renegade - terrorist
    dj ss - lighter
    photek - ni ten ichi ryu
    reprazent - brown paper bag
    peshay - piano tune
    q-project - champion sound
    j majik - your sound

Know & like these. Here's a few:

NuYorican Soul "Black Gold Of The Sun" 4 Hero remix (white label)
    Peshay "Nocturnal (Back On The Firm)" (Metalheadz)
    DJ Zinc "Not Ready" (white label)
    Photek "U.F.O. b/w Rings Around Saturn" (PTK Records)
    Dillinja "So Damn Tuff" (Test)
    Lemon D "12:01" (Valve)
    Funky Technicians "Air Tight" (white label)
    T-Power vs MK Ultra "Mutant Jazz" (S.O.U.R.)
    D'Cruze "Chronic Break" (Suburban Bass)
    DJ C "Billy Jungle" (Mashit)
    Holdtight "Mr Brown" (white label)
    X-Project ft Rebel MC "Jungle Flow" (Congo Natty)
    The Streets "Has It Come To This?" High Contrast remix
    DJ Marky & Patife "So Tinha Que Ser Com Voce" Cosmonautics remix (V Recordings)
    St Cal "Red Light b/w Little Man"
    Quantic "Mishaps Happening" Nu:Tone remix (Tru Thoughts)
    John B "American Girls" (white label)
    Dillinja "In The Mood" (Mo Wax)
    DJ Food "Fungle Junk" (Ninja Tune)
    Adam F "Circles"

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Does anybody still listen to dnb? That stuff should have died a quick death long ago.

US Warren was the first and last word in dnb.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    dnb is actually pretty big out in my area of Pennsylvania. its kinda sad. There is like 4 nights a week at a couple different bars where its just dnb. But yet you cant get a hip hop or rare groove jazz night even as a monthly out here. I honestly cannot stand dnb. I think it all sounds ridiculous and is just irritating.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Does anybody still listen to dnb? That stuff should have died a quick death long ago.

a lot of people do. why should it have died a quick death long ago?
    maybe drum and bass is not strong in the US, but it works in Germany, UK and currently especially in East Europe. I am not a huge fan of todays drum and bass, but there is some new creative stuff available (Calibre, Marcus Intalex, Paradox, Hospital recordings aso). IMO this is still the most creative electronic dance music. A nice drum and bass party simply kicks ass.

US Warren was the first and last word in dnb.
    who?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I still listen to the "Salt Water Fish" remix that Peshay did--it's pure

• Jungle and Drum-N-Bass both had an interesting run. Seems like it hit a creative wall a minute ago.
    Didny I read in a recent magazine the Hank Shocklee's new material is D-N-B?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    SUPA SHARP SHOOTER

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

One of the reasons that I posted up the link to that Drum&Bass forum was because I hoped people like you might wonder why another group of music enthusiasts have a sufficiently wide scope of listening interests to be able to name a top twenty from a different genre. There could have easily been similarly snide answers on that forum that hip hop should have died a death, and who would blame them considering the current scene (see CLASSIC HIPHOP 98-06 and the problems the thread threw up in trying to agree if there had in fact been any bona fide classic albums).
    One of the problems I find with this board is that aside from digging up the old, tastes in modern music here seem very narrow - every time I see Motown's New Record Reviews Thread, I think for a moment that it's a thread reviewing NEW records... but no (and that's not a diss to J**l's reviews, either). Considering the number of club-playing DJs that frequent this place, I would expect to see a little more talk about new records, and new genres of music - if something you have little experience of hasn't died a death yet, and it has no problems filling up clubs and shifting units, isn't it worth investigating? I keep an eye out on the dubstep thing, and for the most part, wonder what all of the fuss is about, keep listening, keep waiting for something that strikes a chord with me as a listener, because I sure as hell know lots of people are into it, and hey presto something comes along. How many music fans will turn there noses up at the words "funk - yes, from the 1970s" until they've heard it? How many will wonder why people cling on to something that to most of the world HAS died a death already.

• lk (carolina carol bela) - dj marky and xrs
    uncut- midnight (killlller this shit was a huuuuuge as song)
    im a junglist (i cant for the life of me remember who did this tribe of something)
    ez rollers- tough at at the top
    dj zinc- ready or not rinse out
    dj ss- lighta
    ufo!- enemy infiltration- this shit is fucking hard as fucking fuck. he is from frisco... then he moved to NY and came back... now he makes really bad guitar emo on some "i never got over the girl who left me in the 4th grade" type shit.. but UFO! will forever be dope because of enemy infiltration.

not really jungle but more IDM... squarepusher- port rhombus... shit is murder

blue sonic- devil inside
    kosheen- slip n slide suicide
    cleveland lounge- drowning ak1200 rmx

there was this kid that went to irvine who did a jungle rmx of the gary jules version of mad mad world... heard it out a bunch of times but it was one of those cutty ass songs that killed dancefloors but no one knew.

there is alot of really good jungle,dnb,ragga shit out there... im going to have to go home and look through some old records now to remember some shit. but at least in the bay there were a few factors that killed jungle parties...

trainspotters- we used to go out and dance... but then fools just started dj watching and shit got boring.... whatever happened to "fuck off and dance"

dark step- this shit just took over and was on some sped up metal type shit. not really fun

cocaine- hipster kids took over and cocaine fucked up alot of parties.

the grime shit is big now in the uk... alot of jungle mcs who just didnt do well do grime now. i wonder whatever happened to skibadee.... fool was dope.

but beyond dizzee rascal, im really liking kano and lethal b. wiley fer sure too.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    lk (carolina carol bela) - dj marky and xrs
    im a junglist (i cant for the life of me remember who did this tribe of something)
    dj ss- lighta
    ufo!- enemy infiltration- this shit is fucking hard as fucking fuck. he is from frisco... then he moved to NY and came back... now he makes really bad guitar emo on some "i never got over the girl who left me in the 4th grade" type shit.. but UFO! will forever be dope because of enemy infiltration.

blue sonic- devil inside

there was this kid that went to irvine who did a jungle rmx of the gary jules version of mad mad world... heard it out a bunch of times but it was one of those cutty ass songs that killed dancefloors but no one knew.

there is alot of really good jungle,dnb,ragga shit out there... im going to have to go home and look through some old records now to remember some shit. but at least in the bay there were a few factors that killed jungle parties...

trainspotters- we used to go out and dance... but then fools just started dj watching and shit got boring.... whatever happened to "fuck off and dance"

dark step- this shit just took over and was on some sped up metal type shit. not really fun

the grime shit is big now in the uk... alot of jungle mcs who just didnt do well do grime now. i wonder whatever happened to skibadee.... fool was dope.

but beyond dizzee rascal, im really liking kano and lethal b. wiley fer sure too.

Wow.

This post is hilarity to me.

First of all, Skibbadee is wack as fuck... and is easily one of the worst MC's in jungle history! Period. He's only in the place he is through people knowing people.

Judging from your countdown, you got into the music around '99-'00?

I do agree that Port Rhombus is great. Midnight was a pretty good track as well.

Now, a greater rant...

Why should D&B be more "over" than anything else? Don't get me wrong, I personally think that it died (as a creative whole) in '98-'99... but people still like it's current output. The same argument can probably be made about any style of music, no?

I can think of one artist whithin current D&B that I like. His name is Amit. He's pretty good. Check him out. MK Ultra & Too Many Freedoms are pretty good. He's a real nice guy too.

Out of UK, Dubstep is the most interesting thing going on right now.

Loefah, Burial, Vex'd. ----- Check these artists out, if you already haven't. (Especially Loefah it you like bassmusic... www.myspace.com/loefah... check "Disco Wreckah")

• I would have stopped listening to dnb years ago...

if i was soft

• lk (carolina carol bela) - dj marky and xrs
    dj ss- lighta

blue sonic- devil inside

Wow.

This post is hilarity to me.

First of all, Skibbadee is wack as fuck... and is easily one of the worst MC's in jungle history! Period. He's only in the place he is through people knowing people.

Judging from your countdown, you got into the music around '99-'00?

I do agree that Port Rhombus is great. Midnight was a pretty good track as well.

Now, a greater rant...

Why should D&B be more "over" than anything else? Don't get me wrong, I personally think that it died (as a creative whole) in '98-'99... but people still like it's current output. The same argument can probably be made about any style of music, no?

I can think of one artist whithin current D&B that I like. His name is Amit. He's pretty good. Check him out. MK Ultra & Too Many Freedoms are pretty good. He's a real nice guy too.

Out of UK, Dubstep is the most interesting thing going on right now.

Loefah, Burial, Vex'd. ----- Check these artists out, if you already haven't. (Especially Loefah it you like bassmusic... www.myspace.com/loefah... check "Disco Wreckah")

99-00 yeah that was when there was a ton of shit jumping off in the bay. but are you implying that i am not "junglist trill" and that your are more "junglist trill" than i because you enjoyed drum n bass "when it was good" while the jungle i was listening to was creatively dead?

because i thought someone posted this to comment on the percieved narrow mindedness of 'strutters re: other genres of music. and i commented in turn to make a refute for the contrary.

you my friend, are not contributing in a creatively constructive way.

point being, whether you meant to come off condescending or not... if you dont have anything nice to say then maybe you shouldnt say anything at all.

soulstrut doesnt need the hate.

soulstrut is all about the PLUR

and breakbeat.com/drum n bass arena must have agreed with my opinion on skibadee when they had him in their top 3 jungle mcs back in 00/01

or were you the lone "trill" lurker at the back of parties sulking because skibadee is wack as fuck

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

One of the reasons that I posted up the link to that Drum&Bass forum was because I hoped people like you might wonder why another group of music enthusiasts have a sufficiently wide scope of listening interests to be able to name a top twenty from a different genre. There could have easily been similarly snide answers on that forum that hip hop should have died a death, and who would blame them considering the current scene (see CLASSIC HIPHOP 98-06 and the problems the thread threw up in trying to agree if there had in fact been any bona fide classic albums).
    One of the problems I find with this board is that aside from digging up the old, tastes in modern music here seem very narrow - every time I see Motown's New Record Reviews Thread, I think for a moment that it's a thread reviewing NEW records... but no (and that's not a diss to J**l's reviews, either). Considering the number of club-playing DJs that frequent this place, I would expect to see a little more talk about new records, and new genres of music - if something you have little experience of hasn't died a death yet, and it has no problems filling up clubs and shifting units, isn't it worth investigating? I keep an eye out on the dubstep thing, and for the most part, wonder what all of the fuss is about, keep listening, keep waiting for something that strikes a chord with me as a listener, because I sure as hell know lots of people are into it, and hey presto something comes along. How many music fans will turn there noses up at the words "funk - yes, from the 1970s" until they've heard it? How many will wonder why people cling on to something that to most of the world HAS died a death already.

Drum-N-Bass and Jungle didnt have the 30+year runs that Rock-N-Roll/Funk/Jazz/HipHop have. It never even challenged the pop landscape. It was a good underground dance movement.
    I own a handful of vinyl/cds of the both genres but shit really petered out IMO. I was spinning while Jungle/DnB was hot and could/would incorporate shit into my HipHop/Electronica/Jazz sets. The magic just fizzled out eventually. The sections in nthe record stores started to dwindle and the Becky's didnt request it anymore. Shit happens and the diehards stay w/ it. Dont get asshurt if cats dont check for it anymore - there's a reason.

It was a good underground dance movement.
    The sections in nthe record stores started to dwindle and the Becky's didnt request it anymore. Shit happens and the diehards stay w/ it. Dont get asshurt if cats dont check for it anymore - there's a reason.

It still is a good and very lively "underground" dance music movement. Maybe D&B had its prime in the mid 90s, where it was by far the most interesting stuff around (and regarding electronic dance music it still is IMO). Current D&B production has a lot of creativity, which is very hard to find in Hip-Hop.
    The record stores here still sell the quality D&B 12" like hot cakes and there are many succesful club nights around. Many young kids start to listen to the stuff.
    There is much more than a small die-hard junglist club - at least over here.

• vhsvhs 18 Posts
    I think Paradox does nice stuff, genre titles aside it's just good music. I'm no expert on the genre but I haven't heard anyone touch his production styles when it comes to chopping and arranging drums he's one of a kind, think he still sequences on an old Amiga? Other than his shit it seemed like the dnb 'format' was pretty much as exciting as trance music and if I heard correctly dnb tunes even adopted those horrible trance dramatic drum roll buildups that finish with the 909 crash. The shit died for sure but I think Paradox did shit his own way, avoids the played out forumulas and actually TRIES to make something that can work without a dancefloor imo.

Current D&B production has a lot of creativity, which is very hard to find in Hip-Hop.

Creative Hip Hop production is not VERY hard to find. And its not stuck at a certain BPM.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

you're thinking of this

lots of different rmxs for it though.....

d&b is a bit slow now but like any genre there are some bright lights shining through. You just have to do the work to dig beneath the surface. I particularly like nu:tone's work.

You can replace d&b and insert any electronic genre, the discussion on soulstrut will unfold the same. It's just the way things work here....

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    i like some jungle doggie
    ed rush optical(the raven is my jam)
    andy c ? i think
    also high contrast i have a really good rafdio set by him
    pendulum sounds strange but i like high five

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    It was a good underground dance movement.
    The sections in nthe record stores started to dwindle and the Becky's didnt request it anymore. Shit happens and the diehards stay w/ it. Dont get asshurt if cats dont check for it anymore - there's a reason.

It still is a good and very lively "underground" dance music movement. Maybe D&B had its prime in the mid 90s, where it was by far the most interesting stuff around (and regarding electronic dance music it still is IMO). Current D&B production has a lot of creativity, which is very hard to find in Hip-Hop.
    The record stores here still sell the quality D&B 12" like hot cakes and there are many succesful club nights around. Many young kids start to listen to the stuff.
    There is much more than a small die-hard junglist club - at least over here.

cosign on piedpiper...i was raised on dnb in the 90s and learned to beatmatch with this sound...and it is still going strong today, at least over here. we have a regular night out called massive tunes attracting 300-600 people every 2 months. the scene is just very independent and not so trendy like hiphop is from time to time. its all about dancing. and good memories. hell, we even had dr s gadget over in 94 as one of the first british dnb djs, and all this in a small effin town on the dutch border. people over here which are good friends of mine keep that sound alive. i still go to parties from time to time or buy a record if i like it. no hate on dnb. and it did survive the tried on popabsorbtion which no other genre of music has. thats why it is still to me one of the most purest forms of music in terms of independence, eventhough the format is so tight...

I think Paradox does nice stuff, genre titles aside it's just good music. I'm no expert on the genre but I haven't heard anyone touch his production styles when it comes to chopping and arranging drums he's one of a kind, think he still sequences on an old Amiga?
    The shit died for sure but I think Paradox did shit his own way, avoids the played out forumulas and actually TRIES to make something that can work without a dancefloor imo.

I saw a Paradox live act two months back. Dude was - live with keyboards and amiga sequencer and the crowd went bazerk. He has a unique style to chop up breaks and he still manages to create new ways to use the amen.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Drum-N-Bass and Jungle didnt have the 30+year runs that Rock-N-Roll/Funk/Jazz/HipHop have. It never even challenged the pop landscape. It was a good underground dance movement.
    I own a handful of vinyl/cds of the both genres but shit really petered out IMO. I was spinning while Jungle/DnB was hot and could/would incorporate shit into my HipHop/Electronica/Jazz sets. The magic just fizzled out eventually. The sections in nthe record stores started to dwindle and the Becky's didnt request it anymore. Shit happens and the diehards stay w/ it. Dont get asshurt if cats dont check for it anymore - there's a reason.

The point of this thread wasn't meant to be in defence of jungle/D'n'B, or as a an appreciation post, it was lamenting the narrow-minded scope of musical topics on this board regarding new genres of music (NEW as in sample based, elctronica or whatever you want to call post '90s stuff).

I don't care if anybody here likes jungle or not, but as I said, for a place with so many DJs posting, it's pretty lame that if it aint rap it's a minority interest...

Plus, the records in my twenty selections vary from '94 through to the '06, and none of them are weak imho. There was definately a period from '98 to '01 that saw a lack of good ideas in D'n'B for my ears, but shit came to life when Brazil got really into D'n'B and melody moved back into the clubs in a big way.

I don't care if anybody here likes jungle or not, but as I said, for a place with so many DJs posting, it's pretty lame that if it aint rap it's a minority interest...

What are talkin about?
    Dudes on herr talk about alot of stuff besides "Rapp".
    And cant you READ THE SIGN UP top.
    You sound a little sensitive 'cause cats arent blowin this thread up w/ replies.
    Maybe a Barbershop Quartet vinyl discussion is due to show you some diversity.

Electronica old and new gets discussed here, maybe not at the rate you'd prefer.

but shit came to life when Brazil got really into D'n'B and melody moved back into the clubs in a big way.

Where?

but shit came to life when Brazil got really into D'n'B and melody moved back into the clubs in a big way.

Shit came to life? There was that one great Patife track, Sambasim, and then tonnes of derivative works that illustrated the limitations of drum n bass and the quality of the original cuts that dnb producers were raping.

• drum n bass is still going and going strong.

i love my soul 45s, but i love my dnb too.

here's a current top 20 of stuff im playing alot at the moment.

Artifical Intelligence - Movin' on (DJ Marky & Bungle Remix)
    Kubics and Lomax - Edge City
    Invaderz - Mainline
    Atlantic Connection - Situations
    Marcus Intalex - Refreshed
    Calibre - Release Me
    Dillinja - Expansions
    Future Engineers - Eon
    Stress Level & TC1 - Waves
    Theory - Conquering Lion
    Marky & Bungle - No Time To Love
    Spirit - Re-Dial
    Blame - Inside Heart
    Seba and Robert Manos - Heaven Sent
    Chase and Status w/Jenna G - In Love
    Mistical - Just a Little Herb
    Visionary - Soul Fire
    Stakka - Griffin
    Basic Operations - Southern Lights
    Task Horizon - Sex Machine

Great stuff out at the moment.

I'll try to post a link later to a few recent dnb mixes ive done.

Some of those tracks are just embarrassing. When are we going to get the happy hardcore massive going on about their favourite tracks? What about the epic trance DJs? Just because it gets made and people like it doesn't meant it's any good (cause it's usually not).

Shit came to life? There was that one great Patife track, Sambasim, and then tonnes of derivative works that illustrated the limitations of drum n bass and the quality of the original cuts that dnb producers were raping.

co-sign on the limitations of this Brasil movement. that was a wack hype.
    But: there are tons of wacks tuff in any genre and that does not illustrate limitations of the genre itself.

Talking about drum and bass coming back to life (it wasn??t dead, but...), I would say it was more the so-called "liquid funk" stuff that did it: Hospital recordings, calibre, doc scott, marcus intalex, dj fabio promoting the shit & creative source aso

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

What are talkin about?
    Dudes on herr talk about alot of stuff besides "Rapp".
    And cant you READ THE SIGN UP top.
    You sound a little sensitive 'cause cats arent blowin this thread up w/ replies.
    Maybe a Barbershop Quartet vinyl discussion is due to show you some diversity.

Electronica old and new gets discussed here, maybe not at the rate you'd prefer.

the truth as usual, falls somewhere in the middle. Folks here are a lot more close minded than you imagine, but certainly more open minded than duderonomy has given them credit for.

He does have a point though.

and danno - OH SNAP! hah

ps: I heart hospital records

• ps: I heart hospital records

Cyantific f. Matrix - Cover Story is easily one of the best songs I've heard all year across any genre.