"Want to know more"...essential house

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Plus CZR tried to pull a Bad Boy Bill and mix like 30 seconds of a lot of songs, at least as far as I remember
    I should also mention that when yr listening to juke house this isn't abnormal! Dudes don't play out some dude yelling "SHAKE THAT" for 7 minutes or something.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This the last "House" Lp I copped. Not essential but interesting.

• Here is a great site for new house and essential tracks you need. http://www.traxsource.com/

• Here's a link to my favorite house mix, Raoul Belmans live at Mint.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9wcanx

Raoul is part of Swirl People and runs Aroma records, a favorite of mine. http://www.discogs.com/label/Aroma

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I very much enjoy chicago/detriot 90s house as well as french house.

most of the good shit from those areas has been covered 

as far as newer house goes Alan Braxe is my favorite producer. Get your hands on any of his shit.

other mentions go to

crazy penis
    midnight juggernaughts
    chromeo
    discount rhinos
    ben watt

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think that filter disco shit is beyond classic. Easy to make or not its about dancing, not the 'craft' of track construction

Yeah but I believe what he's saying is you're better off listening to the original disco records sampled than a shitty remix 9 times out of 10

And since it hasn't been mentioned yet you can find mixes free for download from '79 to present here, so regardless of what era you're interested in its probably covered

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty much all of these are old school/acid era gems. Dunno how they'd go over with a younger crowd, though

As far as I can tell he just wants stuff to listen to, and most of the time the classics would fit the bill far more than current hits there

• I don't listen to too much house but if the deep disco sound is your steez:

erot remix of thomas chrome "the real jazz"
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/up2rq3

• I cant believe I forgot to mention the deephousepage mix archive they have 1300 mixes going back to the beginings of house and its disco origins
    Deephousepage.com mix archives

Search for
    WBMX
    Frankie knuckles
    Ron Hardy
    Marshall Jefferson
    Larry Levan (disco)
    etc

It is a pretty mind boggling collection

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think that filter disco shit is beyond classic. Easy to make or not its about dancing, not the 'craft' of track construction

Yeah but I believe what he's saying is you're better off listening to the original disco records sampled than a shitty remix 9 times out of 10

And since it hasn't been mentioned yet you can find mixes free for download from '79 to present here, so regardless of what era you're interested in its probably covered

That totally misses the point of filter-disco, its like saying you'd rather hear Leon Haywood than "Nuthin But a G Thang"

here's some MORE RAER-type house and techno, a great mix by DJ Deep that came out this year called CITY TO CITY VOL. 2

http://www.discogs.com/release/722407

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

That totally misses the point of filter-disco, its like saying you'd rather hear Leon Haywood than "Nuthin But a G Thang"

here's some MORE RAER-type house and techno, a great mix by DJ Deep that came out this year called CITY TO CITY VOL. 2

http://www.discogs.com/release/722407

Not really. That would put a dude like CZR or Rick Garcia alongside Dre. Those filter disco records are pretty crappy. Most house DJs worse their salt haved filtered them out of their collection and moved on. Maybe "Southside Chicago" makes an appearnace every once in a while but you can find most of that stuff in 50 cent bins. Those records were made in about 30 minutes and it sounds like it. CZR may be big in the hard house-slash-Latino scene but I never catch that guy spinning for like a strictly house crowd.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    No, that isn't like comparing Dre to CZR. Maybe I'd compare Daft Punk to Dre, or something. There were plenty of rap producers who sampled and made shitty songs, and there are plenty of house producers who made great filter disco. My point is that filter disco house went for a totally different sound than the disco it was sampling - you can't even tell me that the Disco Dudes' "Boogie Down" sounds anything like the song it samples. I'm totally aware that this shit isn't hot right now and yr not gonna find many DJs still playing it but I don't buy that its shitty music for a second; plenty of filter disco is great, whether you're talking about the original chicago shit or the french 2nd wave stuff, it was a new sound that still influences house music now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Future Sound Of Chicago Volume 2

^^^Another great 2nd wave house mix.

Also, Felix Da Housecat's Radikal Fear comp from his Radikal fear label

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Fast Eddie Jack to the sound Lp is a killer Acid/hip house lp plenty of top tunes contained.

As a bit of an old house head here are some favorites

major cosine on Roy Davis Jnr Gabrielle fucking beautiful tune

Ce ce rogers-someday
    Jimi polo Better Days
    Phase 2 -reachin
    Raze -Break for Love (vaughn Mason from Bounce skate fame)
    Jamie principle -Baby wants to ride
    Sueno Latino-sueno latino (Manuel gottsching e2e4)
    Love cant turn around-farley jackmaster funk (vocal mix with darryl pandy screaming on it)
    Guy called gerald-Voodoo ray and FX
    808 state- Pacific state
    Acid tracks -Phuture (squelching 303 acid from 1986 so ahead of its time but not everyones cup of tea)
    frankie Knuckles-your love and Tears
    Mr Fingers-can you feel it
    Royal house- can you party
    Inner city- good life
    Peter bouncer- ravin Im ravin (Shut up at dance records)
    Aphrodisiac-Song to the siren (nu groove)
    Nervous Acid - Bobby Konders
    joey negro-do it believe it (nugroove)
    Marshall Jefferson - Move your Body
    Cassius - Cassius 99 (there first lp has some funky shit)
    That's the Way Love is - Ten City
    I'll House You - The Jungle Brothers
    Strings of Life - Rhythm is Rhythm
    Promised Land - Joe Smooth feat. Anthony Thomas

That's a great list of tunes.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    word loads of good recomendations here.

check out the mixes pages on djhistory for some goods.. listening to a sweet early 90's house mix as i type this.

personally i gravitate towards the weeded out cosmic / balaeric end of the spectrum.. but really its hard to go wrong with an 808, ms20, a dash of dx7 a gay dude and a fat black lady from his local church on vox circa 85 - 90.

would post more but i gotta jet to band practice

havent posted much recently as my house is in chaos.. renoing my basment ..puttin in the studio..sweeeet...