best records on Stax.....(not sister labels)

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    love those temprees albums...I did not know thay did a Xmas album

they didn't do an entire Xmas album, just the one song. i dont think it was released until the 80's on that various-artists compilation i mentioned.

and jt's "who's making love" was 1968.

• DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
    ohhhh... snap

my copy is '75, just dug it out...
    but it is a re-ish...

my previous dis about it being the end of stax greatness is retracted,
    and my head is hung in shame

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Top 45 is March wind - Do the sweetback

Top LP is Little Milton - Waiting for Little Milton from 1973, featuring 'Woman you don't have to be so cold' - stone killer.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Booker T & The MGs - Green Onions, Plum Nelly
    Mable John - Your Good Thing b/w It's Catching (one of all time fave 45s)
    Rufus Thomas - Sister's Got A Boyfriend, Memphis Train
    Sam & Dave - I Thank You

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I'm not sure if it's on sister labels but........this is THE ONLY stax album I always listen from the start to finish

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    - - BEALTITUDE: RESPECT YOURSELF, Staple Singers

The entire run of Staples Singers LPs on Stax should be required listening for anyone who says they like Soul music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    booker t and the mg's- melting pot

seriously an all time favorite.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Speaking of Johnnie...look out for his 1972 single "Don't You Fool With My Soul (Parts One & Two)." I don't think this was on any album, and I believe Johnnie produced this himself. It sounds like some raw homemade funk 45 on some basement label. The band is really loose, and JT sounds like he's making the words up on the spot. It was during a transitional period, when he was phasing out the sub-Sam & Dave stompers like "Who's Making Love," but hadn't yet gone silky smooth ("Stop Doggin' Me," "I Believe In You").

Just wanted to say, thanks for the tip on this, today I hit a regular spot where they have thousands of alphabetized 45's, but you have to ask for stuff by title...I miraculously remembered the title amongst the scores they had listed (and that you said JT was the producer), and snagged their last stock copy for $2. You're right, it's dope, especially the "live from the BBQ" style adlib vocals...I remain an official fan and beneficiary of The SoulStrut Factor?? !!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    In an effort to not duplicate names (Warning! Some of these are not funky):

Ollie & the Nightingales: I Got A Sure Thing

William Bell: Every Day Will Be Like A Holiday

William Bell: Eloise (Hang On In There)

Eddie Floyd: Got To Make A Comeback

The Bar-Kays: Humpin'

For some reason, I love the hodgepodge of The "Mar-Keys'" Memphis Experience. Their "The Great Memphins Sound" is nice, too.

And for God's sake, folks: Carla Thomas!

Just yesterday I scored a copy of Eddie Floyd's DOWN TO EARTH, which is anything BUT. Normally, Eddie was just another in Stax's endless stable of southern soul singers, but on this 1971 album he and producer Steve Cropper decide to get "ambitious" and "progressive"...lotta drawn-out endings, tempo changes in the middle of a song, hard rock guitar, country fiddle, reverb vocals, and two songs in a row that mention getting high. Not the typical semi-blues that Floyd normally does. And just like Marvin Gaye's WHAT'S GOING ON, Stevie's MUSIC OF MY MIND, Sly's RIOT, and other albums of the time, this LP has a gatefold with a photo collage. It's like a vague attempt at getting the FM rock market...and believe it or not, I think it's pretty good! Obviously, if you go into this album expecting "Knock On Wood '71" or "I've (Still) Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do)," you'll be scratching your head and wondering what's up with all the rockish touches. But for those of you who like that early 70's black prog sound of Donny, Stevie, Marvin, Curtis, Isaac and others, you might like this hard soul man's stab at that genre. Hell, if you're familiar with Floyd's music, you might be surprised he'd do something like this AT ALL.

It's like a vague attempt at getting the FM rock market...and believe it or not, I think it's pretty good! Obviously, if you go into this album expecting "Knock On Wood '71" or "I've (Still) Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do)," you'll be scratching your head and wondering what's up with all the rockish touches

Well, I've been wanting to pick this up for a while for that very reason, because Eddie has one of the best soul/rock crossover tracks ever, "Big Bird." (propped up by myself and others on this very thread) I didn't realize it was from '71, and when I heard it was a rock style collab with Cropper, I thought it might be from the same sessions as "Big Bird," but that was cut in '68, so obviously not. Seems like it was cut from the same cloth, though. Now I just gotta find a reasonably priced copy (only one around here is sealed and they want stoopid $$$ for it).

• Eddie Floyd: Got To Make A Comeback

fuck yeah, a killer ballad...definitely song I love to sing around the house sometimes.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    That first Mar-Keys with that yellow and red swirly thing on the cover (so mad I passed this up, the price was mad nice)

and for all us DEEJAY DUDES: Bar-Kays Holy Ghost (12'' version)

But yeah word on the Staple Singers albums, Bar-Kays' Humpin', and that William Bell "Forgot to be your lover".

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    That first Mar-Keys with that yellow and red swirly thing on the cover (so mad I passed this up, the price was mad nice)

yeppir... I got mine out of the thrift spot for about $1... M too... Is that that "Step To The Rear" sample by Brand Nubian I hear on there? Pete Rock "Creator" special 12" mix too...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

"The Great Memphis Sound"

Actually, their third LP (not to be a dick).

...and "Comeback" was actually the original b-side to "Knock on Wood." The Montgomery Express (Dove/Folkways) do a killer cover of this, BTW.

It's like a vague attempt at getting the FM rock market...and believe it or not, I think it's pretty good! Obviously, if you go into this album expecting "Knock On Wood '71" or "I've (Still) Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do)," you'll be scratching your head and wondering what's up with all the rockish touches

Well, I've been wanting to pick this up for a while for that very reason, because Eddie has one of the best soul/rock crossover tracks ever, "Big Bird." (propped up by myself and others on this very thread) I didn't realize it was from '71, and when I heard it was a rock style collab with Cropper, I thought it might be from the same sessions as "Big Bird," but that was cut in '68, so obviously not. Seems like it was cut from the same cloth, though.

I'd say DOWN TO EARTH is a little more experimental than "Big Bird," which had that garage-rock guitar riff but was still a standard dance number through and through. It's too bad Eddie didn't follow through on the ideas of D.T.E., because everything I've heard from him after this album sounds like typical regulation southern soul - not that there's anything wrong with that. I don't think he ever stretched out like this again.

(While we're talking about "progressive" Eddie Floyd, also look for "Oh How It Rained," a single from around the same time as the D.T.E. elpee. It's produced like an early Bill Withers record - acoustic guitar, drums and barely a hint of bass, unusually stripped down for a Stax record. It appears on the second Stax box, the one that covers 1968-71.)

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    ---This is a Euro album only. Each track is named after a street or cross section here in Memphis!

Anybody lucky enough to own this gem?

This little girl had a big helping hand in closing Stax.

If we were to do a "Worst Stax Thread" this one takes the cake.

Maybe my favorite single.

Anybody lucky enough to own this gem?

This little girl had a big helping hand in closing Stax.

Years and years ago, when I first started crate-digging, I found the 45 of "Ma!", thinking it was gonna be typical soul like I'd expect from this label. I shoulda known it was gonna be shady when I saw the flipside was "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody." It only cost a buck, so it wasn't so bad, but if I had seen the album cover first, or even just Lena's photo (remember, this 45 had no pic sleeve!), I woulda left this back in the Stax!

If we were to do a "Worst Stax Thread" this one takes the cake.

I'm glad we got through this thread safely without anybody mentioning Glenn Yarbrough!

Maybe my favorite single.

Stax wasn't known for white rock (with good reason), but this is on the short list of white rock records on that label that are worth a damn, along with Big Star, Cargoe, and few others. This is Steve Cropper and friends paying tribute to Link Wray, more or less.

Another white rock group worth a damn on Stax...Skin Alley.
    I've seen "2 Quad Deal" in this thread a few times but anybody got this one?

The track called "Instrumental" is bangin' funk!

One more time...

Also the Wendy Rene's are some fine productions from Stax.

Little known fact about this single...There are 2 different versions! One looks like this one and says "After Laughter" and is backed by "What Will Tommorow Bring." The other has the full title "After Laughter Comes Tears" and is backed by "She's Moving Away." Same record number though. I got the "What Will..." first and about 2 weeks later a friend pulled a box of 45s out of the dumpster behind his work and the "She's Moving..." was in there. At first I didn't notice but the "After Laughter" tracks were different. The background vocals didn't come in where they usually did and they sounded different. Well, I checked my expert sorces to get to the bottom of this one. Wendy Rene or "Mary Frierson"s brother Johnny Frierson comes in the shop I work at about once a week. I asked him and he said the one with "She's moving.." was the early version with himself and their other sister on backing vocals. Small press. It sarted to get some air-play and do well so when they did the second batch they put a "stronger" B-side and recut the backing vocals with all females. Johnny was also in the Drapels.

I still don't have "Young and Foolish" b/w "Bar-b-que" so ya'll need to drop it off.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ---This is a Euro album only. Each track is named after a street or cross section here in Memphis!

if you ever see anothervone of these please please please let me know

if you ever see anothervone of these please please please let me know

More Info

Overton Park Sunrise / Steve's Stroll / Duck Walk / Cotton Carnival / Midnight On McLemore / Union Extended // Avalon / Around Orange Mound / National Jackson / Beale Street Revival / Saucy Pt. 2 / Booker's Theme.

This LP was produced by Terry Manning and "post-produced by Booker T. & The MG's". It was issued in 1976 in the United Kingdom only under the Stax label and distributed by PYE Records, who owned the distribution deal at the time in Great Britain.

It is obviously an LP composed of various outtakes from the Stax vaults, one being even a previously issued track (Midnight On McLemore, coming from the "blue" Stax LP "And Now" under the name of Taboo) with just some instruments added (percussions and marimba by Terry Manning himself). Another curiosity: the intro to Overton Park Sunrise is exactly the same as the intro to the MG's version of "The Dock Of The Bay" (previously unissued, released by Ace and Fantasy on various CDs). So it appears that all these tracks had some post production surgery and Terry Manning, from Ardent studios in Memphis, one time closely associated with Stax was the master surgeon and player for most of the added instruments (He actually played the marimba on the Booker T. & The MG's hit from 1968 "Soul Limbo".

This LP had been scheduled for a CD reissue by Fantasy but was withdrawn at the last minute, probably due to copyright problems with Atlantic.

All in all, it's a very good Booker T. & The MG's album, showing their talent at its best. Many unissued tracks remain in the Stax vaults and we hope to hear more tracks in the future.

• One more time...

Also the Wendy Rene's are some fine productions from Stax.

Little known fact about this single...There are 2 different versions! One looks like this one and says "After Laughter" and is backed by "What Will Tommorow Bring." The other has the full title "After Laughter Comes Tears" and is backed by "She's Moving Away." Same record number though. I got the "What Will..." first and about 2 weeks later a friend pulled a box of 45s out of the dumpster behind his work and the "She's Moving..." was in there. At first I didn't notice but the "After Laughter" tracks were different. The background vocals didn't come in where they usually did and they sounded different. Well, I checked my expert sorces to get to the bottom of this one. Wendy Rene or "Mary Frierson"s brother Johnny Frierson comes in the shop I work at about once a week. I asked him and he said the one with "She's moving.." was the early version with himself and their other sister on backing vocals. Small press. It sarted to get some air-play and do well so when they did the second batch they put a "stronger" B-side and recut the backing vocals with all females. Johnny was also in the Drapels.
    I still don't have "Young and Foolish" b/w "Bar-b-que" so ya'll need to drop it off.

Awesome story! I think I would put that Wendy Rene at or near the top of my list too (still need to track down a copy though). I just found a complete Stax discography on the web today so thought I'd share. Stax Discog

when they did the second batch they put a "stronger" B-side

...which is a concept i dont understand. i know its way too late to worry about it, but since the b-side wasnt going to get played anyway, why would they need a "stronger" flip? some producers would make the b-side intentionally bad so it wouldnt steal airplay from the plug side.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

THE MAN
    fuck yeah, a killer
    ballad...definitely song I love to sing around the house sometimes.

Saying.
    Here's the Sons Of Slum The Man. Those horns are so ripe.

And the other side is What Goes Around.

YEA YEA YEA YEA
    TRUUUUUUUULY!

It's hard for me to find better Stax than those two jams.

• merlemerle 39 Posts
    william bell "you don't miss your water"

Here's an even better Stax Discography---http://staxrecords.free.fr/list.htm

Forgot about this one...

Both sides of this are ill! One of the more funky 45s on Stax...both sides are hard!

• I know many of these have been mentioned but a few of my faves off the top:

Carla Thomas- B-A-B-Y (nearly perfect song)

Booker T & MG's - Hip-Hug Her, Slim Jenkins Place

Eddie Floyd- Knock On Wood/Got To Make A Comeback

Johnny Taylor- It's Amazing, Take Care Of Your Homework, Who's Making Love, etc

Wendy Rene- After Laughter

MAbel John- It's Catching

Sam & Dave- you Got Me Hummin', When Something's Wrong With My Baby, Soothe Me, A Place Nobody Can Find, etc

Albert King- Born Under A Bad Sign, Laundromat Blues

William Bell- You Don't Miss Your Water, "Till My Back Ain't Got No Bone, PRivate Number

Jusy Clay- you Can't Run Away From Your Heart/Takes A Lotta Good Love