best records on Stax.....(not sister labels)

P_ClendeninnP_Clendeninn 51 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
booker t and the mg's- melting pot

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Isaac Hayes-all of them

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - WATTSTAX: THE LIVING WORD
    - HOME, Delaney & Bonnie
    - BEALTITUDE: RESPECT YOURSELF, Staple Singers
    - "Memphis Train" b/w "I Think I Made A Boo Boo," Rufus Thomas
    - "I Believe In You" b/w "Love Depression," Johnnie Taylor
    - "Look Around You" b/w "Happy Human People," Black Society
    - those two Sons of Slum singles

Why no sister labels?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't know if you're calling Enterprise an off-shoot or not, but I'll still say HotButtered Soul.

Carla - Carla Thomas
    Booker T/MGs - Soul Limbo
    Jean Knight - Mr.Big Stuff
    Skin Alley - Two Quid Deal (for Bad Words And Evil People alone!)

I don't know if you're calling Enterprise an off-shoot or not, but I'll still say HotButtered Soul.

I started to say...no Stax sister labels and we wouldn't have such goodies as "In The Rain"/"Gimme Some Good Soul Music (45 by the Dramatics on Volt) and OFF THE CUFF (album by Freddie Robinson on Enterprise).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I started to say...no Stax sister labels and we wouldn't have such goodies as "In The Rain"/"Gimme Some Good Soul Music (45 by the Dramatics on Volt) and OFF THE CUFF (album by Freddie Robinson on Enterprise).

yea!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah, most of my favorite "Stax" records are on Volt (Bar-Kays, Otis, Emotions, etc) - but I'll say:

Sam & Dave - Double Dynamite
    Booker T. & the Mg's - Uptight OST & Melting Pot

45's:

Eddie Floyd - Big Bird, I've Just Been Feeling Bad
    William Bell - I Forgot to Be Your Lover
    Wendy Rene - Young & Foolish, After Laughter
    Booker T - Chinese Checkers[/b]

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    Fredrick Knight - I've been Lonely So Long

is

underrated

Fredrick Knight - I've been Lonely So Long

is

underrated

and its got one badass pedal steel

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Rufus Thomas - Do The Funky Penguin Parts 1 & 2

...ECAEP

• JJMJJM 3 Posts
    - - BEALTITUDE: RESPECT YOURSELF, Staple Singers

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

- those two Sons of Slum singles

No shit. Sons of Slumper's "What Comes Around" and "The Man" are two of my favorite songs. The band was so incredibly tight on those cuts. The horn arrangements come out of the speaker and punch you in the face. Does anyone have the reported album they made? Or info on the band?

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    I own a ton of Stax 45's... heres a quick list from memory...

Rufus Thomas -

Sophisticated Sissy
    Itch and Scratch
    Funky Penguin
    The Breakdown
    Funky Chicken

Mar-keys - Grab This Thing

Barkays -
    Soul Finger
    Memphis At Sunrise

Otis and Carla - Tramp

Albert King -
    Ill play the Blues For you
    Cold Feet

Dramatatics-
    (Gimme Some) Good Soul Music/ In The Rain
    What ya see is What ya Get

Eddie Floyd- Bring It on Home

Johnny Taylor- Stop Teasin' Me

...and a ton more!!!

• Isaac Hayes-all of them

sister labels is too easy....that's why i said no sister labels in the title of my post.

Does anyone have the reported album (that the Sons of Slum) made? Or info on the band?

They were the backing band for the Emotions. On the WATTSTAX: LIVING WORD comp, all of the Emotions tracks (except, I THINK, "Peace Be Still") featured the S.O.S. behind them.

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    Dang,
    The Emotions: Blind Alley
    gotta be a fave right there.

• Dang,
    The Emotions: Blind Alley
    gotta be a fave right there.

THAT'S ON VOLT....READ THE POST PEOPLE!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ok ,just STAX? no volt, no enterprise, no koko, no truth, no partee, no hip, no dig,etc..?...my faves then

Eddie Floyd-Big Bird
    Staple Singers-Stay with us
    Drapels-Wondering when my love is coming home
    Rufus Thomas-Funky Missisippi
    Booker T-Slim Jenkins PLace
    Wendy Rene-After Laughter
    Mable John-your good thing is about to end
    Sam and Dave-said I wasnt gonna tell nobody

and about a few dozen more.....

two more lps i forgot (that havent been mentioned)
    - albert king's I'LL PLAY THE BLUES FOR YOU
    - jimmy mccracklin's YESTERDAY IS GONE (although i have the 80's Stax reish, retitled HIGH ON THE BLUES for some obscure reason)

• slushslush 691 Posts

Jean Knight - Mr.Big Stuff
    Skin Alley - Two Quid Deal (for Bad Words And Evil People alone!)

and jean knight do me
    and every rufus thomas single

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Opus De Soul- Albert King, Pop Staples & Steve Cropper (7")
    Crown Prince of Dance- Rufus Thomas (LP)

• DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
    I just picked up the Roy Lee Johnson and the Villagers...
    it is some heat to me...

I also got a 45 by RLJ on josie, good tambien
    anybody got info on either? I'm suprised I havent heard much about dude

plus guilty pleasure "whose makin love" by Johnny Taylor

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    booker t and the mg's- melting pot

• booker t and the mg's- melting pot

otis and carla-king and queen
    soul children-s/t

I just picked up the Roy Lee Johnson and the Villagers...
    it is some heat to me...

I also got a 45 by RLJ on josie, good tambien
    anybody got info on either? I'm suprised I havent heard much about dude

Roy Lee was a member of OKeh recording artists Dr. Feelgood & the Interns, in the early sixties. He wrote "Mr. Moonlight," which the Beatles later covered (so if R.L. is still alive, hopefully he's stashing the cash).

He also recorded singles under his own name for Stax, OKeh, and Philips (where he recorded the badass swamp rocker "She Put The Whammy To Me").

plus guilty pleasure "whose makin love" by Johnny Taylor

Why would this be a guilty pleasure? Is southern soul not your thing, but you happen to love this one song? Not chastising, just wondering.

Speaking of Johnnie...look out for his 1972 single "Don't You Fool With My Soul (Parts One & Two)." I don't think this was on any album, and I believe Johnnie produced this himself. It sounds like some raw homemade funk 45 on some basement label. The band is really loose, and JT sounds like he's making the words up on the spot. It was during a transitional period, when he was phasing out the sub-Sam & Dave stompers like "Who's Making Love," but hadn't yet gone silky smooth ("Stop Doggin' Me," "I Believe In You").

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Speaking of Johnnie...look out for his 1972 single "Don't You Fool With My Soul (Parts One & Two)." I don't think this was on any album, and I believe Johnnie produced this himself. It sounds like some raw homemade funk 45 on some basement label. The band is really loose, and JT sounds like he's making the words up on the spot. It was during a transitional period, when he was phasing out the sub-Sam & Dave stompers like "Who's Making Love," but hadn't yet gone silky smooth ("Stop Doggin' Me," "I Believe In You").

The volume of Johnny Taylor 45's I have come across while digging is amazing - dude must have at least 30 singles on Stax, and there were so many of each pressed that they are just everywhere, for pennies (not even mentioning the other Johnny Taylor, of Galaxy/Ronn etc) - my two favorites are his version of the indestructable "(I Wanna) Testify," and "Shackin' Up." The LP that the former is from, "The Johnny Taylor Philosophy Continues," looks like it should be dope, and probably his best, but I have yet to find it under $25...and I'm a patient man.

I'm not sure why "whose makin love" seems a guilty pleasure, it was one of my pops

big tunes (when he was cheesing) and it seemes to me it was one of the big singles as stax

was headed down hill, like a signal of the end, and that in itself makes it a little suspect

(one of those first deadly step toward pop-disco)

maybe i am too quick to judge...

BTW, you seem to have the stax history down...

What do you know about the Temprees Love Maze LP? (I Know I am Violating Thread Rules)

I got 2 copies, one is minty, but I cant find it anyplace,,, and it is like my favorite Southern soul lp

any info would be appreciated...

I'm in the dark up here in VT,,,

The volume of Johnny Taylor 45's I have come across while digging is amazing - dude must have at least 30 singles on Stax, and there were so many of each pressed that they are just everywhere

On the strength of the singles, I probably see more JT seven-inchers than any other artist on the label (and that includes the big guns like Otis, Isaac and the Staples). Except for the last two (TAYLORED & SILK and SUPER TAYLOR), you don't see his Stax albums that often, but the singles are ubiquitous.

Never trust anybody who says that Stax went downhill after Otis Redding died in '67. Even though Johnnie was on the label when the Big O was still alive, his career took off after Otis left. Love the way Johnnie's Stax years break down in three phases: twelve-bar blues (1966-67), uptempo Sam & Dave castoffs (1968-71), and the silky ballads (1972-75). Not to mention the weird one-off funk 45 from 1972 that I mentioned above.

I'm not sure why "whose makin love" seems a guilty pleasure, it was one of my pops
    big tunes (when he was cheesing) and it seemes to me it was one of the big singles as stax
    was headed down hill, like a signal of the end, and that in itself makes it a little suspect
    (one of those first deadly step toward pop-disco)

Just so you know - my comment above about not trusting anyone who thinks Stax went downhill around '68 wasn't directed at you, but ironically it was written before I saw your post!

That said, "Who's Making Love" to me was the start of a golden age. At that point Stax still had the Staple Singers, Richard Pryor, the Dramatics, the Emotions, MELTING POT, Big Star, Rance Allen, "Mr. Big Stuff," "Woman To Woman," and WATTSTAX to look forward to, plus (from the old guard) Johnnie Taylor, the Bar-Kays, Albert King, Isaac Hayes and others. That don't look like a label in decline to me!

BTW, you seem to have the stax history down...
    What do you know about the Temprees Love Maze LP?

It's a pretty good album. The Temprees actually had three albums on We Produce (another Stax sister label) - the first one, LOVE MEN, had their hit remake of "Dedicated To The One I Love," which is probably the only version that I like! They also had a Christmas song that was reissued on an 80's Stax comp, IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME AGAIN. I think they later turned up on Epic too.

cool...no offence taken heehee

love those temprees albums...I did not know thay did a Xmas album, though I usually hate
    those things...

Thanks

P.S. I thought "whose makin love" was made in '75?