the clipse lp is that PFFFFF!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So do people really feel like this is better than Fishscale? I feel like Fishscale is miles above and beyond anything else out right now. I didn't hate this clipse, but I skipped ahead pretty fast on each song. And I kind of find their voices to be annoying.

But seriously, people were pretty stoked on fishscale when it came out, and calling it album of the year, and now this is album of the year. So, is this better than fishscale?

• this is a lot better than fishscale.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I'm just happy to listen to a new rap release without Jazzy Pha's mouth-breathing ass on the intro.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But seriously, people were pretty stoked on fishscale when it came out, and calling it album of the year, and now this is album of the year.

I don't think those were the same "people"...

But seriously, people were pretty stoked on fishscale when it came out, and calling it album of the year, and now this is album of the year.

"people"?

You didn't like fishscale?

I loved it. Probably because I don't like rap music. This clipse sounds like something that would be fun to dance to in a club though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    It's not that deep though - take two equally skilled MCs with albums covering the same subject matter in the same way and add top notch production, full-album vision and craftsmanship to one... that one will make the heralded LP while the other will have a handfull of perhaps good - but ultimately disposable - tracks.

Maybe it's considered "rockist" to look for rap records with an overarching concept but I think that's what most non-internet-rap-geeks are looking for these days.

In the words of someone richer than me, it's gotta make you feel shit.
    I dont think an overarching concept is a bad thing (actually its part of the reason I like Pretty Toney more than Fishscale - the concept of old-soul-singing-along-with-the-radio 'works' for Toney but for Fishscale - it just sounds like slapped together b-sides and an internerd audience telling him what producers to work with) I just wish if Kot was going to talk about how great it was that he would make the argument you're making, and not single this album out as if its the only rap release to do the 'conflicted drug dealer' thing in the last couple years.

to faux - oh yeah?

"people"?

You didn't like fishscale?

I loved it. Probably because I don't like rap music. This clipse sounds like something that would be fun to dance to in a club though.

"People" as you used it = referring to a completely undefined group

The number of people preemptively declaring Fishscale "album of the year" in March was pretty small, and I think consisted mostly of real schitteurs. Actually, now that I think back, even Phill admitted that a better album had been released on the same day.

• I have been listening to this album for over a 2 weeks now. I still think Clipse are mediocre rappers, but the beats are bananas, which IMO makes them shine. The subject matter is a bit repetitive, but being that the album is not drawn out I haven't gotten tired of it... yet. The fact that they didn't really put any filler or any club tracks/joints for the ladies makes this a dope album to me and to alot of the people that have heard it playing in the store - almost no fluff.

Keys Open Doors and Ride Around Shinin are standouts IMO.

Trill is eh, same with Nightmares.

• But seriously, people were pretty stoked on fishscale when it came out, and calling it album of the year, and now this is album of the year.

They all kind of are: dudes (and 4 dudettes) who need to have their tastes dictated to them by the internet and trends.

Is this album going to flop in the real world[/b]? Outside of the 'net/people like us *cough* is anyone really trying to mess with the clipse?

With that being said I hope Best Buy still has this album and the Snoop joint on sale.

• this is a lot better than fishscale.

I haven't heard "Hell Hath" yet and I agree. And I'm a huge Ghost fan!

They all kind of are: dudes (and 4 dudettes) who need to have their tastes dictated to them by the internet and trends.

What I'm saying is this: some people on SoulStrut may have proclaimed Fishscale album of the year back in March. Some people are now proclaiming Hell Hath No Fury to be the album of the year. That doesn't mean that there's been a shift in the consensus... or that there ever was a consensus.

However, I do think going out on a limb two months into the year and proclaiming Fishscale to be the year's best record does bespeak a certain mentality--one that can imagine nothing more satisfying than more of the same.

one that can imagine nothing more satisfying than more of the same.

errr... seems like a lot of people in this thread are saying the same thing (positively) about Hell Hath.... Part of the reason people seem to like it is that they stayed with a winning formula.

or did I read that wrong?

• yeah, i think you read it wrong... people like it at least partially because it cut down on some of the fluff present on the last album and because it's sonically different from what's currently available.

yeah, i think you read it wrong... people like it at least partially because it cut down on some of the fluff present on the last album and because it's sonically different from what's currently available.

There's not much to distinguish Fishscale from the shelf-full of Ghostface stuff I already have, but I don't have much of anything that sounds like the Clipse album.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So do people really feel like this is better than Fishscale? I feel like Fishscale is miles above and beyond anything else out right now. I didn't hate this clipse, but I skipped ahead pretty fast on each song. And I kind of find their voices to be annoying.

But seriously, people were pretty stoked on fishscale when it came out, and calling it album of the year, and now this is album of the year. So, is this better than fishscale?

I think it's better, yes. I actually still prefer "Pretty Toney" to "Fishscale". But, that said, "Fishscale" would definitely be in any top five of mine for the year.

• So do people really feel like this is better than Fishscale? I feel like Fishscale is miles above and beyond anything else out right now. I didn't hate this clipse, but I skipped ahead pretty fast on each song. And I kind of find their voices to be annoying.

I'm not even entering into an "album of the year" debate, but...

...Fishscale is WAY better than this Clipse album.

Ghost could rap acapella and it would be better than this album.

Because the Neptunes production and ever-so-interesting constant BAPE and Ice Cream references aside...these guys are not that fresh on the mic. If you DJ in clubs (which I admittedly don't), then the Clipse joint has obvious appeal. But I value good rapping. And these guys are boring. No charisma, no interesting stories, nothing remarkable. And I don't buy this whole idea that these guys are offering some novel soul-searching remorseful commentary on the crack game. There are elements of remorse in most crack-game-related music; I guess these guys had to dumb it down for people to take notice.

But then, maybe the complex 'phors just went over my head.

This is 2006. Fuck the half-baked-crack-and-BAPE rap. This album is a YAWN.

And please Jonny and Mark, save the ad hominems. I know it hurts to hear your boys' super scientifical lyrical complexities disparaged, but this is just one man's opinion.

• Hey, just in case you were (still) wondering, the first track of the album explains its title.

Now plaese to stop misleading the youth when you clearly have not listened to the record.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I'm not even entering into an "album of the year" debate, but...

...Fishscale is WAY better than this Clipse album.

Ghost could rap acapella and it would be better than this album.

Because the Neptunes production and ever-so-interesting constant BAPE and Ice Cream references aside...these guys are not that fresh on the mic. If you DJ in clubs (which I admittedly don't), then the Clipse joint has obvious appeal. But I value good rapping. And these guys are boring. No charisma, no interesting stories, nothing remarkable. And I don't buy this whole idea that these guys are offering some novel soul-searching remorseful commentary on the crack game. There are elements of remorse in most crack-game-related music; I guess these guys had to dumb it down for people to take notice.

But then, maybe the complex 'phors just went over my head.

This is 2006. Fuck the half-baked-crack-and-BAPE rap. This album is a YAWN.

And please Jonny and Mark, save the ad hominems. I know it hurts to hear your boys' super scientifical lyrical complexities disparaged, but this is just one man's opinion.

This isn't a "club" record.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Malice > Ghostface.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Mirror mirror, who's the fairest?
    Tricked a buck fifty on that horse and carriage
    Must admit, nothing like these carats
    Them hoes holla back just like they parrots
    Down to the watches, alligator strap
    Six different time zones, I don't set her back
    17 a brick, yeah, go and tell 'em that
    I got the wamp wamp when I move it its still damp
    Mildew-ish when I heat it, it turn bluish
    It cools to a tight wad, the Pyrex is Jewish
    I get paper, it seems I get foolish
    Take it to Jacob and play "Which hues the bluest?"
    We ain't browsing, luxurious housing
    Pull up so mean with the Angel bowing
    Or with the emblem bearing the stallion
    European custom, the leathers Italian

• Malice > Ghostface.

oh you mean the Puff Daddy/Jermaine Dupri-sounding one? right.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dunno, man. I'm torn cause somtimes I think Push is the better of the two...

Ughhh... Another soul lost
    Had to make a shirt match my ox blood colored Porsche
    Ughhh... The rims match of course
    Blood hit his Timbs it reminded me of them
    Glistenin' wrist on chiller
    Gun in the same palm of gorgeous killer
    I put this on my lord my niece was 4 when she felt chinchilla
    I past the shore for that shit that made fiends rise from the dead like
    Thriller
    Gangster... Hustler
    At night still found time to kiss my mother
    Live like I'm dreamin' kick my feet up
    Gun pulled my waist remind me of my demon
    So quit ya yappin' fore I get to clappin
    And have your body parts mix and matching fella

• Mirror mirror, who's the fairest?
    Tricked a buck fifty on that horse and carriage
    Must admit, nothing like these carats
    Them hoes holla back just like they parrots
    Down to the watches, alligator strap
    Six different time zones, I don't set her back
    17 a brick, yeah, go and tell 'em that
    I got the wamp wamp when I move it its still damp
    Mildew-ish when I heat it, it turn bluish
    It cools to a tight wad, the Pyrex is Jewish
    I get paper, it seems I get foolish
    Take it to Jacob and play "Which hues the bluest?"
    We ain't browsing, luxurious housing
    Pull up so mean with the Angel bowing
    Or with the emblem bearing the stallion
    European custom, the leathers Italian

he cooks crack and he has a tight car? revolutionary. funny, I was gonna offer this same verse as an example of the vapid lyricism on this record. and the charisma of the delivery? man, this guy makes Faboulous sound like Fredro Star.

and thanks for illustrating my earlier point about the Jewish line. the pyrex produces tight wads of crack...and so the pyrex is itself Jewish (because Jews make tightwads, rather than are tightwads, right). the astounding nonsensical lyricism has shifted my kufee back significantly.

• I dunno, man. I'm torn cause somtimes I think Push is the better of the two...

oh, you mean the geechi suede-sounding one. or was it sonny cheeba....

• the fact that some california law school chad and dizzybull are the only two people who don't get it makes me like this album even more

This isn't a "club" record.

That's what I was about to say.

But then we are arguing with the one rootlesscosmo, who jocks The Game as hard as The Game jocks Dre.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dunno, man. I'm torn cause somtimes I think Push is the better of the two...

oh, you mean the geechi suede-sounding one. or was it sonny cheeba....

I just don't get your existence, dude.

man, this guy makes Faboulous sound like Fredro Star.

Fabolous is an excellent lyricist.

You may not care for his subject matter or the production he chooses, but even at his most pop, you really can't front on the way he constructs a rhyme:

It's gonna be a clip tossed if I go back
    With stains of your lip gloss on my throwback
    She wont care if I'm a platinum rapper
    If she catch me with an empty magnum wrapper
    So keep it on the down low, call the car celly
    You seen what happened with Mr. Big and R Kelly...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    the fact that some california law school chad and dizzybull are the only two people who don't get it makes me like this album even more

amen

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    this is a lot better than fishscale.

got it
    the packaging is eh
    but the CD quality sound is noice

cop it at Best Buy

hatteurs sit down