Anyone here use Acid (software, not LSD-related)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I'd like to know if anyone here uses Acid (4.0 or 5.0). If so, is there a good way to pitch shift? I need to step up my remix game.Thanks.

Comments

• right click and select octave +/-?

i dunno it works okay, but not as good as some other programs. there are also some vst's you can get like "true pitch" etc.

i used to use 4 and 5.0. i just got acid 6.0 but i haven't really had too much time to use it yet.

good luck!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Sup Ross Hogg,
    I am a regular Acid user.

Yes, a pitch shift is easy. If you have the waveform drawn out on the timeline, select it and you can hit your plus or minus keys to switch that shit up and down a semitone at a time. If you have the track set up as a oneshot, it will shift the pitch and stretch the time, just like a turntable. If you have it set as a loop, it will keep the same tempo and change pitch.

Peace,
    DCastillo

• Sup Ross Hogg,

Yes, a pitch shift is easy. If you have the waveform drawn out on the timeline, select it and you can hit your plus or minus keys to switch that shit up and down a semitone at a time. If you have the track set up as a oneshot, it will shift the pitch and stretch the time, just like a turntable. If you have it set as a loop, it will keep the same tempo and change pitch.

Peace,
    DCastillo

Thanks Dave.

'Nother question: let's say I have two tracks in Acid: one's a beat, the other's an acapella. Can I select the acapella track and have the pitch change ONLY on the acapella?

Also, how do I keep it the same speed? Set it as a loop (even if I don't want to loop it)?

Now I'm excited to fix some things. TAKE THAT, B.CAUSE!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Sup Ross Hogg,

Peace,
    DCastillo

Thanks Dave.

'Nother question: let's say I have two tracks in Acid: one's a beat, the other's an acapella. Can I select the acapella track and have the pitch change ONLY on the acapella?

Also, how do I keep it the same speed? Set it as a loop (even if I don't want to loop it)?

Now I'm excited to fix some things. TAKE THAT, B.CAUSE!

Ah yes. Now, you can have this a-capella set up as a 'beatmapped' track. (go into the track properties and you can set it this way). Then you can set where the beat starts in the verse, set some looping points and such in this beatmapping window, and when you pitch it up, it will hold to the project tempo. The quality however, is a little questionable when pitching things too much.

In all honesty I'd be taking out a calculator, using a 3rd party time stretching plugin (like pitch n time or that waves plugin) to get it to the right pitch and bpm. Then I'd save and re-import this pre-pitched track into acid and line it up with the beat.

By the way, all pitch shifting in Acid is independent of the other elements. Like, if you have only the acapella selected and pitch that, it's not going to fuck with the beat or any other waveforms you have in the timeline.

• beatmapping is not so great in Acid. i think it works better if you use beatmeister to calculate bpms and then just set it to the track.

• By the way, all pitch shifting in Acid is independent of the other elements. Like, if you have only the acapella selected and pitch that, it's not going to fuck with the beat or any other waveforms you have in the timeline.

Actually, if you set a base key/note for all of your samples/tracks, and then set a base key/note for the project, Acid will pitch shift all tracks to the project's key. I started off doing my pitch shifting this way, but found I rarely needed that level of pitch shifting. It was easier just to +/- individual tracks as needed.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    beatmapping is not so great in Acid. i think it works better if you use beatmeister to calculate bpms and then just set it to the track.

AGREED.

• beatmapping is not so great in Acid. i think it works better if you use beatmeister to calculate bpms and then just set it to the track.

AGREED.

Okay, more questions.

If I have two tracks in Acid (see my above post) and I set the bpm, it'll set it for the whole project (i.e., both tracks), right? I notice that it's always defaulted to 120 bpm. Do I need to change the default settings?

OR do I need to record the acapella in a separate Acid project, then set the bpm to whatever the beat is, and import the acapella into the same project as the beat?

Thanks, Folks!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    when i drag in 3 samples from the same record that are at the same speed, acid changes the tempo of the 2nd and 3rd samples. how do i stop this from happening and just keep them all at the same tempo?

• The first track you drag in with the beat mapping plugin will set the tempo (though you can uncheck this in the final steps). If you just want to use it to multitrack then change the track properties from beat mapped to one shot. It will just play out at the original tempo.

If you use this, then your set to ignore the track tempo. If youre adding loops, or using the beat mapping function you need to change the project tempo. You can either check the box to do this while in the final stages of beat mapping, or you can right click on the track and say "set project tempo" or something.