Best Library LP ever?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited February 2018 in Record Collecting
Dinha Mantha's Power was it for me until I finally got hold of this bad-ass de wolfe

Which is pretty much for me.Whats the best Library LP in your book?
TAGGED:

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not a huge Lib guy, but I enjoy this one quite a lot

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i don't wanna knock any of the choices above, but none of these libs can fuck with some Brian Bennett's drama suite volume, or some Alan Tew's drama montage volume. With that said, the Hard Hitter is dope for drums. No doubt about that. The Conroy got one or two good joints too. I wouldn't trade my Tempus Fugit for any of those for example...Or better yet, a Nick Ingman joint. But to each his own...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    NOW IF U DIG BUGGED OUT DRAMA SOUND EFFECTS & SAMPLES THAN LOOK NO FURTHER...THIS LP IS LOADED WITH OPEN SOUNDS TO CHOP UP ON THE SINISTER DRAMA TIP...MAD DARK FUZZ SOUNDS & STRINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE...COP SHOW STYLE ACTION....THIS ONE IS PURE SAMPLEFOOD FOR YOUR MPC

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i don't wanna knock any of the choices above, but none of these libs can fuck with some Brian Bennett's drama suite volume, or some Alan Tew's drama montage volume. With that said, the Hard Hitter is dope for drums. No doubt about that. The Conroy got one or two good joints too. I wouldn't trade my Tempus Fugit for any of those for example...Or better yet, a Nick Ingman joint. But to each his own...
    i don't wanna knock your choice...but i will. first: brian bennett made drama montage pt 1 not drama suite pt1. and alan tew made drama suite pt 1 not drama montage. second: conroy feelings is hands down one of the best library records...without contest. it is not a one or two tracker but an album with only one or two weak tracks out of 10-12. Hard hitter is cool...but not even one of the best on de wolfe. i'd say hogan the hawk, black pearl or nick ingmans-big beat take it for de wolfe. third: tempus fugit is kind of a terd with little quality music on it...unless of course you need it to sample "dope outerspace style synth loops...for daze!"...just my two cents.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    oh...and the brian bennett drama montage on bruton ain't even that great. i have both 1 and 2 and they don't even begin to compare to alan tews drama suite...1 and 2.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    John Cameron's Afro Rock is the best I've heard, don't actually own it but ..

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Dinha Mantha's Power was it for me until I finally got hold of this bad-ass de wolfe

I didn't like that Hard Hitter.

For me, its got to be

Stefano Torrosi "Feelings"
    Brian Bennett "Drama Montage 1"
    Alan Tew "Drama Suites"
    Keith Mansfield "Industrial Power"

• mmm,

you guys are mostly mentioning English libraries...from my experience Italian libs are my favourite and the stuff on the IM label from France is just incredible.

What's funny with libraries is the way people try and order, classify, put them in a box...so conducive to generalisations!

Jonny Trunk's book brought together lots of library fans/collectors but it still only skimmed the surface and it was mainly for visual effect. There doesn't seem to be one expert in the field, one guy who's heard them all...be good to ask this person the question, don't you think?

• mmm,

you guys are mostly mentioning English libraries...from my experience Italian libs are my favourite and the stuff on the IM label from France is just incredible.

What's funny with libraries is the way people try and order, classify, put them in a box...so conducive to generalisations!

Jonny Trunk's book brought together lots of library fans/collectors but it still only skimmed the surface and it was mainly for visual effect. There doesn't seem to be one expert in the field, one guy who's heard them all...be good to ask this person the question, don't you think?

Ask to people who really knows their shit: Iueke or Sermad in Vinylvulture would school you for sure about libraries, these guys know everything about libraries.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

johnny trunk's book seemed to be about covers only. cover design. although his choices seemed to be very random. some ugly and pretty bad records in there.

there are many library experts. sermad from VV.co.uk used to be on soulstrut.

some good libraries:

vecchio - afro rock on DE WOLFE (much better than the kpm)
    big beat 1&2 on KPM
    speed & excitement on KPM
    Progressive Pop on KPM
    feelings on conroy
    Sorgini - London Transport on Sonimage
    IM libraries in general
    Afro Spooky on PEER
    Stringtronics on PEER
    5 + 4 Powerhouse on PEER
    Reggae For Real on PEER
    Psycho Soul on Harmonic Mood
    Nilovic's MP2thousands
    Nilovic's (Loore's) Ambiance Rhythmes on Neuilly
    Lesiman Here & Now 1&2
    Challenger on Freesound
    Philopsis on Freesound
    African Voodoo on PSI
    Roelens - Research of Sound
    Golden Ring #11 by Klaus Weiss (some people don't like it)
    most I Marc 4 libraries on Nelson
    CAM - too many to name (Rhythmical Modern, etc)
    Light & Rhythmical Backgrounds on Selected Sound
    The Master Said on Selected Sound
    Q1 on Quadriga

there are still some nice libraries out there. I couldn't even name half of them.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    oh, i forgot to say that:

Vechhio's Afor Rock is still my favorite library record.
    And Stringtronics keeps growing...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

easy listening with one decent track and a drum break. i don't miss my copy at all. nick ingman recorded better stuff than that.

i still got the rhthmes, but i'd trade it for some other records immediately.

i forgot to mention that according to my Diggin Religion, libs are for producers and are not "really" intended to be "for your listening pleasure". It's a producer thing. If you don't make beats, it's kinda useless for me to talk about it. Libs are like a giant music library where you dig for bits and pieces. It helps to create tracks but surely don't really qualify as "dope instrumental shit". It's background music to the fullest. It so happens that some volumes in EACH collection (Amphonic, Conroy, Bruton, KPM, but also Telemusic, MP2000, Cam, Selected Sounds, etc) carry some heavy hitters. But thats just enough for a compilation or a mix, but not enough to call your momma about it. Again, it's a producer thing. And producers got different tastes all around the World. It's not about "agreeing" on the rawness of a library LP. It's about what tickle your spine and what your MPC will like.
    Now when i see people tellin me that they just listen to library music for the sake of it, i'm just amazed how much they could listen to cheesy music. Because libs are 90% cheesy. KPM is the King of Cheese.
    I use Italian libs for violins mostly, KPM for brass and drum sounds, Bruton for synths and layers, MP2000 for loops, etc...knowing that i refuse to spend more than 5$ on a volume. I bought maybe 1500 Libs in the last 7 years. I kept maybe 20 volumes for the shelves... LOL. I sold the rest to heavy diggers for more than what i paid. I know i deserve hell for that. But anyway, to flip back on the topic, most libraries named in this post are "good" in one way or another. It's just a matter of taste. Feelings can't fuck with Drama Suite...lol (sorry for the mistake i made previously).

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i forgot to mention that according to my Diggin Religion, mibs are for producers and are not "really" intended to be "for your listening pleasure". It's a producer thing. If you don't make beats, it's kinda useless for me to talk about it. Libs are like a giant music library where you dig for bits and pieces. It helps to create tracks but surely don't really qualify as "dope instrumental shit". It's background music to the fullest. It so happens that some volumes in EACH collection (Amphonic, Conroy, Bruton, KPM, but also Telemusic, MP2000, Cam, Selected Sounds, etc) carry some heavy hitters. But thats just enough for a compilation or a mix, but not enough to call your momma about it. Again, it's a producer thing. And producers got different tastes all around the World. It's not about "agreeing" on the rawness of a library LP. It's about what tickle your spine and what your MPC will like.
    Now when i see people tellin me that they just listen to library music for the sake of it, i'm just amazed how much they could listen to cheesy music. Because libs are 90% cheesy. KPM is the King of Cheese.
    I use Italian libs for violins mostly, KPM for brass and drum sounds, Bruton for synths and layers, MP2000 for loops, etc...knowing that i refuse to spend more than 5$ on a volume. I bought maybe 1500 Libs in the last 7 years. I kept maybe 20 volumes for the shelves... LOL. I sold the rest to heavy diggers for more than what i paid. I know i deserve hell for that. But anyway, to flip back on the topic, most libraries named in this post are "good" in one way or another. It's just a matter of taste. Feelings can't fuck with Drama Suite...lol (sorry for the mistake i made previously).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd also disagree with the assertion that library records are only good for producers - from the best ones I've heard, they can include actual, you know, SONGS that aren't simply meant for background use. I'm not claiming this is the case for most library records but given that these studio bands often had carte blanche to just do whtever they felt like, in some cases, they actually put together a variety of songs rather than just one or two grooves to fulfill the "Cop Theme" quotient.

Not that much if you look at like that : libs wasn't made for the public. It wasn't intended to be sold separatly, without a license. So, at the end of the day, it wasn't made "for listening pleasure" per say, but for illustration...OR beatmaking.

That's not so dumb...or maybe it is, but i don't see myself pullin' out a library joint to get my fuck on. A marvin, a eddie kiendricks, yea. But some Brian Bennnet to impress your chick. Naw. It don't work man. And if you want to have a nice little house party, i doubt that your guest will dance their feet off of the last Stefan Torossi. I don't know. You tell me if that's first quality music...and i didn't say it's ...Don't get me wrong. But if you don't sample off of it, i dunno...You don't make beats??? that's it?? i'm sorry i stroke a nerve then. But for real, looking for libs when you don't sample them, hmmm ,i don't know. To each his own i guess. Some people collect anything, like peanuts shells for example...So why not libs.

i forgot to mention that according to my Diggin Religion, libs are for producers and are not "really" intended to be "for your listening pleasure". It's a producer thing. If you don't make beats, it's kinda useless for me to talk about it. Libs are like a giant music library where you dig for bits and pieces. It helps to create tracks but surely don't really qualify as "dope instrumental shit". It's background music to the fullest. It so happens that some volumes in EACH collection (Amphonic, Conroy, Bruton, KPM, but also Telemusic, MP2000, Cam, Selected Sounds, etc) carry some heavy hitters. But thats just enough for a compilation or a mix, but not enough to call your momma about it. Again, it's a producer thing. And producers got different tastes all around the World. It's not about "agreeing" on the rawness of a library LP. It's about what tickle your spine and what your MPC will like.

Yo, you should just stop WRITING, son!

well i like to entertain this place from time to time if you didn't know...y'all talk so seriously that y'all need some european groove to chill a bit.

And you didn't answer me : how many girls did you get to stay with you while playing Stringtronics???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If the measure of "good music" was simply any tune that could bring someone's panties (or boxers) off, I'm not sure how much of music, writ large, would pass muster.

• This guy must be " avin a laff"

or he's never heard much "library" music.

There's bloody tonnes of the stuff that you can play out the whole tracks in a club - it stands up to any other stuff if you are playing stuff from that late 60s - early 70s era.

The Mohawks sessions were originally made as library music for chrissakes !!

• CraigCraig 269 Posts

they get my vote too as good as sf sorrow if not even better...

they get my vote too as good as sf sorrow if not even better...

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT A PRODUCER SON!

I WILL STROKE YOUR NERVE

• I would say two of my favs are the Pop Musique one by Guy Forlane on IM and the I Marc 4 ( the lime green cover GLP004)) on Nelson Records.

amir

• one more: Rythmes et melodies by jacky giordano on Sonimage
    amir

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the I Marc 4 ( the lime green cover GLP004)) on Nelson Records.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

easy listening with one decent track
    wow...really? trip wire, snatch, thrust, and down home are all pretty dope cop show style ost funk. it does have some e-z elements to it (the track throng is cheezzzzzzzy) but over all its a good listen.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

cool record but i like the rhythmiques and neo rhythmiques records a lil' more.

this album is beautiful but if you want "library funk!" look elsewhere.