Buck-Buck
    Stick Ball(Both in the street and one on one against a brick wall with the strike zone colored in with chalk)

Asses Up Hand Ball(If you have to ask you don't want to know)

• Stick Ball(Both in the street and one on one against a brick wall with the strike zone colored in with chalk)

What about half ball? That was the shit.

• Paul Nice you gots HERO Status doggie!!!

Butts UP!
    3 Flys Up
    Pickle
    Throw Ball
    Peg
    Ditch
    Dirt Clawd Fighting
    Sockball and SOKBall

AH The Dayz of Yesteryear!!!

• How about four square, smear the queer, and 500?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    How about four square, smear the queer

Kick the Can was definitely a favorite as well. And when my friends and I learned how to fold a piece of paper into a throwing star, we created this elaborate game about bike-riding ninjas. That was ridiculously fun.

Stick Ball(Both in the street and one on one against a brick wall with the strike zone colored in with chalk)

We would take a wiffle ball bat and fill it w/ wet newspaper to give it some weight. The ball was either the pink spalding/hard spalding/blue classic. My boy and I would wake up to plat at 8:00 am and play 9 innings against each other.
    The strike zone was a spray painted box on the wall that the older cats made in the early 70's. We would replenish the box erry summer. Street baseball was my first mo fuckan sport for real.
    I had an article on certain hand postions for certain pitches. I fuckin mastered the slider and was killin my homie w/ that and my split finger fastball. Then I moved on to the sinker.Maaaaaann dont get me started.

We would take a wiffle ball bat and fill it w/ wet newspaper to give it some weight. The ball was either the pink spalding/hard spalding/blue classic. My boy and I would wake up to plat at 8:00 am and play 9 innings against each other.
    The strike zone was a spray painted box on the wall that the older cats made in the early 70's. We would replenish the box erry summer. Street baseball was my first mo fuckan sport for real.
    I had an article on certain hand postions for certain pitches. I fuckin mastered the slider and was killin my homie w/ that and my split finger fastball. Then I moved on to the sinker.Maaaaaann dont get me started.

Me and my buddy Jamesy used to play against the wall at PS-203 in Brooklyn....Pennsy Pinky ball or Spalding......over the fence was a triple.....on the roof of the Brownstone behind the fence was a Home Run.

We played every day and at noon we had a standing 2 on 2 game against two NYC Garbage Men on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Me and my buddy Jamesy used to play against the wall at PS-203 in Brooklyn....Pennsy Pinky ball or Spalding......over the fence was a triple.....on the roof of the Brownstone behind the fence was a Home Run.

We played every day and at noon we had a standing 2 on 2 game against two NYC Garbage Men on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

That that shit. Our buildings had brown brick up to 15 feet.White brick on up to the terraces. White brick was a home rum. Bigeer kids would hit the terraces from the first florr to the 4/5. Real cats could go from 5 up to 10. The record was like the mo fuckin 18th floor. One day I watched a game from my 7th fllor and caught a home run one handed!!! Dont get me started. We had 2 or 3 girls who could bang out home runs as well....Dina/Bonnie/Vicki. "Yo - I got Vicki on my team!!!!"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

was this like cops and robbers?

we used to do that shit with fake bags of coke and interogations. If you caught a robber you got to take them back to your base and "interagate" them with sticks and punches for 2 minutes. If they didn't snitch yo'd have to let them go and they were immune for 2 minutes

we used to do that shit with fake bags of coke and interogations. If you caught a robber you got to take them back to your base and "interagate" them with sticks and punches for 2 minutes. If they didn't snitch yo'd have to let them go and they were immune for 2 minutes

Close w/out the drugs.

One team would stay at the base. The other team would run out(count to 200). The base team would go out and hunt the hiding team. U had to leave a couple of cats at base just in case a handful of "imprisoned/caught" would try to be freed by team 2. Shit would go on for hours. Cats would hide for a long as time. Sometimes One dude would be left and was responsible for freeing his team. Money would come out of no where and try to charge/shake/jook 15-20 cats. If he made it to the base and tag the team would run out w/ the base team tryin to hold the slow cats.
    Dont get me started. Shit was bananas. Some cats would go upstairs and go eat and then come back outside like they were on some slick shit for an hour.

• i know someone played wall ball/off the wall/whatever they call it now.

Kids used to go home w/ tennis ball-sized welts on their backs.

We used to call this Suicide.

Who else grabbed their first pair of titties playing Murder In The Dark?

Herm

• deablock was my shit in grade school! i used to go to this afterschool program with linoleum floors and we would play that shit compulsively, but with wood blocks (instead of bottlecaps) it probably took less skill, but we all got real precise with that shit. kick the can, capture the flag, red light green light, mother may i, freeze tag, TV tag, brittish bulldog and a lot of king of the mountain...

mostly what we played in my neighborhood was running bases, stoop ball and suicide. we played suicide and chink (wall ball) all the way through high school. suicide was the illest....they probably call it different shit in other cities though.

i started teaching a lot of old games and new games to different youth program coordinators for a while. i was running workshops and getting paid $75 an hour to teach adults how to get excited about this stuff. youd see peoples faces light up when we would start playing games that they remembered from their youth. its worth checking at thrift stores, yard sales and used book stores for old street games and hippy game books.i was collecting them for a while

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Close w/out the drugs.

One team would stay at the base. The other team would run out(count to 200). The base team would go out and hunt the hiding team. U had to leave a couple of cats at base just in case a handful of "imprisoned/caught" would try to be freed by team 2. Shit would go on for hours. Cats would hide for a long as time. Sometimes One dude would be left and was responsible for freeing his team. Money would come out of no where and try to charge/shake/jook 15-20 cats. If he made it to the base and tag the team would run out w/ the base team tryin to hold the slow cats.
    Dont get me started. Shit was bananas. Some cats would go upstairs and go eat and then come back outside like they were on some slick shit for an hour.

hide in go seek w/ teams?

this has a different name in every neighborhood...

in boston, we called in Relievio...

edit: i recently read Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha, about growing up in Dublin in the 1960's, and they called it Relievio as well...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    We used to play a game called Hot Tail all of the time. One person hides a belt somewhere in the backyard of a house with no fences around it while everyone else waits in the front. Once the belt is hidden everyone else comes around back to find it. The person who hid it lets people know if they are hot or cold. Once someone finds the belt, they can whip anyone with it until they reach homebase which was usually the front porch. The person who found the belt then gets to hide it for the next round. It was an awesome game that we never seemed to get bored of...

• Chase: played by anywhere from five to twenty kids, usually played at night. You'd pick a block and a home base (usually one of the kids' front porch). Whoever was "it" would sit and close their eyes for five minutes. Then they had to go out and find the other kids--they had to touch them and then they were added to the "it" group and would go out and find more kids. Eventually you'd have one kid left with everyone else looking for him. Could go on for hours. You had free reign of the whole block to hide--porches, pools, under cars, whatever.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Ringolevio

We used to have massive weekend long sessions of this, with kids from kindergarten up into the younger High Schoolers taking part. This was in the late 70's, I don't think you would ever see something like that now. These PS3 kids don't know what they're missing.

• Options

EVERY day after school, at least 15 kids playing this game. I never see kids playing it today, then again I don't really hang out at schoolyards.

We used to load wiffle bats too! Duct tape around the bat, or cut the bottom and load it with nails or marbles, anything that would rush to the "barrel" when you swung.

Now I play softball with a bunch of over 30 year olds. Next year I might play over 30 soccer. Leisure kings stand up!!!

Not really a street game, but did anyone ever have bottle rocket and roman candle fights around July 4th when you were a kid? Schoolyard looked like Baghdad, kids running around with burnholes in one of the 5 or 6 shirts they had on.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    what about Corners in an elevator?

EVERY day after school, at least 15 kids playing this game. I never see kids playing it today, then again I don't really hang out at schoolyards.

People would probably sue over that shit today....

• here's some games we would play in elementary. some of them extended into the later years, some didn't. perhaps you had the same shit, but different name.

MAN OR MOUSE: kids would battle it out, mind-over-matter / torture style. one kid continually scratches / rubs his opponents back hand with a gum eraser or fingernail, until the kid gives up. this would result in a big bloody gash that could potentially leave scars.

OPEN CHEST: the kid without his chest protected with hand or arm, gets slugged in the chest (must yell "OPEN CHEST" when punching). 2 for flinching.

SPONDULI: a pinky shake brings you into the game where if you're holding ANYTHING in your hand and your opponent snatches it from you, yelling, "SPONDULI!," they get to keep it.

MAKING EACH OTHER PASS OUT: takes atleast 2 kids. the passer-outer squats down with back against the wall, takes 10 deep breaths. on the tenth breath, stands up fast and holds breath in. other kid pushes on their chest wedging them against the wall until they pass out. then kid should catch the passer-outer. kid would remain unconcsious for a good 20 seconds or so. sometimes we would do doubles, with 2 teams having people make people pass out.

ROOSTER FIGHTING: a few of the kids in my class were into cock fighting (see: roosters). we would have two kids go at it, with markers in hands (replicating blades), trying to hit their opponent. this would go 3 rounds. at the end of each round, someone would tally up the number of hits on each kid.

• We would take a wiffle ball bat and fill it w/ wet newspaper to give it some weight.

We used to load wiffle bats too! Duct tape around the bat, or cut the bottom and load it with nails or marbles, anything that would rush to the "barrel" when you swung.

Whoa, you guys had nice techniques! We'd play baseball, but we broke too many windows, so we starting playing wiffle ball, but the ball would always crack. Then we went to playing with plastic bats and a tennis ball, but the bat would just flatten out. Finally, we cut the end off the bat, dropped in a broomstick cut to length, and used a tennis ball. It was perfect.

Other rule changes:

First base was an air conditioning unit. If you fielded a grounder, you could hit the AC with the ball for a "force out." It really helped in games of one-on-one ("Ghost man on first!").

This rule evolved to include throwing the tennis AT THE RUNNER for an out. Running full speed ahead towards an AC unit + watching the pitcher to see if his throw was gonna nail me = the scar on my right knee.

And re: Pickle: we called this game "hot box" and would play for hours.

We also played Human Carnival. One of my friends had an old BB gun that wouldn't really break the skin, so we'd take turns being the duck. You'd set up about 15 or 20 away and the duck had to run back and forth. The best part: if you hit him, he had to change directions.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This thread is dope.

Being from England I don't fully understand someof what you're all talking about, but I sure we played simlr games here too.

a few

Donkey, Wanker, Cunt, horse (or whatever word you felt appropriate)
    - sure you have a similar point scoring system, but this was played buy taking it in turns to kick a football(soccer) against a wall, the aim being to make it as hard as possible for the next person to hit the wall.

Kirby
    - involved bouncing a tennis ball off the opposite kirb. And other elaborate rules which I've forgotten.

Kiss chase (also had various other names)
    - played when very young (chase a girl, catch a girl, kiss a girl)

British bulldog
    - involved lining up in two teams, one team linked arms, the other had to break through and get to the other side of the playground.

Bundle
    - not really a game but, if someone shouts this, when another person is lying on the ground, everybody (mainly boys) would them perform wresterling stlye leaps on to said person, until there's is a large pile of bodies quashing the bottom person to death.

Shit there's a load more, but I'm too drunken to recall about now.