Will.I.Am = killing it?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Some of you are confusing an ability to provoke a "Gee, this is surprisingly decent for that dude" type reaction with dude actually killing it.

Seriously. A couple of months ago this place was a Will.I.Am lynch mob, and now all of a sudden he's "killin' it".

The man is an epigone. He's clever at incorporating familiar elements that are instantly appealing to a wide array of listeners, but it's also very nondescript and disposable IMO.

• every time i go to a shit club or any club for that matter i can be sure to hear at least 5 of this guy's productions and they always get the place moving but the only thing will.i.am is killing is my desire to go out to clubs. dude is , not that there is anything wrong with that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some of you are confusing an ability to provoke a "Gee, this is surprisingly decent for that dude" type reaction with dude actually killing it.

You are all little dudes and know nothing about rap.

And I am especially disappointed in the one Phill.

Will.I.Am > Just Blaze in 2006.

Yeah, I went there.

I'm almost inclined to follow. I've heard a good many beats by him lately where I've thought, "this is really good - I wonder who it is?", and it's turned out to be him.

I think it's funny how some folks wanna take a pop because he uses straight loops. Record-nerds might care about that shit, but I doubt the wider public gives a fuck. And when JC Davis sees his royalty check, I doubt he'll give much of a fuck, either.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    hmmmmmmmmm Michael Jackson, Will.i.am Collaborating

POSTED: 5:35 am EST October 31, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:35 am EST October 31, 2006

BURBANK, Calif. -- Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas can count the King of Pop among his fans. Michael Jackson invited the rapper-producer to collaborate on some new tracks for an upcoming album. That led to the two getting together at a recording studio in Ireland, Jackson says in a two-part interview with "Access Hollywood" set to air Thursday and Friday.

"I like what he is doing and thought it would be interesting to collaborate or just see how the chemistry worked," Jackson says. "I think he's doing wonderful, innovative, positive, great music."

Jackson hasn't released a new record since 2001. But he says he never stopped writing music.

"I am always writing a potpourri of music," he says. "I want to give the world escapism through the wonder of great music and to reach the masses."

In recent years, Jackson has promised various projects that he has yet to deliver, including a benefit single for Hurricane Katrina victims. He has also said he plans to release a new album in 2007 produced by a Bahrain-based record label.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    the melody in that new Game track is borrowing Stakes Is high.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Michael Jackson invited the rapper-producer to collaborate on some new tracks for an upcoming album.
    It's never too late to regret passing on those Neptunes tracks that Justin got for Justified, eh?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, I went there.

Oliver, you thought that the Busta track was "hot to def".

I can't even take this seriously.

Dude's got a track on almost every new release I hear lately--and it's invariably some lackluster terd that I have no desire to revisit.

If Will.I.Am > Just Blaze in 2006, then where is his "Talkin' to You" or his "Kingdom Come"?

• Back when BBE was doing those producer's producer records (Welcome 2 Detroit, Petestrumentals, etc.) I remember not thinking much of Will.I.Am's attempt. I seem to remember him having picked up some popularity at this time, since his installment followed a handful of legends, and I've always been confused how Will.I.Am even gained any sort of legitimacy as a producer, especially after a song like "That's the Joint." About all I can think of was good timing.

I don't care for his new stuff at all--it sounds real corny to me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Will.i.Am is fucking garbage. You want to know why? Because he's pretty much taken decades of innovative, fresh, and dope digging, beat chopping, and production done by all the legends (Pete Rock, Large Professor, Dilla, you get the point) and DUMBED IT DOWN for mass consumption. I remember reading about how he works in the studio and just thinking wow, what an idiot. He basically gets a drum break and then takes a bunch of shit that doesn't fit together, uses Pitch n' Time to make it all fit and harmonize, and calls it a beat.

Honestly I really don't give a shit if his shit sounds good in the club, because again, it's nothing new. People have been doing what he does for a LONG time, and doing much more creatively, and never got the respect. I'm certain that if he wanted to he could make some really dope music, but instead he makes dumb shit and produces songs for a girl who peed her pants onstage. He dumbed down what had the potential to be a decent hip-hop group (BEP). And now people think that the BEP are a hip-hop group. BEP is a fucking marketing tool.

I don't know man, this shit just irks me the wrong way. I'm from the school of thought that if you're gonna make music for other people to listen to, try something new, put some flavor into it of your own. I don't care if you're the bandleader, the producer, or the guy playing the cymbals in the orchestra. Love it or hate it, shit like the Whisper Song by Mr. Collipark was effing brilliant. When Pharell did "when the last time" for Clipse, it was fire. Not to mention Kanye's beats (lyrics are another story). You can still be original and make dope club / top 40 music.

So in short, Oliver, Will.i.Am < Just Blaze. The best club producer out there right now in my book is Rick Rock, no doubt about that one.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm gonna ignore that last boring anti-MC Hammer-style post and just say that I think the dude's beats is pretty hottt right now and that if it wasn't for King O-Dub would be right re: JB vs. WIA

What I like about WIA is how mercenary his shit is, how he can go from a straight miami bass rip to a groanable ripoff jackmove to some seriously hott fire sample-based steez to a weird prince track (diddy).

I'm gonna ignore that last boring anti-MC Hammer-style post and just say that I think the dude's beats is pretty hottt right now and that if it wasn't for King O-Dub would be right re: JB vs. WIA

What I like about WIA is how mercenary his shit is, how he can go from a straight miami bass rip to a groanable ripoff jackmove to some seriously hott fire sample-based steez to a weird prince track (diddy).

Yes. My only point is that he's constantly biting without adding anything fresh. And for the record MC Hammer is a pimp.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    the Whisper Song by Mr. Collipark was effing brilliant.

To steal a favorite faux_rillism, please be serious.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, the beats just blaze did for king alone will eclipse anything will i am will ever come out with

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The best club producer out there right now in my book is Rick Rock, no doubt about that one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The best club producer out there right now in my book is Rick Rock, no doubt about that one.

Naw man, credit where it's due. I don't listen to it, don't even have a copy, but my point is that it was creative, and that's what counts. Sure, any day I'd rather throw on some J Dilla, a shitload of other music, but I feel like to some degree you can't diss creativity beyond a simple "I don't like it."

• Some of you are confusing an ability to provoke a "Gee, this is surprisingly decent for that dude" type reaction with dude actually killing it.

Yeah, I went there.

Dude's got a track on almost every new release I hear lately--and it's invariably some lackluster terd that I have no desire to revisit.

If Will.I.Am > Just Blaze in 2006, then where is his "Talkin' to You" or his "Kingdom Come"?

How come everytime you come around,
    My London, London bridge, wanna go down like,
    London, London, London, wanna go down like,
    London, London, London, we goin??? down like

OH SHIT!!!

there you have it, you

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah, I went there.

OH SHIT!!!

there you have it, you

With all due respect, Phill, Will.I.Am did NOT produce "London Bridge."

• With all due respect, Phill, Will.I.Am did NOT produce "London Bridge."

Oh.

Never mind.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Regardless im with Phil. Will I Am =
    Can he make catchy pop songs? Most defiently
    Is he creative and original with his samples? Hardly.
    Is anyone still going to be listening to his shit in ten years time? doubtful.

• Regardless im with Phil. Will I Am =
    Can he make catchy pop songs? Most defiently
    Is he creative and original with his samples? Hardly.

I was calling my mortal enemy faux rillz a flaming pop tart, not will.i.am. I have no problem whatsoever with will.i.am.

Let me guess: you also think that the one Jermaine Dupri is a production genius.

Yeah, I went there.

OH SHIT!!!

there you have it, you

That's Polow da Dan, you poptart.

What do you know about that Jim Crow?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    guys

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Let me guess: you also think that the one Jermaine Dupri is a production genius.

Dude gets to see Janet neekid. That's genius !!!!!!!!!!

Dude gets to see Janet neekid. That's genius a disgusting glimpse of silicone !!!!!!!!!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I'll take that bet.

If you want to interpret this as some kind of endorsement of will.i.am's skills, go right ahead. But I should point out that, like him or not, dude has sold millions of records, so it's pretty much a given that there'll be people listening to his shit in ten years' time. It's not often that someone completely falls off the radar after scoring a grip of worldwide hits, particularly when they've clearly got as good an ear for what regular folks will go for as he has. After all, you don't get a "please save my career" call from Michael Jackson because you're "creative and original" with your samples - you get it because you make hits. Adhering to a more noble creative aesthetic can be admirable, but let's not forget what really makes the world turn as far as this caper's concerned.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    his clothes are weird, his ass is big and he dances like a freak.

i think he is funny.

my wife likes to dance to his music.

WIA is cool.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yeah, I went there.

dude, seriously, okay so just blaze might be hamming it up a bit with all the live musicians, but what the hell are you talking about?

Will I am did a couple of songs i dont hate.

He is still a huge cornball. Notice how that timberlake song is pretty dope till the will i am part? His verse ruins the whole fucking thing for me.

The compton track is cool, but his hook is gay. And to say that he is better than just blaze is just foolishness.

I can respect him getting money cause i respect money. And I dont care if hes flipping familiar samples at all. Just blaze is using superfreak. And i guess co-writing ordinary people is kinda impressive. but most of his shit is still corny whitebread type ish.

Polow the don is killing them both right now though.

When i first heard that fergie track i was like "HOLY SHIT WILL I AM MADE A BANGER!!!" but then it turns out it was really just a polow track.

And that "throw some D's" track he just did for richboy is so good i want to start another thread about it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Dude gets to see Janet neekid. That's genius !!!!!!!!!!

briefly, when i first heard the beat to ooohhh i think they like me, i considered the notion that jermaine might be a production genius. Then i found out Parlae, or pimpin, or whatever his name is made that bitch in fruity loops and I dispelled the notion completely.