Playboy Records Label?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Hey peoples,Are there any Playboy Record label releases out there? Everything I've heard on it is either mediocre or sucky. Holleur

Comments

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Good topic. I'd like to know as well. I only have a mediocre OST called the Naked Ape on their label (i think).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hey peoples,
    Are there any Playboy Record label releases out there? Everything I've heard on it is either mediocre or sucky.
    Holleur

I like Yaqui on the Santana-like rock tip.

And Brownstone has it's moments.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Forgot about Naked Ape. Wondering any funky soul worthwhile or semi psych/funk rock raers?

• there is a tough psych funk 45, but the name escapes me...has "darkness" in the band name, I believe. Jazzman had one a few years ago for a hundred pounds or so. I am raking my brain to try and remember what it is.

• there is a tough psych funk 45, but the name escapes me...has "darkness" in the band name, I believe. Jazzman had one a few years ago for a hundred pounds or so. I am raking my brain to try and remember what it is.

Darkness of Evil "Laid Back Funk"

Darkness of Evil "Laid Back Funk"

yes!

thank you!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Blackhawk Slaughter-Fly Gets The Shaft, but I think it's a different Playboy label.

• I'm partial to Major Lance[/b]'s version of "Wild And Free"[/b], real good
    one to have in the middle of a 4 hour-fogger sweaty disco type set.

And then there's Willie Henderson[/b]'s "The Dance Master"[/b](vocal/inst.),
    an entertaining record that falls into the unfortunate
    category of Slow Disco - like below 100 bpm - even good records in this
    category rarely get played out.

• there is also one called "Gangster Boogie Bump" and another one that I like is "Lets Merengue" or so. I have those in my piles, but doesn't want to search through now.

If you really need the Info I would do so, but maybe someone has them on hands now...

Best,

SC

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Wondering any funky soul worthwhile

I think the Weapons of Peace album is worthwhile on this tip. Not but pretty good.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Wondering any funky soul worthwhile

I think the Weapons of Peace album is worthwhile on this tip. Not but pretty good.

Like this one?.......please to see my ad in sales.

• I really like Ron Butler & The Ramblers and Sam Russell, both on the early 70's Modern/Crossover tip.

• The first Hudson Brothers lp is on Playboy. Some great early power-pop tunes!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Anyone know if this is the same Mark Davis that did the Mist 45 on Twinight?

• I only have a mediocre OST called the Naked Ape on their label (i think).
    ]

I think this record is dope. I wouldn't call it mediocre... But maybe that's just my taste.

Granted, I've only heard some of the funky shit, and I liked the voice overs... A record doesn't have to be great for me to want it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I never was a big fan of the Weapons of Peace LP.

Sharon Cash's second album is also on Playboy. There's better songs overall on that self-titled album compared to her earlier LP on Mother's but there's nothing on the Playboy LP that's as hot as "Fever" either.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Post deleted by Supergood

• I have a few good 45s on the label. Two of them are the thread I put up last nite about "common 45s". It has links to download the Willie Henderson 45 "Gangsta Boogie Bump" and "Let's Merengue" and also the excellent, Al Wilson "Be Concerned". Check 'em out.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Cosign on the Sharon Cash LP (which I avoided for a long time for some reason but recently grabbed and appreciated) and the "Dance Master" 45 (which I think is mediocre sometimes and pretty good others). I think the Henderson 45 mentions an LP but I've never seen or heard of it otherwise.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The first US release by ABBA is on Playboy,
    a single credited to "Bjorn & Benny" - not being
    an ABBA fan, I can't hype it's musical quality, but
    if you find one it can be flipped for some $$$.

• I have a single or two by Buck - really good early '70s soul. I also have 45's by Brenda Lee Eager (Jerry Butler's duet partner) and Bobby Taylor (of "& the Vancouvers" fame), but they're not all that hot. Major Lance had a surprisingly good uptempo remake of "Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um" that was a minor hit in 1975. They released a vintage live Leadbelly session, and I have a 7" pairing "Goodnight Irene" and "Rock Island Line" from that album. On the blues tip, Phillip Walker's first album was on Playboy (The Bottom Of The Top), but I have yet to hear it.

Strangely enough, towards the end of its' run Playboy briefly distributed the weirdo Beserkley label, one of the earliest companies to ever be associated with the punk/new wave/power-pop (Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers were their big act). They also had (PAGING TERRY CLUBBUP & ANTHONY PEARSON)[/b] Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds - "baby, baby, fallin' in love, I'm fallin' in love again..."

AND TERRY CLUBBUP...[/b]...Willie Henderson's classic "Dance Master" may have been too slow for disco, but just right for funk (remember, in 1975 disco hadn't yet become as mechanical as it did later, so the standards were different). We play this single all the time at our soul nites at the Hideout, and it never fails to keep people out on the floor.

• I really like Ron Butler & The Ramblers and Sam Russell, both on the early 70's Modern/Crossover tip.

I was going to say Sam Russell's "What's Unusual Ain't Natural" Lp. I love the song "Yesterday's Sorrow."

• idemidem 98 Posts
    The first US release by ABBA is on Playboy,
    a single credited to "Bjorn & Benny" - not being
    an ABBA fan, I can't hype it's musical quality, but
    if you find one it can be flipped for some $$$.

yeh use the bucks to buy some real music , and thats how the world turns