Gerald Levert R.I.P

picoandsepulvedapicoandsepulveda 1,026 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
They say it comes in 3's... first Ed Bradley now this. Who's next? at any rate R.I.P Gerald Levert you will be missed.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    40 YEARS OLD ..... Sad .....dude was trying to lose weight recently

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Does anyone have a story on this?

truly sad to hear

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

WHAT?!!

Seriously...this is getting to be a bit much, and too soon.

R.I.P. to the one classic voices in soul music.

• Gerald Levert Dies; R&B Crooner Was 40
    - By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer
    Friday, November 10, 2006

(11-10) 13:02 PST New York (AP) --

Gerald Levert, the fiery singer of passionate R&B love songs and the son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert, died on Friday. He was 40.

His label, Atlantic Records, confirmed that Levert died at his home in Cleveland, Ohio.

"All of us at Atlantic are shocked and deeply saddened by his untimely death. He was one of the greatest voices of our time, who sang with unmatched soulfulness and power, as well as a tremendously gifted composer and an accomplished producer," the statement read.

Levert first gained fame back in 1986, as a member of the R&B trio LeVert, which also included his brother, Sean. They quickly racked up hits like "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind,""Casanova," and "Baby I'm Ready."

But Gerald Levert's voice ??? powerful and soulful, almost a carbon-copy of his father's ??? was always the focal point, and in 1991, he made his solo debut with the album "Private Line," which included a hit duet with his dad, "Baby Hold on to Me."

Levert became known for his sensual, romantic songs, but unlike a Luther Vandross, whose voice and songs were more genteel, Levert's music was explosive and raw ??? his 2002 album was titled "The G Spot."

His most recent album was 2005's "Voices."

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2006/11/10/entertainment/e130133S12.DTL

Goddamn...can someone please post an MP3 of "Casanova"? I need to hear that now.

RIP

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That's sad and shocking.

I really liked Gerald's interpretations of Motown classics in the Standing in the Shadows film--matter of fact, he was the only contemporary artist featured in that movie that was able to fill those shoes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• daaaamn dude was too young to go man, platinum voice. that sucks. r.i.power.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    thank you sir. will be playing this on the air tonight.

• They say it comes in 3's... first Ed Bradley now this. Who's next? at any rate R.I.P Gerald Levert you will be missed.

Jack Palance... There's your third...

• dang, it's got to be hard for his pops (o'jays lead singer) to outlive his son.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    this is hitting people here in Cleveland real hard....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    VH1 Soul did a two hour tribute to Gerald. From Levert to his Eddie collabos to his early solo stuff - to his collabos w/ Miki Howard/The Rude Boys/LSG.

Gerald weathered the storm during his recording career. He most definitnley got better as he went for the grown n sexy sound and abandoned the HipHop soul stuff.

LSG is my shit.