commercial shit thats working in the club? (DJR)

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
So yeah, current commercial rap and r&b is sorta tepid right now, no? You already knew that though. What's funny is trying to predict and maybe even affect a lil bit what's going to work before something blows up on the radio. The new Jay is NOT working in the clubs at all, as discussed elsewhere, that is a real dissapointment, especially for cats that were looking forward to busting out the Shaft in Africa and having the crowd get buck! haha yeah right. And I thought that top 40 type spots were really gonna react to "My Love", but people just cannot dance to that song. So what is working / what do you hope will work in a couple weeks when it hits radio?Ludacris - Girls Gone WildUGK - Stop and GoConsequence - Callin Me (gonna be huge! wishful thinking 'cause I am not mad at this song one bit)Snoop Dogg w/E-40 - Candy (never caught on as much as I had hoped)E-40 - White Gurl (been using the acapella a lot)The Pack - Vans is surprisingly still kinda hitting, or at least the B-Cause remix which is oh Federation - 18 Dummy (I know its been around for awhile but it still works here in the bay)Akon - Smack That (As tepid as it is, it really kills those top 40 crowds)Some of that new Diddy shit has got some beats! Just re-edit out Diddy and you're set.And that new Nas shit is just god awful. What's working in your respective towns and/or cities?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i need this also as your boy is djing out for the FIRST TIME next week
    capski has a good bmore edit of my love that i cant seem to find a link of

• I Djed a really Fratty Halloween party the other weekend and just played hours and hours of current or semi recent club and the song that killed hardest was the A'z - Yadadamean. I didn't even think any of these kids had heard the song but it spawned a huge dance-off between about 15 dudes. Vans killed too.

• What's working in your respective towns and/or cities?

From the perspective of my thuggish ruggish b/w busted stripper night:

"Shoulder Lean" works like a MOTHERHUBBARD out here. I swear to God I cut out every other line and the whole crowd raps along. 'Specially that "girl got a girlfriend" line.

"At the club I shake my ass...at the party I shake my ass..." is an annoying hook. Kinda boring beat, too.

Akon/Snoop works like crazy. As does Akon/Eminem.

Fools TRIP when "One Blood" comes on, to the point where we have to read the crowd to decide if we're gonna play it or not. I guess as Crip-centric as most West Coast Hip Hop is, them Bloods gotta rep extra hard when that song comes on.

Them Turf Hits (Hi Moist!) still go over well out here. I'm talkin' "old" stuff like "Hyphy" and shit!

Wine-O's "Pop My Trunk" hasn't done shit (unfortunately). I'ma keep sneaking that in until they come around, though!

"Grew Up A Screw Up" FINALLY worked last week. The week before it cleared the floor.

Last week I tricked the crowd into dancing to Zion I and The Grouch's "Hit 'Em" (ft. Mistah F.A.B.). That beat is HOT!!!

"Make It Rain" bombed 2 weeks ago but I'm betting it'll drive the crowd crazy in a week or two. (It takes a while for shit to catch on out here, plus MTV's been playing the shit out that video recently!)

Herm

P.S. What up with that UGK shit? Plaese to post mp3. (Consequence, too!)

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    i need this also as your boy is djing out for the FIRST TIME next week
    capski has a good bmore edit of my love that i cant seem to find a link of

The dude capski has got some chops!

Go get 'em Brian!

• Promiscuous Girl

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Go get 'em Brian!
    thanks, it's going to be a straight up commercial gig and in hawaii that pretty much means no regional stuff which kinda makes me sad

how is that godawful dannity kane song hitting for you guys and which diddy songs have been good? i think that song with christina has a video now?

P.S. What up with that UGK shit? Plaese to post mp3. (Consequence, too!)

UGK - Stop and Go

Consequence - Callin' Me

Consequence - Callin' Me Inst

Now plaese to post the Zion I w/ Grouch!

• P.S. What up with that UGK shit? Plaese to post mp3. (Consequence, too!)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=746BC69234039475

THANKS!!!

• The Pack - Vans is surprisingly still kinda hitting, or at least the B-Cause remix which is oh

could someone post this?

• The new Jay is NOT working in the clubs at all, as discussed elsewhere, that is a real dissapointment

you must not live on the east coast!! this song is everywhere

• Morrissey Codeschevitz,

I'm really surprised at how well "I Wanna Love You" (Snoop and Akon) works. Like...frighteningly well. I just heard the Akon and Eminem for the first time the other day and, um, I wasn't mad? (Link, please!)

Co-sign on the "Candy" disappointment. I really hoped that one would take off.

"Money in the Bank" (the original) seems to be working well for a song that's relatively new. Just keep listening to KMEL and Wild 94.9 for your upcoming playlists.

And as far as "My Love" goes, I usually play it as the last song of the night and folks love it. It's weird, because it really is 60 bpm and NOT 120.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm really surprised at how well "I Wanna Love You" (Snoop and Akon) works. Like...frighteningly well. I just heard the Akon and Eminem for the first time the other day and, um, I wasn't mad? (Link, please!)

These songs are both awful.

Akon has morphed into a fake T-Pain.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

For once, we can agree.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    UNK ft Outkast & Jim Jones - Walk It Out

We played a free all ages gig Saturday night at the Brooklyn Museum before The Rub. 3000 people, from little kids all the way to old people, mostly black. I played "Walk It Out" and the room went COMPLETELY apeshit. 8 year olds with braids doing choreographed Snap routines with their little sisters, straight off BET/YouTube. When Jim Jones's verse came on the teenagers were throwing up gang signs and going crazy so I switched real quick to Chicken Noodle Soup and it was game over. Until you've seen 200 little kids doing the Chicken Noodle Soup dance and the Dutty Wine and the Walk It Out, you haven't lived. It kills me that we didn't have a video camera there.

• I'm really surprised at how well "I Wanna Love You" (Snoop and Akon) works. Like...frighteningly well. I just heard the Akon and Eminem for the first time the other day and, um, I wasn't mad? (Link, please!)

1) This thread is for people with two turntables, Dude.

2) Stop sending your girl up to request that new Dannity Kane for you:

I don't even have that schitt on MP3 for you, Faux_Stopper.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

1) This thread is for people with two turntables, Dude.

Well, the part about what works and doesn't work in the clurb is clearly for the working DJs, but you couldn't leave well enough alone and had to add the aesthetic judgment that you wasn't mad at the song, which I could not let go--anybody with a fully functional set of ears should be at least a little mad at that one.

• we need this thread EVERY month. i'm going to play catchup and download a rack of these tracks listed above.

i just started getting booked at the "mainstream" (read: Black people go there) club ontop of my usual "alternative" (read: hipster) dance night.

The crowd is too easy predict, it's kinda sad. out here in ohio we don't have any good local radio so everything that people want is on the charts at promoonly.com or bet.com's rap city page. all of the random requests i get are usually things i found on those charts and downloaded. people are still going crazy for Luda's "money maker" and UNK's "walk it out"

i think last week i did an hour of stuff that was between 82 and 85 BPMs...that tempos kinda hot right now i guess.

when i lived near DC it was so nice to turn on the radio at noon and at 5 and hear live DJays mixing the new-hot shit, now people just want to hear whats on BET, i feel way behind trying to look on the internet for what's supposed to be new/hot....like "wow, really...this song?"

I'm about to start a weekly gay night here so i can play Madonna and disco all night long.

• The new Jay is NOT working in the clubs at all, as discussed elsewhere, that is a real dissapointment

yeah, that shit is murder in NC right now... "my love" on the other hand, is turning into one of those songs that every girl in the club requests all night, then when you play it, nobody knows what to do... all the beckys squeal and then just stand there

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My Love is such utter garbage in every way.

Here in TX, a Z-Ro album just came out so at least momentarily nothing else matters.

• all the new akon stuff has been murdering, but the snoop/rkelly has been sort of a bust so far (maybe when the video comes out that will change). i'm skeptical that anything else off the game album will pop.

even the beckyest are finally tired of sexyback but justin's "my love" still gets some of the biggest response of the night.

some newish dancehall that has been going over well:

tony matterhorn - goodas
    mavado - wha dem ah do
    qq - stookie

how is jim jones "we fly high" working in spots outside of new york?

• how is jim jones "we fly high" working in spots outside of new york?

shit's BIG[/b] down here

The new Jay is NOT working in the clubs at all, as discussed elsewhere, that is a real dissapointment

First off, you must not have read the part where I mentioned being in the bay, SF proper. Second, I never denied that this song is everywhere, it IS getting a lot of radio play out here, but everytime I've dropped it so far it gets a reaction at the beginning for the horns, but when the beat kicks in, people just don't quite know what to do with it. No staying power at all.

I have to admit I've kinda wished that "We Fly High" would take off out here, 'cause that song has been a guilty pleasure of mine for a minute, but no dice. A little radio play on the latenight mix shows, but that about it.

R*ss here's that Akon:

Smack That

and somebody from the other board, I think ThemJeans, posted this re-edit at 130 which is pretty useful at times:

Smack That @ 130bpermz

Hermdiggles, that Wine-O is pretty dope, and not that this would ever happen around here, but it would be cool to play "Swang" out and get a reaction. Can someone tell me if this is the 12" or LP version, and hook a bruh up and post the opposite version for comparison purposes? Thanks bludzors.

• I know this thread is for people working the cluurrrbs...but...

...Just wanna say: PROPS to you guys for getting out and getting yours (Hi R*ss and N*t; sorry I missed Milk this wknd!). As someone who collects music but does not play out in the clubs, I am just thankful that I don't have to go out there and waste my precious life minutes playing terds like Akon and Justin T (and trying to convince myself that these poptart jams are somehow "good")! But I realize someone has to do this -- so big ups to you guys for keeping the Beckys squeeling (no condascendo). I salute ya'll!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    that's the original 12" version. there's a remix with pimp c that is the same beat with bells or some shit over it and the lp version is a different beat with all the same verses but they're all rearranged for some reason. i can post those two when i get to work. RIP FAT PAT AND HAWK

• As someone who collects music but does not play out in the clubs, I am just thankful that I don't have to go out there and waste my precious life minutes playing terds like Akon and Justin T (and trying to convince myself that these poptart jams are somehow "good")!

if you like to dj, why would it matter if you play JT, akon or the backstreet boys? go home after you are done and play the music u like.

i never understood this whole "becky" shit. if playing pop music bothers you then u need to a) start scratching , b) make your own remixes, edits, mashes, etc., and/or c) learn how to enjoy seeing people dance and have fun.

i'm not saying djing is all good times, but please show me another job that pays as well and beats going out at nite spending your own money. "wasting precious life minutes"???

• New E-40 slappery : dumb hyphy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2tlb2r

• UNK ft Outkast & Jim Jones - Walk It Out

We played a free all ages gig Saturday night at the Brooklyn Museum before The Rub. 3000 people, from little kids all the way to old people, mostly black. I played "Walk It Out" and the room went COMPLETELY apeshit. 8 year olds with braids doing choreographed Snap routines with their little sisters, straight off BET/YouTube. When Jim Jones's verse came on the teenagers were throwing up gang signs and going crazy so I switched real quick to Chicken Noodle Soup and it was game over. Until you've seen 200 little kids doing the Chicken Noodle Soup dance and the Dutty Wine and the Walk It Out, you haven't lived. It kills me that we didn't have a video camera there.

That sounds awesome. Last time I was in New York, I went to get some late night eats over by Eleven's crib and overheard a dude talking about the BM first Friday event, saying "Mannnnnnnnn, I've never seen so much primo pussy in a museum in my life." Kinda stuck in my head.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Jibbs' "Turkey in the Straw"-gone-snap "Chain Hang Low".

• am a bit disconnected, havent played in a club in afew months

but new lil wayne/robin thicke single 'all night long' maybe. sugary but rhythmic ladies will like it

and yeah that movado dude is cool

• "Chain Hang Low".

Yes, this has done well for me so far.