So, what's your favourite aussie rekkid?

2»

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    i have to agree with the mack aussie records do kind of suck. i do however like quasar and john sangster-paradise. those are probably my favorites.

Dave - what have you actually heard?

Australian and New Zealand records have a distinct sound to them, and in my view this is part of their appeal. There are loads more than what have been mentioned on this thread - John Sangsters 'landscapes of middle earth' is much better than Paradise, pianist Judy Bailey had 3 or 4 albums, some of which regularly went for big bucks (i.e US$300) not so long ago (supposedly the high prices were partly due to a japanese fetish for female musicians) - colours is a nice LP tho, Spectrum were a local rock outfit with some pysch leanings - their cut superbody could almost slip into the diminishing returns pysch mix, Brain Brown's 'Carlton Streets' is one I left of my 'honourable mentions' list but could easily be there, then theres a guy called Charlie Munro who's eastern infused jazz LP 'eastern horizons' is highly sought after, and so the list goes on ... its not endless, but theres enough to fill a crate or two

The better LP's are tough to find out here, and I suspect not many made it O/S .. in part you could also reason that dudes don't like talking about them as they're still trying to locate them themselves ... but yeah, blanket statements like the one above are often inaccurate, particulary if the person making them doesn't know too much about the associated area.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    recently found Ayers Rock "Big Red Rock"
    That's a highly underrated Lp, though it ain't too hard to find. 'Crazy Boys' is off the hook IMO. Beyond ain't too bad an LP either if you come across it.

Ayers rock isn't underrated. It's your standard rock stuff. The break on Crazy Boys isn't that HOT. I never pick up copies of that LP anymore, too common and not that great for the sampler.

peace.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    recently found Ayers Rock "Big Red Rock"
    That's a highly underrated Lp, though it ain't too hard to find. 'Crazy Boys' is off the hook IMO. Beyond ain't too bad an LP either if you come across it.

Ayers rock isn't underrated. It's your standard rock stuff. The break on Crazy Boys isn't that HOT. I never pick up copies of that LP anymore, too common and not that great for the sampler.

peace.

Can I live?

It's not just a break though, it's a great song.

Sorry it's not a private press joint.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    i like to listen to records

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Chants R+B
    The Bacchus Archives CD is hot, although they were from NZ, and only in Australia for a while.

Some of the Aussie garage I've heard is great....gonna have to dig those CDs out now.

almost forgot

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    You cant do a whole thread on Aussie music without this one:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Co-Sign on Chants R&B, those 2 singles on Action "I've Been Loving You Too Long" & then "I'm Your Witchdoctor" are &

Kiwis!

• idemidem 98 Posts
    arena as a whole lp

and i personally like the dance of the adolescents

it has a very bboy feel to it .. makes me wanna throwdown ...

but what do i know ??

favorite 45

chris williams - the funky get down

col nolan - buckingham palace

these are on the mind at the moment ...

probably a lot thats on the heading in the right direction comp are my favorites hence the choice us collectors went through at the time .. discussing what was gonna go on it ... skylight wanted too much money at the time so it didn't get put on there ... and i suppose "flying saucer" was a favorite of one of the compilers ,, so "dance of the adolescents" did not get put on there rather a bruce clarke track from the same label ...

i'll read you later ,, i gotta close the shop

john..

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

I dig the "Removalists" record, but I don't know, I probably wouldn't sweat it at all if it weren't a soundtrack. Like if it were some Rare Earth break or some Patrick Williams shit I don't think I'd be on about it. Oh well...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I played this one on the radio today:

Huge cosign on this, I'm not too crazy about their debut "pissed on another planet" but every single thing they did afterwards is pure fucking genius!

All of Kim Salmon's Solo stuff is amazing:

Must have seen the Surrealists live about two dozends of times,
    same with this Band:

from here:

right up to this album:

This one probably being my favorite one:

This comp right here also has some increadible unreleased stuff:

There's also some fucking brilliant stuff by Tex Perkin's later Band The Cruel Sea, especialy the first two albums are amazing, at some point they got real big in Australia and released the pretty weak "the honeymoon is over" album. But there's some kick-ass later stuff by them, too, especially this one here:

crude mix of hardassed aussie rock and B3 instrumentals that you could spin during a funk set.

Then there's countless other cool shit from the Red Eye/Black Eye Label
    like this one for example

most of it I can't find pictures of online like Salamander Jim's "ugly breakfast"
    or the early records by Lubricated Goat which I've seen live at their peak around '89'90 and it was frightening!

Don't miss out on this man right here:

and of course everybody should own these two records:

Some of the good ones i dig that haven't really been mentioned.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    not that it sets the bar super high, but I'm feeling

I dig the "Removalists" record, but I don't know, I probably wouldn't sweat it at all if it weren't a soundtrack. Like if it were some Rare Earth break or some Patrick Williams shit I don't think I'd be on about it. Oh well...

The Electric Indian is actually the Electric Australian ???

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Don Burrows on Cherry Pie

Oh yeah, I remember that one. That's the one with the gangster groove on it, right (Tasman Connection)? Been a long time since you played it. I want to hear it again next time I come over!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    not that it sets the bar super high, but I'm feeling

Hmmm, I'm kinda baffled here too. I thought The Electric Indian was a Vince Montana-related thang (Philly Soul).

The Electric Indian

• not that it sets the bar super high, but I'm feeling

Hmmm, I'm kinda baffled here too. I thought The Electric Indian was a Vince Montana-related thang (Philly Soul).

The Electric Indian

It is (a Philly project).

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Speaking of Aussie Jazz I picked up John Sangster "joker is Wild lp" today for $2 and its a nice record

i think i will record it and put it on my ebay baby sale (wife is 3 weeks away)cos looking at popsike it goes for good loot (last time US$173).The ten dollar a week ad in the local paper has been paying off.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Kiwis!

well, we are both right, I copied this from a website:

"Crowded House will probably be remembered as one of the greatest Australian pop groups of all time (The band considered themselves Australian, although lead singer and songwriter Neil Finn is a proud New Zealander). "

Kiwis!

well, we are both right, I copied this from a website:

"Crowded House will probably be remembered as one of the greatest Australian pop groups of all time (The band considered themselves Australian, although lead singer and songwriter Neil Finn is a proud New Zealander). "

right. i was thinking of split enz.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Some of the good ones i dig that haven't really been mentioned.

Yo, whats up with the Finders Keepers, kinda looks like the Removalists record ???

Yo, whats up with the Finders Keepers, kinda looks like the Removalists record ???

It's mostly kind of orchestral, but has at least one funky cut that kinda reminds me of The Peddlers good album. This was released on the Abet label that some AC/DC stuff come out on.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    arena as a whole lp

and i personally like the dance of the adolescents
    it has a very bboy feel to it .. makes me wanna throwdown ...
    but what do i know ??

favorite 45
    chris williams - the funky get down
    col nolan - buckingham palace

these are on the mind at the moment ...

probably a lot thats on the heading in the right direction comp are my favorites hence the choice us collectors went through at the time .. discussing what was gonna go on it ... skylight wanted too much money at the time so it didn't get put on there ... and i suppose "flying saucer" was a favorite of one of the compilers ,, so "dance of the adolescents" did not get put on there rather a bruce clarke track from the same label ...

i'll read you later ,, i gotta close the shop
    john..

Word on Arena.

Johnny Rocco's gotta be there for the always forgotten "She Knockin' on my Door" !! Peeps what's goin' on here ????!!!

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

Johnny Rocco's gotta be there for the always forgotten "She Knockin' on my Door" !! Peeps what's goin' on here ????!!!

I mentioned the LP in my first post on this thread ..

nice work on yer sanger there wubwub

and I'm not looking for a debate, but Crowded House are a NZ band .. it is an Australian custom to claim things from NZ that are good as their own

Word on Arena.

I really don't dig the Johnny Roco Band Lp that much, but the truth is I haven't played it in ages.

• idemidem 98 Posts
    score on the john sangster ,, no doubt ,, you don't see that anymore !! sorry i don't check message baords that often ,, nice to see space case ,, i really rate that record ,, i got 1 up now with no bites but fu.k its rare ,, can i say that here or is it a no no ??? read ya soon fella aussie's ....

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    Charlie Munroe - 'Eastern Horizons' on Philips from 1967 is worthy of a mention. Is amongst my favorite aussie Jazz albums....Some well interesting middle/far eastern jazz cuts on here....if you like things like Lloyd Miller's 'Oriental Jazz' LP then this is for you.