"Want to know more"...essential house

guybrushguybrush 5 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
Hi!

First time here on soulstruts forum and it seems to be loaded with knowledge about all kinds of music. Since that I would appritiate if I could get some tips on some essential house-music for newbies, thats me, wich you should not miss out on.Best regards.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    moodymann

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is there a type of house your gravitate towards or are you just lookin to aquire the vinyl versions of the general consensus picks?

Hot Music - Soho

• some good stuff to me is

2 bit project
    3 Chairs
    Abacus
    Andres'
    Blue Boy-Dub a dutch
    Chez Damier
    Dajae
    Darren Abrams-Loose piano
    Deep Dish-Relativity (Carl Craig Mix)
    Demarkus Lewis
    Some DJ Sneak
    Dwayne Jensen-My people
    Glenn Underground
    Theo Parrish
    Rick Wilhite
    Rick Wade

be back with more later

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Hot Music - Soho

most hiphop friendly house......

I'm not sure if asking strutters is the best idea. This thread will invariably descend to "I don't know much about house but the little I've heard is wack. Prove me wrong, give me some examples".

Go check deephousepage.com for mixes and the otaku esque message board.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I don't know much about house, but what i've heard is wack. Can we talk free jazz?

Weve had numerous House discussions here and the usual suspects drop knowledge. Paging Dubious.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm not sure if asking strutters is the best idea. This thread will invariably descend to "I don't know much about house but the little I've heard is wack. Prove me wrong, give me some examples".

What BATMON said.

The classic house discussions here get pretty indepth, I got a load of MP3s the last time one of these went down... unfortunately we can't dig up anything more than a couple months old now.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    While not strictly house, I like a lot of the Moodymann 12's. Roy Davis Jr.'s Gabrielle is as classic as it gets, too. A lot of the early stuff on Trax is cool as well.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    http://www.undergroundhouse.net
    represents a flavour of house I like a lot

don't listen to the haters
    make up your own mind about house music
    it's a 12" based style of music
    separate tracks often make no sense
    best enjoyed on a good soundsystem

peace

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    While not strictly house, I like a lot of the Moodymann 12's. Roy Davis Jr.'s Gabrielle is as classic as it gets, too. A lot of the early stuff on Trax is cool as well.

The Roy Davis is nice. I was going to ask if there are any essential 90s releases and that would be one. Maybe Nuyorican Soul as well. House Sound of Chicago comps would be the place to start for the old Trax stuff.

The Roy Davis is nice. I was going to ask if there are any essential 90s releases and that would be one. Maybe Nuyorican Soul as well.

But wouldnt you say "Classic" House was during the 80's?

Even though he askes for "Essential-House for Newbies" which would blanket the entire genre.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

The Roy Davis is nice. I was going to ask if there are any essential 90s releases and that would be one. Maybe Nuyorican Soul as well.

Even though he askes for "Essential-House for Newbies" which would blanket the entire genre.

Exactly, but most of that 80s stuff except maybe Marshall Jefferson, Silk Hurley, etc would be a guaranteed floor-clearer these days. Perhaps the resident Hip House experts can tell us more about this

Exactly, but most of that 80s stuff except maybe Marshall Jefferson, Silk Hurley, etc would be a guaranteed floor-clearer these days. Perhaps the resident Hip House experts can tell us more about this
    Well then the real question is if you want House that's "functional" if your spinning out or do want a collection of "essentials" for simple home listening/historical documentation.

And if you are spinning out, "Classic" would pprobably only be %30 of your ammo, right? If you go to a serious sweaty House jam, cats probably dont want you to run through all the softballs. Unlike most of the Hip Hop venues out there where you can thrill a gang of Beckys w/ HipHop Mix #1999.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Kenny Dope and Little Louie Vega have been pretty consistent down the years in their various guises as both artist/producers and remixers. There's far too many to list here, but BBE put together a couple of good tenth anniversary comps about five years ago which are worth a look.

Larry "Mr Fingers" Heard has done a ton of great shit down the years as well. I wish I still had a copy of the soul/r&b demos he sent me when I was working in a&r for an indie music publisher about ten years back - there was some great material on there. We never did the deal and I didn't have the presence of mind to take the tapes with me when I left.

Basic Channel is known more for minimal techno and, nowadays, dub/roots reggae, but many years ago they put out a few 12"s on their Mainstreet imprint ("I'm Your Brother" by Round One and "New Day" by Round Two) which are glorious slabs of melancholic, soulful, dubbed-out house music.

I've got a bit of time for Armand van Helden as well - his "You Don't Know Me" is a great example of a house record made with a hip-hop ethos; just a filtered Carrie Lucas loop and some neck-snapping SP1200 drums.

I kinda lost track of house music when I stopped going to clubs that played it and when what became known as house deviated too far from how I understood it. From about 91-97, there was a lot of good shit coming out, though, and that's not even including the early years from 85-90.

• lot of things to chose from... thanks alot. As it is said at the first drop I'm almost totaly new the genre but what iv'e heard so far sounds good to me. I've bought st germains tourist a couple days ago moslty because hes on bluenote and that ish must therfore be listenable. And it was. I guess that record is weary easygoing for people wich hasn't been listening to housemusic before, some of the tracks don't even have that house feeling realy. But anyways, What I'm looking for is that kind wich come from a hip hop background. Iv'e heard only good things about kenny dope so that's maybe where I should look next time when buying records but theres a lot of tips to look through. thanks

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I really love these two albums (Im not really up on the 100s of different house genres, but I guess you could classify them as down tempo/soulful/funky house):

Nigel Hayes - But Is It Art
    Pnau - Sambanova (From Australia)

Both have released more albums which are no where near as good as these two.

• some of my favorites are

Bob Sinclair
    Ettiene De Crecy
    Demon
    Bucketheads - The Bomb
    Moodyman
    John Aquaviva
    a lot of the stuff on Svek

• Hey. I've only been spinning house for a year or so, but i got into it through St. Germain and some dj's in the town I used to live in. I'm no expert by any means, but here are some of my favorites that you might get into if you like St. Germain.

Favorite house track, also a classic:
    http://www.dancerecords.com/audio/30012.ram

On the jazzier tip:
    Wes - Make with names
    http://www.primalrecords.com/ra11/12680.ram (Skip to 9:22 for a beautiful piano track)
    Francis Jilla & Johnny Drama (AKA Sound Republic) - Just a Little Oven
    http://www.dancerecords.com/audio/47195.ram (Skip til more than half way through the sample)
    Troydon - Straight Outta Jozi EP
    http://www.dancerecords.com/audio/58539.ram (The whole ep is cool)
    Also recommend digital minds.

On the techier tip... but i wouldn't really call it tech house
    Only Freak - Can't Get Away
    http://www.stompy.com/player.php?product_id=7768

A couple nice remixes of hip-hop tracks
    Sir Piers - Bonita Applebum Remix
    http://www.dancerecords.com/audio/34014.ram
    Sir Piers - After Hours ft. Monique Bingham
    http://www.dancerecords.com/audio/18569.ram

Demon

Demon remix of Mr.Oizo's - Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog..........

But I wouldnt call him a House producer. His Midnight Funk album is just electronica in many spintered styles. Some of can be played in big rooms but it aint that sweatbox shit.

• is anyone up on current mainstream house music? if so, can you drop some knowledge on the must-have house anthems...please!!

recently there have been a lot of jersey peoples coming into where i dj and that is all they want to hear. i know bob sinclair is a huge mainstream dude, but what are some of the specific songs i can keep in microwave for the nj guido types. this is def not topic for soulstrut, but since the thread is already here....

is anyone up on current mainstream house music? if so, can you drop some knowledge on the must-have house anthems...please!!

recently there have been a lot of jersey peoples coming into where i dj and that is all they want to hear. i know bob sinclair is a huge mainstream dude, but what are some of the specific songs i can keep in microwave for the nj guido types. this is def not topic for soulstrut, but since the thread is already here....

Hey KVH do u shop in Manhattan for music?

• nope, and i'd rather not pay for it.

nope, and i'd rather not pay for it.

• Fast Eddie Jack to the sound Lp is a killer Acid/hip house lp plenty of top tunes contained.

As a bit of an old house head here are some favorites

major cosine on Roy Davis Jnr Gabrielle fucking beautiful tune

Ce ce rogers-someday
    Jimi polo Better Days
    Phase 2 -reachin
    Raze -Break for Love (vaughn Mason from Bounce skate fame)
    Jamie principle -Baby wants to ride
    Sueno Latino-sueno latino (Manuel gottsching e2e4)
    Love cant turn around-farley jackmaster funk (vocal mix with darryl pandy screaming on it)
    Guy called gerald-Voodoo ray and FX
    808 state- Pacific state
    Acid tracks -Phuture (squelching 303 acid from 1986 so ahead of its time but not everyones cup of tea)
    frankie Knuckles-your love and Tears
    Mr Fingers-can you feel it
    Royal house- can you party
    Inner city- good life
    Peter bouncer- ravin Im ravin (Shut up at dance records)
    Aphrodisiac-Song to the siren (nu groove)
    Nervous Acid - Bobby Konders
    joey negro-do it believe it (nugroove)
    Marshall Jefferson - Move your Body
    Cassius - Cassius 99 (there first lp has some funky shit)
    That's the Way Love is - Ten City
    I'll House You - The Jungle Brothers
    Strings of Life - Rhythm is Rhythm
    Promised Land - Joe Smooth feat. Anthony Thomas

Newer stuff
    David Alvarado
    Moodyman
    Theo Parrish
    Kevin Yost
    Joe Clausell
    Funk D'Void

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Ce ce rogers-someday
    Jimi polo Better Days
    Phase 2 -reachin
    Raze -Break for Love (vaughn Mason from Bounce skate fame)
    Jamie principle -Baby wants to ride
    Love cant turn around-farley jackmaster funk (vocal mix with darryl pandy screaming on it)
    Guy called gerald-Voodoo ray and FX
    808 state- Pacific state
    Acid tracks -Phuture (squelching 303 acid from 1986 so ahead of its time but not everyones cup of tea)
    frankie Knuckles-your love and Tears
    Mr Fingers-can you feel it
    Royal house- can you party
    Inner city- good life
    Peter bouncer- ravin Im ravin (Shut up at dance records)
    Aphrodisiac-Song to the siren (nu groove)
    Nervous Acid - Bobby Konders
    joey negro-do it believe it (nugroove)
    Marshall Jefferson - Move your Body
    Cassius - Cassius 99 (there first lp has some funky shit)
    That's the Way Love is - Ten City
    I'll House You - The Jungle Brothers
    Strings of Life - Rhythm is Rhythm
    Promised Land - Joe Smooth feat. Anthony Thomas

Pretty much all of these are old school/acid era gems. Dunno how they'd go over with a younger crowd, though

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Get Rub-N-Tug's Fabric 30, its a little old as far as 'recent house' goes (omg came out nearly a year ago) but its a great example of whats good right now in house and "Discopolis" has been like THE ANTHEM for a year.

My favorite classic juke record is CZR's "Chicago House Experience" which there are like 61 used copies of on Amazon. Google it. Its like this perfect midpoint between Dance Mania-style juke house and the emerging filter disco sound.

Speaking of Dance Mania, there's a good comp of Dance Mania chicago juke house out there too.

90s house you've always got the big names - basement jaxx, daft punk, etc. My House in Montmartre is a good compilation of daft punk-esque house music, but don't forget the Crydamoure "Waves" and "Waves II" compilations, mixed by one half of daft punk and containing music from one of his imprints, straight filter disco.

Um. When it comes to fairly-recent eurohouse, I like Luomo, especially "The Present Lover." There are the digital disco comps on Luomo's label "Force Tracks." I like Get Physical (Get Physical Records 2nd Anniversary mixed by M.A.N.D.Y. is so neccessary) and Kompakt records (although Kompakts peak was prob. around 2002-3, circa Kompakt Total 3 + 4, Michael Mayer's Immer, etc). DJ Naughty's "One Night In Berlin," which came out last year, does a really great German club experience. Ricardo Villalobos does some more drugged out experimental stuff that can be zzz or great, depending on the recording (I recommend his Achso "EP" which is really album length). That's recent euro shit that is pretty great and avoids the pitfalls of cheesy rave trance and alternately the pitfalls of irritatingly overthought IDM. I.E. you want to dance to it.

Talking about recent big populist stuff, JJ Flores+ Steve Smooth's "Time For Love," the Deep Dish "Dreams" feat. Stevie Nicks, M.A.N.D.Y.'s "Mandarine Girl," Freeform 5's "No More Conversations" mylo remix are all pretty good. These are pretty much all a year old but i don't pay close attention to mainstream house that much. Not that its bad! Actually one of my favorite records is a mainstream house mix: Big Floor Funk by Richard Humpty Vission[/url] is one big drunken uptempo party, high energy and like 42 songs colliding over the course of an hour.

Someone mentioned Armand Van Helden - his album "2 Future 4 U" is a straight classic as far as I'm concerned, if for "Flowers" alone, although obviously "U Don't Know Me" was the big hit and "Entra Mi Casa" is one of the hottest things ever. Don't forget Strictly Rhythm for the ny house sound either - there's a great 2 disc mix here: http://www.discogs.com/release/654750

Frankly I think lots of early 90s pop house (crystal waters, black box, cece peniston) has all aged remarkably well and I've sort of been waiting for a hipster revival that hasn't come. "Finally, it has happened to me..."

As far as classic Chicago house they've been reissuing everything lately - the SO NECCESSARY trax pickup is the 3-disc set, (2 discs mixed, one unmixed) that serves as a history of trax records, although you'll probably want one of those single-disc histories as well since the trax set misses classic shit on DJ International like "Promised Land" and the Jackmaster Funk cover of Isaac Hayes "Love Can't Turn Around."

2nd Wave Chicago house is pretty great too, Cajmere/Green Velvet records have aged incredibly well.

Another good mix that really covers the area between disco going into house is Frankie Knuckles' Move Your Body: The Evolution of Chicago House, esp. disc one.

Also, searching around for some information = WHOA:
    http://www.discogs.com/release/43501

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Derrick May remix of this is WHOA

ALSO FORGOT!
    Derrick Carter's "About Now" is an amazing mix. When you reach "Disco Boogie" it couldn't arrive too soon.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    CZR's "Chicago House Experience"

Some good reccomendations, except for that. That late-'90s disco filter stuff aged very badly, Armand Van Helden included. A lot of the producers would just grab a loop, add a few effects and call it a day. It ammounted to really watered down disco. Plus CZR tried to pull a Bad Boy Bill and mix like 30 seconds of a lot of songs, at least as far as I remember -- my girlfriend a long time ago bought that CD and would play it nonstop.

And I would steer clear of the Trax reissues. For some reason, I'm under the impression that the label screwed over most of its artists and is just a shady company.

A few of my favorite DJs:

--Three Chairs (Moodyman, Theo Parrish, and the third guy who I can never remember)
    --Derrick Carter
    --Miles Maeda
    --Gene Farris
    --Metro Area
    --Tony Humphries
    --Kenny Dope

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    CZR's "Chicago House Experience"

Some good reccomendations, except for that. That late-'90s disco filter stuff aged very badly, Armand Van Helden included. A lot of the producers would just grab a loop, add a few effects and call it a day. It ammounted to really watered down disco. Plus CZR tried to pull a Bad Boy Bill and mix like 30 seconds of a lot of songs, at least as far as I remember -- my girlfriend a long time ago bought that CD and would play it nonstop.

And I would steer clear of the Trax reissues. For some reason, I'm under the impression that the label screwed over most of its artists and is just a shady company.
    Whoa totally disagree; first the CZR mix came out in '97 so the music is from earlier, and I think that filter disco shit is beyond classic. Easy to make or not its about dancing, not the 'craft' of track construction, and that CZR mix is one of the most compulsively danceable mixes I've ever heard. Yeah of course there's shitty filter disco but songs like CZR's "Southside" are classic records, period.

As for Trax...yeah they've had a shady history, but the history of chicago house is pretty much trax records so if you want the music you've got to deal with that company, thats just the way it is.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Thats cool you cats got the house basics down, lets dig further...

I got really into the whole London Nu-House phase of the late 90's. Pretty much turned me into a house head, before then I was spinning electro, techno, hip-hop and whatever.

Idjut Boys, Raj Gupta, Crispin J. Glover or Glovers AKA's (Caucasian Boy, South Central, Century Falls, Sleaze, Crime, Motif, etc), Fuzz against Junk, Tiny Trendies, Laj and Quakerman, Ray Mang, early Dj Buck, any of the Matrix Records are great, U-Star, Noid, early Paper, Nuphonic, etc.

The whole 20:20 Vision early pioneers like Random Factor were and still are very, very dope. Check "Too fast the Future" by Random Factor... Pre-dated the whole Land Shark thing by years... and is still a sweet record by any standard.

All you haters, need to check a bit deeper.