So, what's your favourite aussie rekkid?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Just sitting here bored at work and thought to myself, do the overseas heads get into aussie rekkids? And if so, what ones do they like, if any?So what's your thing? Are you big on the Qasar drums, is it the daly wilosn rekkids with 'dirty feet', or did you come out here in the mide 90s with your olds and find a box of Arena Lps sitting outside a dry cleaners in Surry Hills?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Aussie records SUCK

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Just sitting here bored at work and thought to myself, do the overseas heads get into aussie rekkids? And if so, what ones do they like, if any?

So what's your thing? Are you big on the Qasar drums, is it the daly wilosn rekkids with 'dirty feet', or did you come out here in the mide 90s with your olds and find a box of Arena Lps sitting outside a dry cleaners in Surry Hills?

Duh.....

• slushslush 691 Posts
    GALAPAGOS DUCK

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Aussie records SUCK
    let the hate begin.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I want didjeridu funk (NoJamiroquai, even though I did like those tunes (one of the only ones)). Sheep mentioned something Didjerifunky,don't recall though.

A lotta Aussie stuff I've heard just doesn't hit the spot. Anyone have a clipraer of Dr Tree?
    Peace
    T.N.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just listened to a couple CD mixes of all Aussie and New Zealand releases that I got in two recent Vinyl Vulture swaps.

Things that stood out were:

Daly Wilson - have 3 of their LPs, one I really like, the other 2 were OK and I just recently traded them in
    Headband - New Zealand
    Don Burrows Quartet - Australia
    Golden Horn Big Band- New Zealand
    John Sangster - Australia

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I played this one on the radio today:

Although, it's actually a US record where they re-recorded all their Australian songs for the US market, cause

Aussie records SUCK

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

RIP

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    From what I actually have,

the best cuts:

Galpagous Duck - Removalists theme
    George Golla - The Dancers
    Sue Barker - Whats going on

the best LP's:

Sue Barker - S/T
    Jazz Co-op - S/T
    Arena - S/T

Honourable mentions:

Daly Wilson 'The Exciting', Jackie Orzacksky 'Berimedia' and The Johnny Rocco Band

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Don Burrows on Cherry Pie

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Sue Barker - S/T

i second that! just the "love to the people" joint alone kills me!

if anyone has a spare copy, i will cook you nice kong pau chicken and wash all your dishes just to have that.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    its an elusive one kenny, if I hear of anything tho ...

Don had lots of records on Cherry Pie - at a guess you're referring to his funkiest work, 'The Tasman Connection'

its an elusive one kenny, if I hear of anything tho ...

Don had lots of records on Cherry Pie - at a guess you're referring to his funkiest work, 'The Tasman Connection'

I havent heard all his Cherry Pie stuff,... Tashman Connection (wave on the cover) has a couple of nice cuts, the electric(gangsta)organ sounds maaad dope on the title trk,...There's another Don Burrows record, cant remember the title of it, gatefold cover, light brownish airbrushy earthy with some grass or something.... I remember it has some nice electric moments also...

The Galapagos Duck LP's Removalists and St James (the only two I know) are OK too.

The Stratusphunk(Cumquat) and CrossFire(Harvest) joints has a break each, but are not really me kind of ish...

If anybody has any Aussie area 70's jazzfunk recomendations please holla !!!

peace-

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Terntable Jediz - All Out War

Wow, thats a dopeass cover !!!

Everyone's mentioned good stuff.

For me, two records that i wasn't impressed with when I first heard them, but totally love now, are:

Jazz Co/op - s/t 2LP
    Sue Barker - s/t LP

Both killers, and pretty hard to track down. I only got the Jazz Co/op a couple of weeks back.

There's heaps of good stuff out there though, and a lot of it isn't really well known outside our borders.

word, my boy HAMS on the design... recognize.

oh yeah, what you know about the "quattro jazz quartet" from Sydney on the 44 label... funkiest vibes I heard from Australia...

peace.

word, my boy HAMS on the design... recognize.

oh yeah, what you know about the "quattro jazz quartet" from Sydney on the 44 label... funkiest vibes I heard from Australia...

peace.

Dont know shit about Australian recs, is this the bombjoint...??? When was it recorded/released ? whats up with it???
    On the vibes tip, Alan Lee, Gallery Concerts, yellow cover, you know this one,...any good...?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Any of the 80's 45s by the Stems (garage punk)

• tsotso 39 Posts
    Igniters - Igniters
    dub/ska 1981 

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

CO MUTHAFUGGIN SIGN !!

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Any of the 80's 45s by the Stems (garage punk)

I think we have a much prouder rock history and The Stems were a great band in their day."Tears me in two" 45 is the one to pick up.

AcDc

The Birthday Party

Nick cave and the bad seeds

Radio Birdman (American singer but we claim them)

Hoodoo Gurus (first lp)

The Triffids

the Saints

But respect must go to

Dead can dance

Severed heads

Ollie Olsen (Whirlywirld,No) was making elctronic music in the 70s

As an Aussie i can't be too proud of our jazz/funk/soul artists and Daly Wilson will never rock my world but we do have a good rock history. I don't listen to any of this stuff now but as a teenager in Melbourne (I am 34) we had a pretty awesome live music scene.

This is one Ausie lp i'd like to find a box of

Tamam Shud - Goolutionites OG OZ PSYCH LP NM!

End price:

GBP

End date:

2003-07-28

Start price:

GBP

Start date:

2003-07-18

Number of bids:

Auctioned at:

ebay

Australia

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Radio Birdman (American guitarist/songwriter[/b] but we claim them)

Rob Younger, the singer, is Aussie through and through. Chris Masuak is originally from Canada, and Deniz Tek hails from Ann Arbor/Detroit area. I think the drummer is originally from the UK, or lives there now. But all but Deniz emigrated as youngsters. Deniz went there for Medical school(to get as far away from his family as possible, he has joked).

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

Radio Birdman (American guitarist/songwriter but we claim them)

Rob Younger, the singer, is Aussie through and through. Chris Masuak is originally from Canada, and Deniz Tek hails from Ann Arbor/Detroit area. I think the drummer is originally from the UK, or lives there now. But all but Deniz emigrated as youngsters. Deniz went there for Medical school(to get as far away from his family as possible, he has joked).
    Thanks for the info and the Birdman lesson they certainly were a seminal band and had a huge influence on bands all over the world. I am glad you mentioned Radio Birdman cos we do have a creative musical scene here and it is accross many genres. just avoid this motherfucker his lps haunt all Australian diggers

Dont know shit about Australian recs, is this the bombjoint...??? When was it recorded/released ? whats up with it???

that cd is by my dj/turntablist crew, terntable jediz... another member is also on this site (kenny from hong kong), basically it's a bunch of beats (3 by jon doe, celph titled, etc.) with aussie rappers over it, guest appearance by celph titled on the mic, and cuts by us guys.

if anyone is interested, i will post up mp3s. aussie friggin hip-hop.

On the vibes tip, Alan Lee, Gallery Concerts, yellow cover, you know this one,...any good...?

some deadstock of this one is floating around, wouldn't pay more than $25 for it, otherwise you might be dissapointed. Dance Of The Adolescents is a cool track... you might want to check out his Self-Titled joint for some nice vibes or "The Smilor" for a nice cover of Enchanted Lady...

peace.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    glad you asked because i'm only familiar with a little:
    Radio Birdman
    def the ACDC stuff.
    also midnight oil up through blue sky mining
    INXS up through Kick (some of X is good)

recently found Ayers Rock "Big Red Rock"

I'd like to learn more about Aussie jazz and psych stuff or anything other than the obvious stuff I listed above.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i have to agree with the mack aussie records do kind of suck. i do however like quasar and john sangster-paradise. those are probably my favorites.

oh also crossfire got some good albums.

i have yet to hear arena, i hear good things. anybody got some audio files of that bad boy ?

recently found Ayers Rock "Big Red Rock"
    That's a highly underrated Lp, though it ain't too hard to find. 'Crazy Boys' is off the hook IMO. Beyond ain't too bad an LP either if you come across it.