old school street games...

2»

Comments

• loving this one...nice paul...haha..

kick the can (a personal fav)
    leggo handrail racing (we built cars which fit around handrails....you had to make it to the end of the rail...or it didn't count...and whoever did it fastest won...much funner than it sounds
    battle (tennis rackets and a shitload of balls)
    chicken fights
    garage b-ball (with tupperwear hoop!)

• We used to play a game called Hot Tail all of the time. One person hides a belt somewhere in the backyard of a house with no fences around it while everyone else waits in the front. Once the belt is hidden everyone else comes around back to find it. The person who hid it lets people know if they are hot or cold. Once someone finds the belt, they can whip anyone with it until they reach homebase which was usually the front porch. The person who found the belt then gets to hide it for the next round. It was an awesome game that we never seemed to get bored of...

That's what we called "Hot Peas and Butter" out here.
    When the belt was found you say "Hot Peas and Butter - Come get your supper!!" and then it was off to the races!
    Upon reflection, I gotta admit it was a fucked up game (though EASILY the most exhilarating and exciting game of my childhood).
    But I think for a lot of the kids, the lure was the opportunity to become the whipper for once as opposed to the whippie.

• so many of these games need to be kept alive at all costs. herm, thats crazy yall caled it suicide in arizona. i would light you up though. headhunting and shit

running bases is so simple and fun. two bases with two basemen. they throw any kind of ball back and forth while all the runners try to steal from one base to the other.

everybodys it: everyone in a defined space scrambles as they count off together "3,2,1,EVERYBODYS IT" then if anyone tags you, you sit. you tag anyone, they sit. argue, you both sit. the game is over in 90 seconds and everyone gets crazy tired out.

then theres vampire tag, antelope in the net, giants/wizards/elves,crows and cranes, blob, etc

anyone seen this competetive rock/paper/scissor thing thats been jumping off in bars? kinda weird. me and cardova went ot one and he was in the finals, playing for all the beer.

• anyone seen this competetive rock/paper/scissor thing thats been jumping off in bars? kinda weird. me and cardova went ot one and he was in the finals, playing for all the beer.

Don't know it this is the same thing, but we used to play a drinking-game variation of rock, paper, scissors called "3 The Hard Way".
    Basically, you'd play at a set tempo (fast) and the person who loses gets slapped in the face by the winner.
    But you don't stop. You keep playing at a fast rate.
    It becomes so frenzied that a player on a winning streak or a roll might actually lose a round but because your playing so fast, you often slap your opponent again by mistake!!
    And when drinks are in the mix it gets even better.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    [quoteNot really a street game, but did anyone ever have bottle rocket and roman candle fights around July 4th when you were a kid? Schoolyard looked like Baghdad, kids running around with burnholes in one of the 5 or 6 shirts they had on.
    Yes. In the schoolyard we'd have 2 teams w/ a gang of fireworks(goodoledayz)-
    Bottlerockets/1 brick of fire crackers/jumpinjax/M-80s/blockbusters. We would smoke cigarette to light the fuses faster than matches and lighters. BOOM Bang boom!!!!!!!! Throwin a pack of Jumpin jacks really had cats scatterin!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what about Corners in an elevator?

Try that shit w/ 8 cats. I got stuck in my elevator doin that shit.

• anyone seen this competetive rock/paper/scissor thing thats been jumping off in bars? kinda weird. me and cardova went ot one and he was in the finals, playing for all the beer.

Don't know it this is the same thing, but we used to play a drinking-game variation of rock, paper, scissors called "3 The Hard Way".
    Basically, you'd play at a set tempo (fast) and the person who loses gets slapped in the face by the winner.
    But you don't stop. You keep playing at a fast rate.
    It becomes so frenzied that a player on a winning streak or a roll might actually lose a round but because your playing so fast, you often slap your opponent again by mistake!!
    And when drinks are in the mix it gets even better.

thats the most potown game i ever heard! goddddam

• oh shit...
    having crazy flashbacks.
    stickball for sure. broom handle and tennis ball. neighbor's house was a home run of course
    wall ball
    hand ball
    man hunt
    sardines
    and i cannot believe someone mentioned this one! -- we never had a name for it but its where you scratch the back of your opponents hand with an eraser of fingernail until they sumbit. shit was fucking rugged but it seemed like such fun at the time. used to play that one in class trying REAL hard to keep the stone grill.
    variation was simply slapping the back of the opponents hand--but that one seemed to be reserved for the bus. an even rougher version involved using the plastic inserts found in shinguards. you would lick it, pull it back, and let it snap onto your oppenents hand.

• yo!!! what about fighting with sporks to see who could crack the shit out of the other persons spork first?????? there were a lot of dope lunchroom games

• oh yeah, forgot about playing thumps. we also played this variation where, with one hand, you hold your thumb and index finger together, then press your the middle finger on the index finger and snapping it down (instead of outwards, like a regular thump). the object was to attack with the fingernail, scratching / slicing / cutting up your opponents knuckles. shit would get bluddy, son.

• rastarasta 27 Posts
    Not really a game but..
    GLEEKing: When you curl up your tongue and press it to the top of your mouth and a stream of spit "gleeks" out. This one cat could gleek like six feet across the lunch table.

Army: Played with 5-10 on a team. Dress up in camo, pick teams, go out in seperate parts of the woods, build a base, find a stick resembling a gun, hunt down the other team. Capture their base. With the "ththththththththth" sound for a machine gun and everything. Sometimes you would pick up a big log and it was a bazooka. "I got you"
    "No you didn't, I was behind that tree." We played a long time. Sometimes we even dug foxholes and bunkers that were like head deep.

• Not really a game but..
    GLEEKing: When you curl up your tongue and press it to the top of your mouth and a stream of spit "gleeks" out. This one cat could gleek like six feet across the lunch table.

my girl hates that I can do this....that would be the "blow gleek" variation...in which you are able to project for over 4-5feet...god, we used to have fun doing that back in the day....(ever make some stranger think it was going to rain? haha...)

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    ...we played suicide and chink (wall ball) all the way through high school. suicide was the illest...

We had a version called homocide were you would punch instead of having to throw the ball...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i know someone played wall ball/off the wall/whatever they call it now.

Kids used to go home w/ tennis ball-sized welts on their backs.

We used to call this Suicide.

We called it suicide in montreal, too. Its amazing how these games got around. Never thought people in other cities & countries had the same ish.

• i know someone played wall ball/off the wall/whatever they call it now.

Kids used to go home w/ tennis ball-sized welts on their backs.

We used to call this Suicide.

We called it suicide in montreal, too. Its amazing how these games got around. Never thought people in other cities & countries had the same ish.

Did anybody else clown people with the fictional Pancho's Giveaway?

"Daaaaaaamn...where'd you get them busted ass shoes?! Pancho's Giveaway?"

For the longest time I thought it was a real place. We have a Pancho Villa statue downtown and I figured there was some sort of Goodwill/donation center set up there. Of course, as I grew older I realized it was some good ol' fashioned shit talking.

Fast forward some 20 odd years and I'm making fun of Murs' asking him if he got something he was wearing at Pancho's Giveaway and he says "Oh shit! You guys had that here, too? (Tucson) I thought it was just an L.A. thing!"

Trip out, hoLmes...

Herm

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Back when I was about 13-14 we used to go out on the street at dusk and one person would stand on each side of the street and make believe we were holding a rope. As a car approached we would act like we were holding the rope tightly and we would try to get the driver to stop their car.....big laughs.

But then one day the lunatic kid of the neighborhood(we all had one of those, right??)got a bright idea. His folks had just bought a new TV set and the box with all the styrofoam was out for the trash. He took a gallon of gasoline and soaked all the styrofoam in it, basically making Napalm.

When it got dark he then spread this sticky mixture across the street in about a 3 inch thick line. We sent one kid down the block to watch for cars and he yelled that one was on it's way. Just as the car turned the corner Naplam Boy set the gel on fire.

Whoooosh....a 2-3 foot wall of flames danced across the entire street. The older guy driving the car slammed on his breaks and got out screaming that he was gonna call the Cops and started heading to a house to use their phone. We're all laughing our asses off except for Napalm Boy who is in a panic and begins to try to stomp out the fire so he won't get in trouble.

Problem is that all the fiery gel does is stick to his sneakers, still on fire. As he's running down the street trying to stomp his feet from burning up, now even cranky old Driver guy is laughing his ass off and forgets about calling the Cops.

This is the same Lunatic kid that invented his own version of "King Of The Hill". The difference with his game was the guy on the top of the hill of dirt got to wield an Axe!!!!!

• We played Manhunt pretty much every summer night in my neighborhood. There was this one kid who would always come out in full ninja gear with his face painted black and make it his goal to scare the crap out out of everyone, regardless of what team they were on.

Maybe it's more of a girl thing but handclapping games were huge. We played this one game called SLIDE where you had did one of each type of clap, then two, then three, etc. and got faster and faster until someone messed up. It got super competitive and certain people were recognized as masters of the game.

Other clapping game songs I remember: Miss Lucy (dirty version), Hey Little Playmate,
    Oreo, Tulips, the McDonalds song ("Two all beef patties...), Miss Mary Mack, My mother your mother, Apple on a stick, Engine engine no. 9, etc.

And of course hopscotch and jumprope and Double Dutch. And Chinese jumprope which was like this elastic band that went around your ankles.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Okem said:

Donkey, Wanker, Cunt, horse (or whatever word you felt appropriate)
    - sure you have a similar point scoring system, but this was played buy taking it in turns to kick a football(soccer) against a wall, the aim being to make it as hard as possible for the next person to hit the wall.
    We called this wall ball, and I was playing this when I was 17 with my friends... Albeit at night on LSD or ecstasy, until 2 or 3 am, before returning to yard for a comedown spliff.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    rasta said:
    Not really a game but..
    GLEEKing: When you curl up your tongue and press it to the top of your mouth and a stream of spit "gleeks" out. This one cat could gleek like six feet across the lunch table
    [Keak Da Sneak]

My mind go in other places cats dont speak on
    Da raw and uncut, for you niggas to tweak on
    I GLEEK on suckas when they come out rapping
    So imagin what's gon happen when I see you in traffic

or at least that's what I think he says. 
    Lyrics sites say "flip on" but that doesn't even rhyme.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    This shit was huge with my friends in junior high. I once took the eraser off of a pencil, drilled out 2" of the lead and slipped a finishing nail with the head cut off in there. Then put the eraser back on. At school the next morning I snapped like 10 pencil in a row with one shot each until my pencil broke and the nail came out. I thought being exposed as a fraud would be harsh but instead other kids were asking me to make weighted pencils for them.